Need Help IDing a Bolt Action

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • doc ace

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Pineville/Deville
    Alright folks, my Uncle, recently deceased, gave me this .308 on my 21st birthday a few years ago. He didn't leave much backstory about it. The problem is there are no identifying marks or manufacturing names. I would love to reach out to the community and see if y'all had any information on my .308 WIN. It is a tack driver with glass on it!

rps20140202_204538.jpgrps20140202_204614.jpgrps20140202_204705.jpgrps20140202_204728.jpgrps20140202_204805.jpg

da hammer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2012
    Folsom, LA
    None of this may be of any help to you but I'll throw it out there...

I have a similar rifle in my family except chambered in 30-.06. Mine was brought back from WWII. Back at that time many of the factories of America were converted into factories that would make guns, ammo, anything that would help the US win the war. Many of the guns from that era have very little markings on them to identify them. My .06 looks almost identical to your .308, except mine was scoped for sniper detail in the war. After chashing down people to find out about mine it was actually made by a sewing mating company.

So to make a long story short I am of little help in helping you with the exact details of where your gun was made, but I am willing to bet it's from the WWII era and has a similar history as my rifle. Good luck trying to get more info on it. Oh BTW they are tack drivers, I shot mine yesterday and had a 2" group at 550 yards.

doc ace

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Pineville/Deville
    That is the one thing he did tell me when he gave it to me. I didn't post it due to having heard a million stolen valor stories from guys who had "served" and saying they did things they didn't really do. He was a Navy Veteran, and he said the was very similar that it was an old WWII or Korea sniper rifle and the man who sold it to him claimed the exact same thing you just said! After hours and hours of relentless searching all I'd see were the standard Springfields and Remingtons. If anyone can verify these things as being commonplace or just hear say please correct it.

Thank you for your past experience with your rifle. I felt like I was all alone!

also, it always has been fitted for a scope, I removed an older Tasco off of it that my uncle used to slay a few deer with.

Last edited:

da hammer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2012
    Folsom, LA
    I can tell you mine was 100% used as a long range rifle in the military in WWII, based on the fact that it was used by a family member who was decorated for successful service with his rifle. The craziest thing to me is that a sewing machine company made the rifle, I get a kick out of that every time I think of it. However those days were what showed the world what American ingenuity was.

I can't say that all of them were sniper rifles of course but I wouldn't consider it a stretch at all to say it was used in WWII. BTW I never researched value, so I have no idea what they are worth that is something that hasn't ever interested me.

As far as a scope mine was fitted for a scope but a scope of the times, not anything that a modern day mount would work on. It's a fixed mag 4X scope with a dot in the middle.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I agree with da hammer. It definitely fits the bill for WWII era mil surp returned to an armory. The only thing that detracts from that is the stock, obviously not typical military. it could have been put into a new stock later though. Many of the rifles made in whatever retooled factory, be it domestic or abroad, were never stamped any further than a serial number and caliber. The fact that it is .308 Winchester and likely built during WWII would suggest it was built here in the states or even Canada, but could have been issued to any number of allied troops. I'm going out on a limb in saying that it's probably more rare than your WWII era Springfield and likely more valuable. I can't tell what brand of rifle it's patterned after from the pics on my phone, but something says Winchester.
    I'll look at the pics on my home computer later where I can make out more detail.

Last edited:

da hammer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2012
    Folsom, LA
    You ought to think about bringing yours out to shoot F-T/R mid-range competition with us. With groups like that you could walk away with a new national record easily!!

Ritten thanks for the offer. I am just getting into long range shooting. Not ready to compete, but just finished a true F-class build in 6.5 creed, it shoots better than any rifle I have ever shot. I have been looking for people that shoot long range as I have no idea what I am doing and am sure there is a better way. I have no desire to compete at all, my goal when I started shooting further was just to be able to hit a target on the other side of my property. The hobby has taken on a life of it's own since then.

When/where do you all shoot?

103M 95G

Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Apr 6, 2009
    Westbank
    Looks like a small ring mauser that was chambered in .308. Possibly a spanish 95 mauser. .308 has a little too much pressure for a small ring mauser.

CHW2021

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2013
    Abita Springs
    The 308 chambering suggests a late 50's or newer chambering. Would you remove the action from the stock and look for marks under the wood? I would suggest removing the front base and looking for any faint stamps there also. I have seen several guns that were sporterized and have had almost all markings polished away before being re-blued. Your rifle may be one of those, they were not uncommonly done to the cheap surplus guns of the day.
    The would be a practical caliber as long as the chamber was not reamed beyond normal size; after firing it look at the brass for any signs of stress or have it checked by a gunsmith.
    Also, look at the base of the bolt handle for any markings.

Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly
    Its a sporterized mauser of some various country, nothing special. The work looks well done, and may have been done by a large importer as this was common back in the day. It could also have been done by a local gunsmith. Go shoot it, and enjoy it.

Goatwhiskers

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    +1 on what Akajun said. It is a sporterized Mauser, need a better pic of the bolt cocking piece to say if '93/95 or '98. If it's a '93 or that series DO NOT play around with max level loads. It has been rebarreled as Mausers weren't made in any .30caliber. It's as good a hunting rifle as you will find. People are still building sporters on surplus actions today, tho it isn't worth the cost as you can buy new for a lot less money. Anyway, enjoy it as the sentimental value is high. GW

doc ace

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Pineville/Deville
    Thank y'all gentlemen! I will do so asap. I fired a few rounds out of it 7 or 8 years ago and the recoil made the bolt handle chip off a bit of the stock immediately behind the bolt handle. Also the recoil made the stock chip/slightly crack behind the receiver/bolt assembly. Thoughts on maybe buying replacement stock and leaving this one in the safe? I remember firing both grain sizes of Winchester Super X out of it. From now on I'll stick with the lighter loads. There is a star/asterisk like this * on one of the screws holding in the magazine release underneath. I'll try to find identifying marks underneath the barrel between the wood and the barrel. Anything else I should know? I know there was a safety lever on the back of the bolt that swung up and down. Where should I get a replacement and is it simply a drop in and go? Thank you all once again.

doc ace

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Pineville/Deville
    +1 on what Akajun said. It is a sporterized Mauser, need a better pic of the bolt cocking piece to say if '93/95 or '98. If it's a '93 or that series DO NOT play around with max level loads. It has been rebarreled as Mausers weren't made in any .30caliber. It's as good a hunting rifle as you will find. People are still building sporters on surplus actions today, tho it isn't worth the cost as you can buy new for a lot less money. Anyway, enjoy it as the sentimental value is high. GW

It is only a bolt no cocking piece like a mosin. When you open the bolt, the action cocks the rifle.

CHW2021

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2013
    Abita Springs
    Chipping the stock disturbs me, that would indicate either a poor fit for the stock or (worse) movement of the bolt handle during firing. Since all are agreed this is a converted rifle it would be prudent to have the headspace and chamber checked by a pro gunsmith.

Do Know Harm. Do No Harm.

And a little paranoid also. Safety first.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PatRome
    Top Bottom