Need burrito recipe

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • toddrod

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 14, 2007
    Vacherie, LA
    Since I have plenty of pork and venison I am looking to make a couple of dozen of burritos to put in the freezer individually, vacuumed packed, so my kids (and me) can take them out as needed. I have thought about doing a pulled pork one with just the pork, lettuce, jalepenos and cheese, but I am looking for other combinations. Let me hear what recipes you have. Oh, I am not a tamale fan, which is why I am looking at the burrito route.

dww

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 17, 2010
    Grayson
    I've got a super quick recipe I use when the kids want tacos. It'll work for burritos too. Put 3 boneless and skinless chicken breast in a microwave dish. I use a 1 1/2 qt Pyrex dish. Then I slice some onion over the top as well as a 1/2 tsp minced garlic. Then pour a can of chopped green chilies over that(4 oz). If you want you may put 1/2 cup of taco sauce or other salsa you like on top of that. That's optional, try with and without to see which you like better.
    Anyway wrap the whole thing up tight with plastic wrap so it'll steam in the microwave and cook 8 - 10 min depending on the power. Shred with 2 forks and if it's too thin cook a little more uncovered until it's thick enough.

A quick pico to go with it is great. I dice 2 tomatoes, 1/2 a white onion, 1/2 a jalapeno and chop a handful of cilantro, toss in a bit of salt and sprinkle with about 2Tbls lime juice. Set in the fridge for a hour to blend the flavors.

dww

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 17, 2010
    Grayson
    I've got a super quick recipe I use when the kids want tacos. It'll work for burritos too. Put 3 boneless and skinless chicken breast in a microwave dish. I use a 1 1/2 qt Pyrex dish. Then I slice some onion over the top as well as a 1/2 tsp minced garlic. Then pour a can of chopped green chilies over that(4 oz). If you want you may put 1/2 cup of taco sauce or other salsa you like on top of that. That's optional, try with and without to see which you like better.
    Anyway wrap the whole thing up tight with plastic wrap so it'll steam in the microwave and cook 8 - 10 min depending on the power. Shred with 2 forks and if it's too thin cook a little more uncovered until it's thick enough.

A quick pico to go with it is great. I dice 2 tomatoes, 1/2 a white onion, 1/2 a jalapeno and chop a handful of cilantro, toss in a bit of salt and sprinkle with about 2Tbls lime juice. Set in the fridge for a hour to blend the flavors.

I forgot to add that when you use this recipe with pork, it works much better in a slow cooker.

Scott.Thornton

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Denham Area
    How about canned burritos? No need for refrigeration with those, but I do not know how. Sorry but I have a bunch of frozen stuff, now looking to learn hot to store stuff without electricity.

03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville
    How about canned burritos? No need for refrigeration with those, but I do not know how. Sorry but I have a bunch of frozen stuff, now looking to learn hot to store stuff without electricity.

I don't think the tortilla would hold up being canned.

I use to do this a bunch at my apartment. Mainly I would use ground beef prepared for tacos or chicken and steak prepared for fajitas. Then I make the burritos with cooked Spanish rice, refried beans and cheese were the staple items, often I would add a selection of peppers and onion and whatever else I could find. I recommend freezing these separately (I used foil) and using the smaller burritos, prefer the extra large size but having to reheat a 10" burrito that weighs 2lb from a frozen state is a PITA.

Also when these come out of the oven after reheating I swear they are better than the first time. If you come across (or make) a good chile con carne recipe be sure to share it.

Scott.Thornton

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Denham Area
    I don't think the tortilla would hold up being canned.

I use to do this a bunch at my apartment. Mainly I would use ground beef prepared for tacos or chicken and steak prepared for fajitas. Then I make the burritos with cooked Spanish rice, refried beans and cheese were the staple items, often I would add a selection of peppers and onion and whatever else I could find. I recommend freezing these separately (I used foil) and using the smaller burritos, prefer the extra large size but having to reheat a 10" burrito that weighs 2lb from a frozen state is a PITA.

Also when these come out of the oven after reheating I swear they are better than the first time. If you come across (or make) a good chile con carne recipe be sure to share it.

Will do. Learning how to do anything without electricity, and some things aren't possible. I will lean how to do burritos though. One way or another " water bath or pressure canner" I love to experiment.

03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville
    Will do. Learning how to do anything without electricity, and some things aren't possible. I will lean how to do burritos though. One way or another " water bath or pressure canner" I love to experiment.

I just don't know how you would keep the tortilla's from getting soggy and falling apart, but if you figure it out I bet their is money to be made.

toddrod

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 14, 2007
    Vacherie, LA
    So I ended up trying a batch of breakfast burritos since everything was already in the ice box. I scrambled up 12 eggs, cooked 2 lbs of my homemade breakfast sausage, sauteed some onions, jalepenos and bell peppers, and used some shredded Velveta cheese. Wrapped them up in a flour tortilla and then wrapped the burrito in a paper towel, then aluminum foil, and put them in the freezer. After frozen, put in the microwave, still in the paper towel, and cooked it for 6 minutes on 50% power and it was good to go.

Top Bottom