Need advice on blackpowder rifle value

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rgudan

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2012
    St.Charles Parish
    I am being offered a 1970 thompson center arms hawken in beautiful shape .45 cal stock has some minor engraving what is something like this worth the new ones are selling for about 350 on gunbroker but this one is old and gorgeous im just trying to find what is it worth? any help appreciated

Last edited:

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    The .45 increases the value a fair bit. But there were a flood of them made from the 70's thru 2000's.
    Is it a green mountain barrel?

rgudan

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2012
    St.Charles Parish
    well to tell you the truth im not sure ive been looking at pics of older ones from thompson and none of them look like this they look similar but this one has engravings on the stock. i really know nothing about muzzleloaders other than the basics. im not sure when the last time it was shot im not sure how the barrels hold up to time and pressures and what not. i have some pics but i can never get them to post. i dont think there is any writing on the barrel the lock system has engravings as well its a very beefy looking rifle its got 2 triggers on it. are these safe to shoot if its that old i mean 1970 isnt that old for guns but i really just dont know if you know anything about these guns i can pm you my number and text you some pics any advice is welcome i really love the rifle i just dont want to give up my pistol for it if its not worth it

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    I've fired muzzle loaders made before there was an America(Brown Bess) as long as the bore is clean and the barrel has no bulges you are good to shoot it.
    The green mountain symbol is mountain peaks in a circle. A green mountain barrel adds value.
    As you will likely only get $200-$250 for it I would just keep it.
    Oh, and engraving rarely adds much value, unless there is tons, or it is done by somebody famous.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    joshualectric
    Top Bottom