Need help w/ external hard drive!!!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SwampKat

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Laplace, LA
    I have a western digital 750gb desktop hard drive, it makes a clicking sound when I plug it in and my computers won't read it.

Need help to get the data that's on it transferred.

tunatuk

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 30, 2007
    Ascension Parish
    The only moving parts in a hard disk drive are the platter and the magnetic arm (and the parts used to move these items). If you here clicking, it is probably because the platter is off kelter, and the arm is striking it. This is not good, and 99,999 out of 10,000 times, you cannot get any data off without replacing the platter into a case that is working perfectly. But even that is risky, and you'd need a clean room, and be able to seat the platter perfectly down to the .0000000001"

One thing I have had sporadic success (never duplicated perfectly) has been to throw the hard drive into a stack of pillows, or hit it with a rubber mallet. This has only worked on hard drives that had a faint clicking, not a very loud, pronounced clicking. The two times this has worked, the computer did not recognize the drive prior to the "repair." I was able to retrieve some of the data, but not all before the drives crashed for good.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Do the freezer thing and immediately start backing up if possible. Maybe you'll get lucky.

If not...well let's just say my brother spent ~$2000 having data retrieved from a clicking hard drive about the same capacity as yours, and that was after shopping around. :(

Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    Put it in the freezer in a ziploc bag. Seriously, that helps sometimes. I'd try that before hitting it with a mallet.

http://lifehacker.com/5515337/save-a-failed-hard-drive-in-your-freezer-redux

will not work for a clicking hard drive. If you have files on it that you desperately need, then there are services available at a premium. They usually start around $700 and quickly go up from there.

Edit: BTW, everyone should know that hard drives have a 100% fail rate. If you have important files, then make sure you run a backup of them.

Last edited:

W1nds0rF0x

Snap, Crackle, Pop.
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 8, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Edit: BTW, everyone should know that hard drives have a 100% fail rate. If you have important files, then make sure you run a backup of them.

I have some circa 1996 Big Foot drives that ran in desktops for about 3 years and were then added as a RAID dirve in a server and ran 24/7 for 6 years straight until they were replaced with larger drives. :D

Top Bottom