Need a little advice on shotgun .

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jms

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 25, 2009
    Franklinton,La.
    I am in the market for a 12 gage pump shotgun modified or open chamber . While at Walmart's last night I spotted a Mossberg 500 for $249 .My first thought was to purchase but it said Accu Choke . I am not familiar with that so I come home and search the computer ,all I get is ,poly choke which I am familiar with from years ago. However the clerk didn't know if there was anything that screwed on barrel . From what I gather I have to buy thaT EXTRA ACCORING TO INTERNET . All I need is a Mod. / open choke barrel for rabbit hunting . Can I use the 28 ' barrel gun without attaching anything or will the threads inside barrel be ruined ?

If anyone has a used 12 gage pump any brand in good working order for sale . I will entertain any information. Thanks .

Mojo Rider

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Denham Springs
    The Mossberg Accu Choke system used on the model 500 is available in Full, Modified and Improved cylinder. Not sure if the gun is sold with all three chokes but the one at Walmart would surely be sold with at least one.

Isaac-1

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2011
    DeRidder LA
    Most / all current production pump shotguns use screw in chokes that screw into threads cut into the inside of the front end of the barrel, many compaines have their own proprietary chokes "Accu Choke" may be the name that is used fo the ones that work with Mossbergs (some companies even have more than one product line of incompatible chokes which causes real confusion). Firing any of these without a choke in place will damage the threads on the inside of the barrel. I am not sure about the lower end models, but it is fairly common for shotguns to come from the factory with 2 or 3 screw in chokes included, and the various sizes can usually be bought in the $20-30 range

Mojo Rider

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Denham Springs
    Just read posts on other sites by folks that purchased a Mossberg 500 from WallyWorld and they mentioned the shotgun coming with multiple chokes. The staff at Walmart won't know anything about shotguns until High Point comes out with one. I'd go back and check the box and you'll find the chokes in there.

sloppy joe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    you can check pawn shops now since duck season is pretty much over for an alright deal on a 500 but its mid summer when i always find $100 mossberg 12 ga 500s. saw off 8" on a 28" barrel and you have a great rabbit, home defense, truck gun.

jms

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 25, 2009
    Franklinton,La.
    Thanks for your input guys . The gun had 28" wrote on it adding another 2-3 inches would destroy my ploy . I am calling back to Walmars now ,maybe a diff. clerk that knows more .

For pawn shops I am close to MS. I think a Louisiana resident can buy long guns up there , Few pawn shops here.

Dustin-R

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Abbeville, Louisiana
    Thanks for your input guys . The gun had 28" wrote on it adding another 2-3 inches would destroy my ploy . I am calling back to Walmars now ,maybe a diff. clerk that knows more .

For pawn shops I am close to MS. I think a Louisiana resident can buy long guns up there , Few pawn shops here.

Some chokes fit completely inside the barrel. So if it is 28 inches it would be 28 inches with the choke. I think that is the way the "accu choke" is. NOT all chokes are like this. Some do protrude pass the end of the barrel..Again I do think the accu choke is fully inside. Just go look at it and see.
    Example.....................

choke_zps2fe498fe.jpg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom