Need mag law info

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rainman

Justified!
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Near I-55 & I-12
    Anyone know the laws, or where to find them on shipping high capacity mag "parts" (mag body) to a banned state? (On the lines of rebuilding mags).
    Thanks

CavalryJim

Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    "A rebuild kit is a magazine that has been disassembled into parts and is to be used to rebuild a damaged magazine that the customer already legally owns. A rebuild kit normally consists of a magazine body, follower, spring, and floorplate. It is important that these kits are only used to rebuild magazines that the customer already owns as any other use will likely be a violation of state law."

Yeah, right!

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    "A rebuild kit is a magazine that has been disassembled into parts and is to be used to rebuild a damaged magazine that the customer already legally owns. A rebuild kit normally consists of a magazine body, follower, spring, and floorplate. It is important that these kits are only used to rebuild magazines that the customer already owns as any other use will likely be a violation of state law."

Yeah, right!

Right. One rebuild kit shipped to a ban state = 1 old mag body with new innards becuase they were worn out, and one new mag body that has old innards because the old body was worn out, and scrapped. :rolleyes:

I was just posting that link up for Rainman what is legal for him to do, as a shipper.

Rainman

Justified!
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Near I-55 & I-12
    Thanks guys for the help.
    From what i've read on both suggested sources, it's basically a way to get around the laws. New hi cap. mag parts are just parts, new hi cap. mags or illegal. All I need to know. Thanks

One guy wrote this:
    While the law was written with intent to only allow the repair of magazines, there is no law that specifically states the kits must be used as repair parts. It would break no laws to import parts of a high cap with the intent to keep them for out of state use only or to rebuild them into 10rd mags.

The Pmag body and USGI magazine body are interchangable. Say someone has a USGI magazine that is cracked and would like to repair. THey could order a Pmag kit and simply swap out the magazine body. If later on down the line they wish to replace the spring, follower, and/or base plate they can.

Bottom line, rebuild kits are not regulated in anyway, shape, or form. Rebuild kits are not magazines.

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    Thanks guys for the help.
    From what i've read on both suggested sources, it's basically a way to get around the laws. New hi cap. mag parts are just parts, new hi cap. mags or illegal. All I need to know. Thanks

One guy wrote this:
    While the law was written with intent to only allow the repair of magazines, there is no law that specifically states the kits must be used as repair parts. It would break no laws to import parts of a high cap with the intent to keep them for out of state use only or to rebuild them into 10rd mags.

The Pmag body and USGI magazine body are interchangable. Say someone has a USGI magazine that is cracked and would like to repair. THey could order a Pmag kit and simply swap out the magazine body. If later on down the line they wish to replace the spring, follower, and/or base plate they can.

Bottom line, rebuild kits are not regulated in anyway, shape, or form. Rebuild kits are not magazines.

I'm no genius, but I'm pretty sure they have nothing in common, with exception of the spring.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PatRome
    Top Bottom