Need Help With Form 1

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bayoutrigger

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    Alexandria, La.
    I have a Form 1 to manufacture a SBR pending. I received a letter from the BATF examiner stating that they received DPSSP form 4023 (Manufacturer) but that they need a DPSSP form 4013 (Transfer) to complete the application for the Form 1.

Since I already have the gun and simply want to shorten the barrel it seems to me that the DPSSP form 4013 (Transfer) is not what is needed (there is no seller/transferor) but rather the DPSSP form 4012 (Register Firearm) would be needed.

I sent a DPSSP form 4012 for approval but it was kicked back by LSP stating the firearm had not been transfered to me. However, the letter from the LSP provides that "If the firearm has been manufactured or converted by you please indicate such on the Application to Register form in the Additional Description of Data Appearing on Firearm section of the application."

I am returning the DPSSP form 4012 to LSP with the added language in the Additional Description section "This firearm will be manufactured by applicant once the Form 1 has been approved by BATF".

Am I on the right track? Thanks.

JimmyB

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2009
    Berwick
    You can’t transfer from you to you. So the transfer app doesn’t apply when building your own suppressor or SBR

The NFA did not want my manufacturer app. I sent it anyway. They(NFA) can throw it away if they want.
    I think it’s just more useless paperwork the LSP thought up

You are correct about the “This firearm will be manufactured by applicant once the Form 1 has been approved by BATF" In the Additional Description or Data…….

I usually say “I intend to build a suppressor/SBR/whatever after my Form 1 has been approved by the BATFE”.

But the way you stated it is better

I got a little bit lost on one thing. The NFA needs Form 1 and a App to Register Firearm. Did you do this one?
    The App to Register Firearm is the one sent to the LSP for approval and once approved sent in with the Form 1

Last edited:

cajun 22

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Houma, LA
    You are not manufacturing a firearm. You are modifying an already manufactured firearm into an SBR. Unless you are making the rifle from bare metal you are not the manufacturer. I have three SBRs and have never filled out the manufacturer paperwork and have been approved every time without a hitch. You just state "that you are making an SBR from an existing rifle" in the additional information box on the registration form.

Jeaux E

TROMIX Fan
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2007
    Little Rock
    On a Form 1, you are the manufacturer of the SBR, and as such, have to engrave your name and city on the receiver as required by BATF as the manufacturer.........

cajun 22

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Houma, LA
    On the form 1 you are manufacturer. This is correct. This causes confusion about the state forms. But the original question was about the state forms where you are not a manufacturer by their definition only modifying an existing firearm.

cajunranger

Ghost
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 23, 2010
    DeRidder
    Same thing happened to me. kicked back, changes to manufacturer after approval. received from back from LSP quick and with thier stamp of approval.

Top Bottom