Need Help!!!!!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BayouDeputy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Plaquemine, La
    I am currently trying to get my new RCBS Pro 2000 progressive press set up. The problem I coming across is the freaking powder measure. I CANNOT get it to throw consistant charges. I'll get the desired weight (in this case 6.4 gr of Unique) and then when I try to do my 10 test charges, it freakin starts throwing heavy after 4 - 5 charges. This measure does NOT have a freaking set screw which REALLY surprises me. Any help or suggestion would be MUCH appreciated.

artabr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    New Iberia , Louisiana
    I'm going to refrain from saying that you shoulda bought a Dillon. :D

Are you dumping a few cases worth of powder when you are first starting out to settle the powder in the measurer?

Are you being consistant in your handle movements?

Just a couple of thoughts.

Art

Last edited:

buddy_fuentes

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Maurepas, LA (Diversion Canal)
    If you press has ANY movement when you make a complete stroke of the handle, you are going to have some variation in powder throw.

Your press should be mounted as solid as as possible. Some powders load more consistent than others due to their shape. WW 231 loads very consistent while some (American Select?) is shaped like the head of a straight pen and does not meter well.

Another thing is that you must learn to accept that you are not going to throw a perfect charge each time with the powder measure on you press. If you are shooting maximum charge loads you should invest in a trickle powder drop and an electronic scale. If you are loading regular loads then weigh ten loads of powder and get the average for your powder. Adjust as needed.

Hope this helps.

Buddy

BayouDeputy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Plaquemine, La
    The measure is VERY secure in the press. I ran about 3/4 of a pound of powder through it last night when i started having trouble. my current load is 6.4 gr of unique w/ 180gr Rem fmj for my .40 S&W. If I cant get this measure to straighten I plan on purchasing a Redding powder measure and mounting on the press and just throw the charges manually. Im going to give this one another time of trying to get of settled first tho.

buddy_fuentes

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Maurepas, LA (Diversion Canal)
    I'm not talking about the powder measure being secure in the press, I'm talking about the press itself. If it has any shake when you throw the handle it will cause erratic powder drops. It shakes the powder measure.

If you are having trouble with static electricity rub your powder hopper with a "Bounce" dryer sheet and then put it inside the hopper over the powder.

Could you run 10 rounds through the machine and weigh each? That would give me an idea of what is going on.

Top Bottom