Need ammo help for my SA 1911 FIXED UPDATE

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tater

Mud Puppy
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Leesville
    Santa brought me a SA light weight operator. It feeds ball rounds no issue. However when I put in Remington jhp, it fails to feed about once a mag. It ejects, then when the slide comes forward, it jams the round between the slide and the ramp. I'm assuming it's because of the flat nose of the jhp. Any self defense loads y'all suggest to fix this?

Last edited:

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    These are supposed to cure that problem and are actually supposed to be good rounds overall.

powrball_lg.jpg
    CORBON%20Pow%27RBall.jpg
    45ACP%20+P%20165gr%20Pwrbll%20CorBonX.JPG

Last edited:

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    also, have you tried different magazines or was it all with the same mag? sometimes the bend radius on the lips is too great and won't allow the rounds to pop up at the right angle. ball ammo is not affected as much by that as the HP are. I've had to rework a couple of mags with a dremel tool for that.

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    check magazines,, or download one less and see how it does.. it shouldnt be doing that with any ammo.

you guys beat me to it.. all well.. I will leave it up

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Any modern 1911 should feed any ammo. Some better mags (Wilson Combat, etc) may help but is sort of a band-aid fix. Polishing the feed ramp may also help. The real solution would be send it back to Springfield as mentioned, though I know it's hard to send off a brand new toy. :hs:

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    As mentioned b4 sounds like a combination between mags and feed ramp, I would high polish the feed ramp and replace mags, could be that the upper mouth on your barrell is not wide enough for a flat round and gets it stuck.

nickatnite

Crybaby Hater...
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 27, 2007
    Prairieville, La
    Polish the feed ramp first, then worry about the mags if that doesn't solve the problem.

Also, it might help to see what type of feed ramp he has too!

There are ramped or fully supported barrels that require a modified frame. The standard 1911 has part of the feed ramp on the frame and part on the barrel.

feed-ramps.jpg

Last edited:

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Do not grind, polish only!!

This x 627283618. If you use a Dremel, use only a polishing tip. You don't want to remove any metal. I typically start lightly with 600 grit paper wrapped around a dowel, followed up lightly by the Dremel with polishing tip and some light compound, and finally some hand polishing with Flitz or Simichrome. All of my pistols get this treatment whether they need it or not. :D

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    This is what it your barrel and ramp should look like, note the opening on the barrell mouth mostly how high your sides should be for it to feed wand cutters, good BBL geometry makes all the diference in the world with a 1911 but PLEASE dont take my word for it, ask Hilton Yam with 10-8 Performance.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Tater

Mud Puppy
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Leesville
    problem fixed. apparently some CMC mags was the solve. Still might get some pow'r balls to carry but 100 rds through with no FTF.

Baldrik78

Misanthrope Savant
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    If a mag change "fixed" the issue, it may actually be another issue - the extractor. Sometimes they are just not tuned correctly. I had one that was entirely too tight and the gun would not feed from Wilson magazines at all. I don't have any links handy, but I found a how-to on a 1911 forum. Took about 10-15 minutes to do.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dpoirier63
    Top Bottom