Need Computer Guru Assistance

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swampfoxx

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2014
    Ponchatoula, LA
    My son's hard drive (Seagate Barracuda) crashed last week. I was going to replace it, but the reviews on it sucked, so I got a WD Black. Installed itSaturday and reloaded W7, and the embedded hardwire NIC won't read the cable. The wireless NIC is fine. In Device Manager, the NIC shows as working properly, but in Network & Sharing Center, it shows Cable Unplugged. I tried two known good cables and two ports on the switch. Even unplugged the cable from this PC and plugged it into his and it does the same.

I uninstalled the NIC, rebooted and let Windows it find it on it's own, let it reload the drivers from the net, same results. I wiped the drive and reinstalled W7 with the same results.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

dafunkdawg

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    Denham Springs
    Look at the pins inside of the nic make sure they look straight. Check network adaptor settings make sure it is not disabled there. Buy a PCI card or USB nic if none of that works .

dougstump

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    x
    Is the NIC a plug an expansion card or built into the mother board? There may be a separate driver you need to load. I run into this at work all the time.

swampfoxx

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2014
    Ponchatoula, LA
    Pins look OK. I checked that first. NIC is embedded. Device Manager says the device is working properly. Searched for updated drivers, it said the latest are loaded. I bought a USB-Ethernet adapter, and it is working fine. Just has me stumped as to why the embedded NIC shows Cable Unplugged. I do this almost every day and have never seen this before.

tallwalker

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Covington, LA
    NIC's have tiny surface mounted diodes that protect the internals from surges and other damage. They act like tiny fuses only you can't replace them (well you could but not worth the trouble). Symptoms would be what you describe. BTW, a PCI card is only $15 or so and will be better without using up a USB port.

dougstump

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    x
    Try another network cable. Sometimes they die for no apparent reason.

Last resort may be a USB to Ethernet adapter.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Demmickb
    Top Bottom