Need help on driveshaft fix

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • blakegill66

Don't tread on me
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 19, 2011
    Metairie
    I have a 1994 Ford Bronco on 9" lift. Back in the summer was driving and randomly had the rear drive shaft break. Anyone know of a place that will either repair the shaft or sell a new one? I can send pics of the driveshaft and how it is broken but the shaft itself is intact (broke at the end can't remember which side or what part). Just a few days ago I gave it a shot to see if it would still crank and sure enough, one turn of the key and it started right up after sitting 6 months

Mayonnaise

Not in the fridge
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Judging from "9 inches of lift" I am going to assume you wore out a ujoint from having a stupid pinion angle. A lift of that size can be dangerous if done wrong and you will continue to break ****. It might be wise to keep a box of spare u-joints in the truck at all times if you're not going to fix the underlying problem.

Post pictures of the truck and all of its suspension parts.

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    What kind of shaft do you currently have? A standard driveshaft will not hold up to the angles that 9" of lift creates. You need a specialized high angle double cardan shaft if you want it to last and not vibrate. There are numerous companies that make them with larger joints and thicker tubes to withstand extra stress.
    Curious, got a pic of where/ how it broke?

RyanW

Koch-head
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Lowering the tranny mount about an inch or so would do wonders, if the engine doesn't get too close to the firewall.

Also, Driveline is great shop to use.

Post pics of the truck and of the suspension.

Dgraham225

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2012
    Denham springs
    Is that 9" all suspension or is some of that body lift? I have a k5 play toy lifted 6" one one tons (probably 7" total) and the angles aren't great. Your bronco shaft can't be much longer.

Top Bottom