Navy says laser warfare is operational

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    I'm anxiously awaiting my edc laser pistol.

you'll never see a rifle much less a pistol, or they will keep them restricted or priced out of reach. Could you imagine the ramifications of such a weapon in hand-held form? Not to mention there would be no investigation if someone shot someone else. What ballistics would they have? No casings, no residue, etc.

You'd find people all over the place with just large cauterized holes through their head or torso. Think about someone's ability to assassinate anyone they wanted and have no traces as to where the shot came from... especially if it's infra red! haha.

It couldn't be regulated properly... so it will never happen. Besides, lasers are regulated by the FDA, so do they have to share that responsibility with the ATF? Or would the ATF even be involved considering the weapon doesn't actually FIRE a projectile and isn't a "firearm".

Too much to even wrap around. (Not that I wouldn't want one!!)

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    you'll never see a rifle much less a pistol, or they will keep them restricted or priced out of reach. Could you imagine the ramifications of such a weapon in hand-held form? Not to mention there would be no investigation if someone shot someone else. What ballistics would they have? No casings, no residue, etc.

You'd find people all over the place with just large cauterized holes through their head or torso. Think about someone's ability to assassinate anyone they wanted and have no traces as to where the shot came from... especially if it's infra red! haha.

It couldn't be regulated properly... so it will never happen. Besides, lasers are regulated by the FDA, so do they have to share that responsibility with the ATF? Or would the ATF even be involved considering the weapon doesn't actually FIRE a projectile and isn't a "firearm".

I'll bet its miniaturized for military use in my lifetime.

kingfhb

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    I'll bet its miniaturized for military use in my lifetime.

Small enough for a pistol? That may be a reach. The power requirements would have the individual wearing a 1000lb backpack. MAYBE a rifle... But still... lugging around the power needed to produce the beam and intensity of the beam would be horrible! Either that or bring some LONG extension cords! haha...

Maybe we will see some Tesla science incorporated... some wireless electrical stations that could power the units in the field. I mean, we can't have devices now that can run longer than a couple of hours powering an LED screen... think of the power that would be needed to produce a laser concentrated enough to cause actual damage. Then think of either scrapping the battery or charging it just to fire another shot.

It's definitely hurdles... but I think the power is the main one. Fitting it into a handheld, shoulder mounted or rifle shouldn't be that difficult.

Definitely interesting though.

Craig8sm

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2014
    Baton Rouge
    My old girl USS Ponce (LPD-15) still blazing trails. They keep trying to decommission her but she isn’t going quietly. We were a SOF platform in the days leading up to the Gulf War, I hear she still continues that role but now is a ops platform for experimental weapons, (Was the first to launch and land drones now Lasers..) If only I was 20 years younger.

Charles1959

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Covington, La.
    This is the coolest weapon around, until someone else has one. Won't be so cool then. You can bet China and Russia are bustin-ass trying to keep up with this technology and sooner or later they will have it. No residue, no ballistics, no sound, no trace. The battlefield is about to become exponentially more dangerous.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie

Whut? So people will start murdering each other because they have lasers? :rolleyes:

"Arms" is "arms." One day it'll happen.

kingfhb

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    Arms IS arms? -- :rofl: I'm just saying it will be a whole new world of regulations, monitoring, etc. There would be no evidence to pin any crime committed with them to anyone... Shooting a lock off a door, arson, murder, terrorism, etc... Anything that could be done with a match, bullet, anything with no one to tie it to. I didn't say it wouldn't happen in general... Just for civilians. You may see it on the news... But you'll never have one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    OK I don't get this. Aren't lasers LOS, (line of sight), and doesn't artillery go much further than that? Seems to me that 16" guns trump lasers.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Cognac.cal
    Top Bottom