Need help on a saltwater fishing trip package

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    A friend got me and my dad interested in going fishing with him in South Louisiana. He was working on getting a package where the boat rental, lodging, food, equipment and some eating were included.

Well it all looks like it might fall through, but my dad and I are still wanting to go. We are not big fishermen, and we have never been salt water fishing on a boat. Do any of you have any experience with the tourist fishing outfits down there? Can anyone recommend one that will take care of us and show us a good time?

chootem

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Lockport
    If you are wanting to go offshore I would call Jamie Gaspard with "Pure Adrenalin" awesome guy great boat!!! 225-572-5788
    If you are wanting to go inshore spec and reds I would call Thad Robichaux. Don't have his number handy but you could send him a message on facebook..... http://www.facebook.com/thad.robichaux

Good Luck!!!!

1911Dave

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Mandeville
    If you want to do inshore I highly recommend Captain Charlie Thomason. He is one of the best inshore guys there is out there. He is located in Hopedale. On his trips they cater to you very well and are the oldest guide service down in that area. They also have a very nice lodge to stay at. You will never see one of their guides fishing while in the boat with you. Its one of my biggest pet peeves with most guides.

http://www.captaincharlie.com/

Last edited:

SirIsaacNewton

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    Price isn't as much of a factor as fun factor. What's the differences in fish; inshore vs offshore? Are we less likely to catch anything offshore? Will offshore be any cooler temperature wise?

Mostly size and fight duration. Some of those offshore fish can fight for multiple hours. Inshore fishing is more for reds and speckled trout which can put up fights as well but are just really fun to catch and are good eating. Offshore can be physically exhausting so if your dad isn't in decent shape physically I would suggest more inshore stuff if he is healthy go offshore.

Last edited:

daxt79

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Lafayette
    Bourgeois Fishing Charters out of Lafitte is a great trip. All you need to do is show up. They have a camp, cook dinner, breakfast, provide sandwiches while on the boat, & clean you fish for you while you eat lunch back at the camp. The trips we've went on they took us fishing the afternoon we got there & the following morning until noon-1:00.

http://www.neworleansfishing.com/index.html

jhans504

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Metairie, LA
    Price isn't as much of a factor as fun factor. What's the differences in fish; inshore vs offshore? Are we less likely to catch anything offshore? Will offshore be any cooler temperature wise?

Inshore you'll likely catch mainly specks & reds. Offshore you could go the reef fish route (snapper, amberjack, grouper, etc.) or the pelagic fish route (Tuna, sails, marlin, etc.). I wouldn't say that you are more or less likely to catch fish either way. Pound for pound, I prefer offshore.

If you choose the offshore route, I can HIGHLY recommend Mule Team Charters (http://www.muleteamcharters.com/). Those boys will put you on the fish, and being able to stay down there is a huge plus.

Either way you go, good luck.

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    All great replies guys. Thank you so much! Next phase is to talk it over with Dad and see which he wants to do. Then I will go back over this thread and make some phone calls.

We were locked in with our friend because we didn't know anything and he was the experienced fisherman. When it started to fall through, we were just SOL. I don't know why I didn't think of asking yall sooner.

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Well I was kinda hoping to find an offshore outfit that also lodged you and cooked for you like Bourgeois does. It doesn't look like any exist. It's not that important to me, but it would simplify things. Anybody know of one (that they would recommend)?

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Bourgeois Fishing Charters out of Lafitte is a great trip. All you need to do is show up. They have a camp, cook dinner, breakfast, provide sandwiches while on the boat, & clean you fish for you while you eat lunch back at the camp. The trips we've went on they took us fishing the afternoon we got there & the following morning until noon-1:00.

http://www.neworleansfishing.com/index.html

Booked with Bourgeois. Thanks for all the responses!

Poweboy

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    Bay St Louis/Slidell
    If you want to do inshore I highly recommend Captain Charlie Thomason. He is one of the best inshore guys there is out there. He is located in Hopedale. On his trips they cater to you very well and are the oldest guide service down in that area. They also have a very nice lodge to stay at. You will never see one of their guides fishing while in the boat with you. Its one of my biggest pet peeves with most guides.

http://www.captaincharlie.com/

+1 I have been going with him since I was 9 and have never had a bad experience. The man knows how to put you on some fish. His lodging is great too.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    alwill112
    Top Bottom