Need a safe recommendation - Cannon Safes?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I'm going to be buying a safe sometime this year. Preferably a tall gun safe. I know that Richie's PnG did a Cannon group buy a few years ago, but I was still moving from city to city and didn't bother with a safe. Now that I'm settled in, it's time to get something more permanent.

My requirements are:
    - Must be able to secure to the floor with mechanical or chemical adhesive anchors.
    - Must be at least a 12 gun safe (although it will be mainly used for other things besides firearms).
    - I'd prefer it to cost me under $1,000. Realistically, I'd like to spend $5-600, but you get what you pay for and I don't mind buying better quality.
    - I'd also prefer it to be delivered to my home. I can get it in the house, once it's in my driveway.

I'm looking for a safe to keep children's grubby hands out. I'm not so much looking for an impenetrable safe that weighs 3,000lbs and can't be stolen. If thieves want it bad enough, they will figure out a way to get it. Do any of you guys have recommendations?

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    Any of the big box store safes should do what you want. (Not gun security cabinet)
    Electronic or mechanical, your choice.

Have you watched the youtube video on choosing a safe?
    If not I can find it. It is a wealth of information.

EDIT:
    Get a 24 gun or bigger if you have the space. They fill up fast.

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Any of the big box store safes should do what you want. (Not gun security cabinet)
    Electronic or mechanical, your choice.

Have you watched the youtube video on choosing a safe?
    If not I can find it. It is a wealth of information.

EDIT:
    Get a 24 gun or bigger if you have the space. They fill up fast.

I should have clarified a little better. I'd prefer to get a quality brand, but a smaller safe. That's why I asked about Cannon.

I've seen that video at one point in time, but it seems a little irrelevant to my interests. I'm not looking for a fortress. Just something reliable, that isn't a Stack-On ammo cabinet or some cheapo junk from Tractor Supply.

24 gun is too big, I don't collect firearms, hunt, or want to be a super solider militia member, so I don't have 30 rifles and shotguns.

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    I've had the Cannon Tall Wide body for 7-8 years.
    It can be bolted down through the floor.
    I wanted something large with slightly more protection than a wooden cabinet with glass doors. I'm not delusional about the level of protection this safe provides, and am very pleased with the purchase.
    Mine has a SG electronic lock that has been trouble free, I change the battery every Jan 1st even though it doesn't need to be done that often.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I've had the Cannon Tall Wide body for 7-8 years.
    It can be bolted down through the floor.
    I wanted something large with slightly more protection than a wooden cabinet with glass doors. I'm not delusional about the level of protection this safe provides, and am very pleased with the purchase.
    Mine has a SG electronic lock that has been trouble free, I change the battery every Jan 1st even though it doesn't need to be done that often.

Thank you for your reply!

Tx_oil

Tx_oil
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Youngsville
    I got my Cannon safe from Tractor Supply. If you can wait a bit, they will always have sales before Memorial day and July 4th, and the Cannon safes they carry will be $100-$150 discounted during these sales. They will also load the safe in your truck for you.

freedive10

-Global Mod-, Caballoloco
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Mandeville
    I have the Cannon Series CA23. I did not know if I would be happy with the digital lock but I'm on year 6 and I open it at a minimum of 2 times a day. Never an issue. I actually like it more especially at night when I need to get in quick. When the battery needs changing, it beeps to remind you.

-It has method to secure to the floor.
    -24 gun +
    -I paid $999 on special from Academy about 6yrs ago but I see it on sale every once in a while.
    http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/cannon-safe-cannon-series-24-gun-home-and-office-safe/pid-791875?color=Hammertone+Black&N=626381016+4294965690
    -As far as delivery, I had to pick it up in my truck. It is well packaged and easy to get in the back ot a truck with a little help. You will need a couple friends and a heavy duty dolly to move it into the house.
    - Intertek-ETL verified at 1,200°F for 60 minutes; UL rated

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I got my Cannon safe from Tractor Supply. If you can wait a bit, they will always have sales before Memorial day and July 4th, and the Cannon safes they carry will be $100-$150 discounted during these sales. They will also load the safe in your truck for you.

That is good to know. I'll have to go and measure the safe. I have access to an enclosed trailer with a ramp to get inside, but it's right at/or under 5'-6".

Saintsfan6

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 6, 2014
    Texas
    I got lucky with a Cannon gun safe for half price because I am friends with the manager at a local academy and they had a safe that was "damaged" (small dent) so they sold it for half off. I like my Cannon and feel it provides adequate protection for my firearms.

TheLawson

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    New Orleans
    I have a Cannon 24 gun safe. I have been happy with mine, I have an electric lock model and I wish it was manual - still, it's never failed or given any problems (short of a dead battery once).

It can be bolted to the floor, it has a pass through for electric, and it's fire rated for at least a little while. Mine isn't bolted down. I figure if they want to carry it out and load it in a truck, they can have it. I keep about 8 guns in mine, several thousand rounds or ammo in the other gun 'bay,' some important documents, and some items of value, so we likely have the same use. Overall I'm happy with it.

FYI: I have never heard anything good about the secureram lock that mine has. I've never hand any issues with mine, but I have been told I should replace it before it goes out, and it WILL go out. Like I said, I've never had a problem...

Last edited:

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    Tractor Supply, Academy, Cablea's, Bass Pro, ect. all carry Canon or equivalent safes.
    They usually have safes on sale around any holiday, or if you can find scratch and dent like Saintsfan did, that's even better.
    Just remember that a 12 gun safe will only hold 8-10 guns unless none have scopes or pistol grips. If you plan to keep anything else in it that can also use up the room. (ie. ammo, mags, papers, etc.)
    There are a couple of different options for hanging handguns on the door, this also infringes on long gun space a little.

You'll need at least 3 strong backs and preferably an appliance dolly with kickback wheels.
    168031_01.gif

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Tractor Supply, Academy, Cablea's, Bass Pro, ect. all carry Canon or equivalent safes.
    They usually have safes on sale around any holiday, or if you can find scratch and dent like Saintsfan did, that's even better.
    Just remember that a 12 gun safe will only hold 8-10 guns unless none have scopes or pistol grips. If you plan to keep anything else in it that can also use up the room. (ie. ammo, mags, papers, etc.)
    There are a couple of different options for hanging handguns on the door, this also infringes on long gun space a little.

You'll need at least 3 strong backs and preferably an appliance dolly with kickback wheels.
    168031_01.gif

Getting a furniture/appliance dolly should be no problem. I won't be storing more than two long guns, that's why I'm not worried about size.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Cruisewitro
    Top Bottom