Need advice on selling an AR-15

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • snowman

Been there, done that
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 7, 2020
    SE Baton Rouge, La.
    I have a higher-end AR-15 with factory installed gas piston system and adjustable gas block that I plan on selling this year. The only non-factory part is the 3-3.5 lb. trigger, which costs well over $200 today. Will I have a better chance of selling it (a) with the upgraded trigger and a slightly higher price reflecting that, or (b) replace the trigger with a standard milspec unit as it originally had, and sell the gun and upgraded trigger separately?

Last edited:

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I have a higher-end AR-15 with factory installed gas piston system and adjustable gas block that I plan on selling this year. The only non-factory part is the 3-3.5 lb. trigger, which costs well over $200 today. Will I have a better chance of selling it (a) with the upgraded trigger and a slightly higher price reflecting that, or (b) replace the trigger with a standard milspec unit as it originally had, and sell the gun and upgraded trigger separately?
    My view is that at this point it's a used trigger in a used rifle and it needs to be priced at a discount. I'd say that a $200 trigger, in my opinion, adds $50ish in value to the rifle. Some may value it more highly and others may not care about the trigger.

hotbiggun

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 25, 2023
    Louisiana
    Gas piston ARs arent desireble. With the exception of a few gun manufacturres who build them right. Sell with the trigger imo. Expect to get -25% of the current market price. Dont be afraid to haggle ffs

twinin

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    May 5, 2017
    Houma
    I believe it would sell easier with the mil-spec trigger at a lower price.
    1) Lower price gives you a larger market of buyers
    2) Buyers who do not like that particular trigger may not want it and replace it anyway

MetalVendor

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    86   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Jefferson
    Just some input on my recent experience. I had a very nice LMT listed with a $200 trigger installed and upgraded BCM furniture. Posted it for what I thought was a pretty decent price considering the rifle was unfired and my price was well below anything I could find anywhere online, new or used. No hits. After a while I finally got a couple hits from people interested only if I put the factory trigger and furniture back on. Take that for what you will, but you may be better taking your upgraded trigger out. Or better yet, take the advice of Bigchillin and list two separate prices, one with and one without. Good luck.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    MSRP + their bubbah tax lol
    They also think since you don't have to pay tax, or fill out a 4473 or BOS (Get just a Nod, Nod, Wink, )Wink sale. Just hand cash and get It that's a premium.
    Also some ads do say at times broken in. Like them having spent money on ammo and time is also a,savings..... used to happen plenty when ammo was higher and costly.......

snowman

Been there, done that
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 7, 2020
    SE Baton Rouge, La.
    They also think since you don't have to pay tax, or fill out a 4473 or BOS (Get just a Nod, Nod, Wink, )Wink sale. Just hand cash and get It that's a premium.
    Also some ads do say at times broken in. Like them having spent money on ammo and time is also a,savings..... used to happen plenty when ammo was higher and costly.......
    I'm sure the caricature you paint exists but, in my limited selling experience, I always do a BOS with DL with no problem. For a rifle, "broken in" could mean "broken down" if it's got a high round count with an eroded throat.

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    Hope this isn't one of those "St George" guys trolling us plebs.

I had to read 340s post abut a dozen times before I figured it out, he should write word puzzles.

The secret squirrel trigger will likely sell better on the side. Its not going to add much to the complete rifle.

Top Bottom