NEED HELP Driving up North

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • USEY

Louisiana Trash
    Rating - 84.6%
    11   2   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    Hammond Louisiana
    So I'm heading to Montana Saturday for the next few months for work. I will have a half ton 4x4 (my work truck) but will not be driving it (my helper will be) because I will be driving my wife and son up in her car which is a rear wheel drive dodge charger.

Basically I'm super nervous like to the point I'm losing sleep over it because I know there probably will be snow/ice on the roads and I have never driven in this weather other than our minor snow incidents we had here once or twice over the past few years.

So my questions are does anyone somewhat know what the driving conditions will be like on the way up. Can I expect a lot of snow at this time? If so will the roads be just packed with it? My route will take me up through Dallas through north Texas into New Mexico rurning north to Colorado into Wyoming and then final destination billings montana...I'm so nervous about the second leg of this trip.

Also any pointers on driving in snow to avoid wrecking.? Any pointers on extra stuff to do to car as far as maintenance is concerned?

Any help GREATLY appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Armed Mage

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2013
    Lafayette
    When you brake, tap the brake pedal in bursts rather than hold it down, this will help retain traction and keep you from sliding. If your car starts to spin don't panic and try to spin the wheel the opposite direction really fast as it will likely make it worse. It also helps to keep your car's tires in line with the tire tracks made by other cars.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    So I'm heading to Montana Saturday for the next few months for work. I will have a half ton 4x4 (my work truck) but will not be driving it (my helper will be) because I will be driving my wife and son up in her car which is a rear wheel drive dodge charger.

Basically I'm super nervous like to the point I'm losing sleep over it because I know there probably will be snow/ice on the roads and I have never driven in this weather other than our minor snow incidents we had here once or twice over the past few years.

So my questions are does anyone somewhat know what the driving conditions will be like on the way up. Can I expect a lot of snow at this time? If so will the roads be just packed with it? My route will take me up through Dallas through north Texas into New Mexico rurning north to Colorado into Wyoming and then final destination billings montana...I'm so nervous about the second leg of this trip.

Also any pointers on driving in snow to avoid wrecking.? Any pointers on extra stuff to do to car as far as maintenance is concerned?

Any help GREATLY appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://www.tirerack.com/winter/bridgestone/blizzak.jsp

Keep a full tank of gas in it. Puts weight over the drive-wheels. Chargers are probably front-heavy, anyway, if I had to guess.

On ice, you never do anything fast. Never. Nothing. Also, many people over-correct into a ditch. Modern ABS+power steering, you typically will get the car to do anything you want it to do with 1/8 to 1/4 of a turn of the wheel. Anything more, and when/if it DOES catch traction, you will be rudely shocked by just how demanding of the car you were, and it will do what you tell it...hello wild maneuver! This usually results in an even WILDER reaction from you in the opposite. If you don't lose it int he first over-correction, you are almost guaranteed to in the responding one. Always follow your rear-end, and if you are following it more than 1/4-1/8 turn, you're done anyway most likely. Keep in mind that cars typically spin to the inside of corners, so unless someone is taking a corner STOOPID FAST, being on the outside lane is less likely to result in them slamming into you if they lose it in a corner, in my experience. Lightly applying brakes shifts weight forward. Keep your friction circle in mind. If you cram on the brakes, that back end is getting light.

Ice forms on bridges, and may linger well past 40*F+ ambient. Just because the "ice" warning is not on your DIC anymore, does not mean "ICE" is not present!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfHeCQzWuQg
    Here we can see the typical loss of control to the inside of the corner, with a few people over-correcting out of it and endangering others. Both things to keep in mind as I previously stated.

Also, don't get too close behind people, ESPECIALLY semi's, SUV's, and other vehicles with large, flat roofs. Ice will sheer off from where it sat once warmed and some wind gets under it, and the chunks of it can be large enough to mess you up.

Last edited:

TomW

Recreational Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Prairieville, LA
    Might also want to add blankets and drinking water to your first aid kit and flashlights...just in case you have to stay in your car for any period of time.

Crippler7815

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2012
    Lafayette, LA
    Lived in Colorado for 12 years, the best thing you can do for a RWD vehicle is to load some useful weight in the trunk. Sand bags, kitty litter, carpet squares, anything that will help you get out of a snowbank if you get stuck. Just drive to your comfort level. If your car gets a little wiggle to it, just ease off of the gas, and go a little slower. No use trying to get somewhere in a hurry in those conditions, because you're more likely not to get there at all by rushing. Take your time, enjoy the ride.

Oh, and a little trick I learned was to replace your wiper fluid with about half and half cheap walmart vodka and water, with a couple drops of dish soap. It'll cut through any snow or ice that pops up on the windshield.

Have fun up there! Montana has some beautiful views, pull your eyes off the road every once in a while and look at it! :)

The two parts I'd worry about on the route you're taking are:

1: From Raton, NM into Trinidad, CO. If there's snow on the road, that's going to be a tricky one, just because there's a good bit of elevation climb, and switchbacks. Same rules apply, just stay in everyone elses tracks, and you should be just fine.

2: From Fort Collins, CO across the Wyoming border. Winds tend to pick up there a whole lot, because there's a good sized break in the Rocky Mtns. Got stuck there one night around 3 am. The winds were gusting about 40 mph and it couldn't have been more than 5 degrees. Thank god for blankets!

Last edited:

buttanic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    LaPlace, LA
    Everything gently, accelerating, braking turning, look and think well ahead. A vehicle won't turn if the brakes are locked which is not so much of a problem today with anti lock brakes.

Top Bottom