Need info on the Civil Service Exam

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ghost-1

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 8, 2012
    Leesville
    Ok guy's I am wanting to apply at some of PD's and SD's here in LA since I am working on my retirement packet right now and will be officially retired out of the Army after 24 years of doing this come October 1st. I have been trying to find out some more information on taking this Civil Service Exam that is required here is LA but I am not getting anywhere with it. I went to the PD here is Leesville and they gave me a website to go look at. I went to the site but I don't think it is the correct one.

From what I have been able to search around and find is that I guess I have to wait for a PD or SD to start hiring and then apply and also apply to take the exam. If any of the guys that are working at a PD or SD can let me know if this is correct or not please do so. Also if any of you can tell me where and how to go about taking this exam so that I can at least get it done and have my test scores to add in with any applications that I fill out and submit I would appreciate it. Hell any help would be appreciated in getting this done as I am trying to do this and submit applications and hopefully have a job offer before I go on terminal leave July so I know if I am going to stay in LA or try and get into a LEO career back in GA.

ta2d_cop

#CornholioLivesMatter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 28, 2008
    Covington
    It depends on if the department is under state civil service or their own civil service. If it is their own you have to apply and tha the test for that specific department. If they are state civil service they use to do regional testing monthly or quarterly so you could have a valid score on file from what I remember. My PD has its own civil service so we do our own tests.

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    Most SO's don't require a civil service exam. Each city police department department has their own civil service exam. Apply wherever you want to work and they will advise you when to take their exam.

Ghost-1

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 8, 2012
    Leesville
    Ok thanks guys. I was under the impression that both PD's and SD's required you to take the exam. ta2d_cop thanks for the link and that is not the one that the Leesville PD gave me. I will look through it and try and find someplace I can go take the exam that is not going to be a three or four hour drive me go take it.

I will also look around and see who all is hiring and try to see who is going to start hiring after the first of the year. That will let help me plan everything out a little more and try and do what I need to do on my end to try and get picked up by one of them.

Ghost-1

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 8, 2012
    Leesville
    Thanks guys.

I was just looking at the list and seems like there is not a lot of places hiring. I also seen that some of the ones that are hiring are about four hours away so I will try and do something I my end to do the application and try to go down and do the exam.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    If you are interested in Baton Rouge PD call 225-389-3800 and ask to speak to the academy staff. They will put you in the right direction.

Sig220

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2014
    Bridge City,TX
    Ghost-1, If you can include Texas in your area search, there are plenty of agencies hiring....some would be within 2 hours of Ft. Polk. Here are a couple....Beaumont PD....Port Arthur PD.....both should have web sites. Orange County SO might be hiring as well as Jefferson County SO. All of those are in the corner of SE Texas. Good Luck to you and thanks for your service!!

Ghost-1

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 8, 2012
    Leesville
    Ghost-1, If you can include Texas in your area search, there are plenty of agencies hiring....some would be within 2 hours of Ft. Polk. Here are a couple....Beaumont PD....Port Arthur PD.....both should have web sites. Orange County SO might be hiring as well as Jefferson County SO. All of those are in the corner of SE Texas. Good Luck to you and thanks for your service!!

Thanks I have been thinking about TX also as I really loved it when I was stationed out there at FT. Hood. I really didn't care for it when I was stationed out at FT. Bliss. The wife really doesn't care where we go as long as we are together.

kae6511

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2012
    Metairie, LA

if you can find a place close enough to take the test the scores do transfer over. i drove about two hours to take my test and the scores transferred to the department about 10 mins from my house that i start with on monday. i just went through the process of transferring departments and i have also found out that alot of places are hiring but want you to have attended a basic P.O.S.T. academy already of the have an upcoming academy they are not usally advertised. the two deparmtents i recently applied with both had nothing on their websites that there were hiring but were indeed hiring. its a tough process for me being only 23 but i made it though so with your militay experience you should not have a problem.

Ghost-1

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 8, 2012
    Leesville
    if you can find a place close enough to take the test the scores do transfer over. i drove about two hours to take my test and the scores transferred to the department about 10 mins from my house that i start with on monday. i just went through the process of transferring departments and i have also found out that alot of places are hiring but want you to have attended a basic P.O.S.T. academy already of the have an upcoming academy they are not usally advertised. the two deparmtents i recently applied with both had nothing on their websites that there were hiring but were indeed hiring. its a tough process for me being only 23 but i made it though so with your militay experience you should not have a problem.

Thanks that is what I am trying to do is find a place close I can take the test. I got the feeling I was bothering the people here at Leesville PD when I was asking about it and they gave me the wrong website to go to. I will keep looking around to try and find a place close to me as most of the places I have seen that are hiring are around four hours away and that is one way then another four hours back here to Leesville. I would have plan that trip out and make sure I don't have anything going on at work where I can take off and go to where ever I need to go and test.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    hunter1994
    Top Bottom