need help with mantle.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bearfutedninja

coming soon
    Mar 16, 2009
    lafayette
    I recently bought a big tv that i planned on hanging on the wall above the fireplace. it was going as planned till i grabbed a stud finder and there are no studs to be found near the center of the fireplace. So i figured instead of busting out the sheetrock i figured it would be easier to extend the mantle to accommodate the tv stand. I dont know if it would look right. i figured you would be the best person to ask if this was even possible and how much would it run if you were to do something like this. pictures will follow.

grits

infidel
    Sep 22, 2006
    New Iberia
    Im right here in New Iberia , give me a call and I will check it out. Im in lafayette all the time 339-1669

jgreg

Jan 14, 2009
    Independence LA
    Not a problem, Use several molly bolts/ screws, mounted thru the sheetrock. We used them on my son's plasma flat screen and never had a problem. The screws, I am not sure but I beleive they were 3/16" and the connecting piece that went thru the rock flared out to approx. 1"
    One thing you cannot over kill the amount of bolts/screws that you put thru the mount into the rock.
    Jim

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    jgreg, I tried to hang a very heavy mirror with toggle bolts a few years ago. It probably weighed about 60 to 70 pounds. I didn't have a stud in the right place, and didn't want to open the wall I had just sheetrocked, painted, etc. I did everything right but it didn't work. I tried the lead screw in anchors (rated for 100 lbs.). I fixed the damage and went with the largest toggle bolts I could find. Same thing, only this time I lost two 4" squares of sheetrock at once. After that I talked my wife into a smaller mirror... Find a stud and do it right. TV's are a lot more expensive than mirrors!

jgreg

Jan 14, 2009
    Independence LA
    Ok, this is another way we just hung a 42" at a friends camp. We used 2 2x6 length of mount or longer so you will have more places to put additonal bolts etc. Liiquid nails use liberally or what instructions call for and toggles thru thru 2x6 Then mount bracket to 2x6 with toggles and and lots of wood rock screws into wood. If not use 2x8 use 2x10 or 3/4 plywood the largest piece you can use ot cover a great volume of area. I have used both, with no broken tv' s yet.
    Good luck Jim

bearfutedninja

coming soon
    Mar 16, 2009
    lafayette
    yea it is a 60" led i dont want to let it fall. Im actually in maurice now if that makes a difference.

Attachments

• photo(8).jpg
      photo(8).jpg
      228.2 KB · Views: 42
    Last edited:

f350drvr

Jun 16, 2008
    NOLA
    There are no studs? or no studs in the center? Most of the time you can offset the bracket to hit 2 studs, and there is enough adjustment in the bracket to center the tv on the wall. I had to do this on a couple tv's in my house.

bearfutedninja

coming soon
    Mar 16, 2009
    lafayette
    photo(4).jpg here are the other pictures. thats the mantle and the tv and the other picture is the length of the base.

Attachments

• photo(6).jpg
      photo(6).jpg
      225.9 KB · Views: 36
    • photo(3).jpg
      photo(3).jpg
      222.9 KB · Views: 36

bearfutedninja

coming soon
    Mar 16, 2009
    lafayette
    its in the corner of the room. the studs are on way on the outside. in the picture with the clock. the studs are even with the trim to the right and left of the fireplace. they are jsut there to hold the sheetrock up. all the sheetrock is doing is hiding the fireplace chimeny.

jgreg

Jan 14, 2009
    Independence LA
    Same config as my sons tv the 42 inch plasma is appprox 5 years old with that old of technology the samsung probably weighs more than your 60
    Jim

grits

infidel
    Sep 22, 2006
    New Iberia
    LOL sounds like yall are building a house around a TV. Maurice dont matter either. The cabinets we hang on the wall will be loaded down with dishes and way heavier than a TV, we cant find studs every time.

f350drvr

Jun 16, 2008
    NOLA
    I see what your saying now. You may have the right idea with extending the mantle. If it is a one story, and an inside wall, you may be able to access it from the attic and put in some 2x4's to mount the bracket to.

If you go the mantle route, make sure you put a safety wire from the tv to the wall to keep it from falling over. I know of a few people that have had their tv's knocked over on accident.

BigNick73

Sep 21, 2008
    Brandon, MS
    Will the outside edges of the TV cover the studs? Might think of running a stud length wise attaching the ends to the studs then attaching the TV to it. Might be a bit half assed but if the TV covers it all it'll work and won't be seen.

But then if I had some paint left that was a match cutting out some rock, adding a stud across the other two and re-covering isn't that big of a job if you know how to float it right.

03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville
    You can't get something like a 2x12 and mount it flush against the wall into the studs. Then mount the tv bracket to that?

LOL didn't see date and the fact it is hung.

Last edited:

BigNick73

Sep 21, 2008
    Brandon, MS
    ROFL does old stuff pop up on the front page on occasion? Just noticed the date, not sure how in the hell I ended up reading this one.

Top Bottom