Need mini pistol light recommendation

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    The Olight PL- mini 2 Valkyrie is what I’m currently looking at for many reasons. (600 lumen, small size, recharge capable) Is there perhaps a better choice that I’m not seeing at the moment? This will not be for a home defense pistol and won’t leave my house.
    Anything better out there?

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    To be completely honest, I would avoid Olight. The proprietary battery and low candela isn’t that great. Sure it’s 600 lumens, but there is a timed step down to regulate temperature so it will bump down fairly quickly. I had the opportunity to test the PL-Mini along with a few other Olight WML’s and handhelds. Everything has low candela, which results in a flood like beam pattern. Lots of spill and very little hotspot.

Streamlight will be releasing their TLR-7 Sub model soon, which is specifically designed for subcompact pistols like the Glock 43X, P365, Hellcat, etc. It is 500 lumens, but has over three times the candela rating as the Olight PL-mini. The Streamlight will appear brighter, because although the total output is less, the beam is more focused. The TLR-7 Sub comes in at 500 lumens / 5000 cd versus the PL-mini at 600 lumens / 1400 cd. The PL-mini has a proprietary battery, which has in the past had issues, including melting. It’s rare, but it happens. The TLR-7 Sub, like the TLR-7 and TLR-7A, uses a CR123 battery. You can still use RCR123 rechargeables if you really want a rechargeable battery, but they have reduced capacity and I don’t recommend using them.

If the pistol you plan on equipping with a WML is capable of mounting a larger WML, I would absolutely urge you to look into a Streamlight TLR-1 HL (1000 lumen) or Surefire X300U (1000 lumen).

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana
    To be completely honest, I would avoid Olight. The proprietary battery and low candela isn’t that great. Sure it’s 600 lumens, but there is a timed step down to regulate temperature so it will bump down fairly quickly. I had the opportunity to test the PL-Mini along with a few other Olight WML’s and handhelds. Everything has low candela, which results in a flood like beam pattern. Lots of spill and very little hotspot.

Streamlight will be releasing their TLR-7 Sub model soon, which is specifically designed for subcompact pistols like the Glock 43X, P365, Hellcat, etc. It is 500 lumens, but has over three times the candela rating as the Olight PL-mini. The Streamlight will appear brighter, because although the total output is less, the beam is more focused. The TLR-7 Sub comes in at 500 lumens / 5000 cd versus the PL-mini at 600 lumens / 1400 cd. The PL-mini has a proprietary battery, which has in the past had issues, including melting. It’s rare, but it happens. The TLR-7 Sub, like the TLR-7 and TLR-7A, uses a CR123 battery. You can still use RCR123 rechargeables if you really want a rechargeable battery, but they have reduced capacity and I don’t recommend using them.

If the pistol you plan on equipping with a WML is capable of mounting a larger WML, I would absolutely urge you to look into a Streamlight TLR-1 HL (1000 lumen) or Surefire X300U (1000 lumen).
    I’d second the TLR-1 HL for a larger pistol. I even have one on a Mossberg 12 gauge and it’s held up great. The only experience I’ve had with olight is the larger Baldr pro that also has a green laser and I believe 1300 lumens. I own a handful of them the oldest one only being a couple years old but it’s held up great. Stream light seems to put out a better product for an identical price.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I’d second the TLR-1 HL for a larger pistol. I even have one on a Mossberg 12 gauge and it’s held up great. The only experience I’ve had with olight is the larger Baldr pro that also has a green laser and I believe 1300 lumens. I own a handful of them the oldest one only being a couple years old but it’s held up great. Stream light seems to put out a better product for an identical price.
    I’m definitely looking for something along the same dimension as the olight. A bud has the model in question on a CZ and I got to try it indoors in semi lit conditions and I was impressed for the size. I want something comparable in size and output. Price is not a factor, just size and output. I’m back and forth on batteries. I do prefer having the option of using a common lithium battery due to shelf life and dependability, but won’t rule out something with a proven rechargeable set up. Gonna check out what streamlight has to offer in a mini. Thanks.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Well, after much looking tonight I finally settled on a couple. Surefire XSC is my top pick for size and fit but I’m worried it’s not gonna impress me for brightness so I got the alternate TLR 7 from Streamlight coming as well which is said to have nearly twice the CP/lumens/candela, but I’m hoping that surefire is just more conservative in their stated output. I’m sure I’ll wind up using whichever doesn’t go on this app for something else.
    Since I’m sure someone will ask (if it’s not already obvious), I want the most compact rail mounted light I can find that also has a satisfactory output. Not a defensive set up. It’s for varmint patrol on my P-22.

Cheesy Lasagna

Sooooo Cheesy!
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Aug 20, 2011
    Kennah!
    I use both Surefire and Streamlight products and am impressed with both.
    Between the two, Surefire gets my business more because their customer service is beyond excellent.
    I had an outdated (no longer offered model) WML and they bent over backwards making things right for me; they wound up giving me a brand new updated/better version for no cost whatsoever.
    Cannot ask for more than that.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Well, after much looking tonight I finally settled on a couple. Surefire XSC is my top pick for size and fit but I’m worried it’s not gonna impress me for brightness so I got the alternate TLR 7 from Streamlight coming as well which is said to have nearly twice the CP/lumens/candela, but I’m hoping that surefire is just more conservative in their stated output. I’m sure I’ll wind up using whichever doesn’t go on this app for something else.
    Since I’m sure someone will ask (if it’s not already obvious), I want the most compact rail mounted light I can find that also has a satisfactory output. Not a defensive set up. It’s for varmint patrol on my P-22.

Sounds like you might want to stick with streamlight for your intended purpose. Surefire lacks candela and will be more of a flood light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Even for a varmint gun, I want more candela since it’s going to be more concentrated light.

The Surefire XSC also uses a proprietary battery and the output is rather weak (350 lumens / 2000 cd).

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I use both Surefire and Streamlight products and am impressed with both.
    Between the two, Surefire gets my business more because their customer service is beyond excellent.
    I had an outdated (no longer offered model) WML and they bent over backwards making things right for me; they wound up giving me a brand new updated/better version for no cost whatsoever.
    Cannot ask for more than that.
    Good news. I got the same treatment from C-more over a little STS and I’m a loyal patron there now.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Sounds like you might want to stick with streamlight for your intended purpose. Surefire lacks candela and will be more of a flood light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Gonna try both and see which works best. I’ve no doubt they’ll both suffice. I realize it’ll sound dumb to some folks and it would take a while to explain why, but there’s the potential for too much light when you’re slinking around in the dark busting nuisance animals. Otherwise I’d just go all out with a shotgun and a few thousand lumens and not worry about drawing unwanted attention. As it stands I just need small, quick on and off, pop pop at 10-20 feet and goodnight folks. No need for sunbeams blazing. Thanks for all the input.

Last edited:

Jstudz220

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Oct 14, 2020
    Harvey Louisiana

I was just going to tell you to look into a surefire light after reading your previous post. Although slightly more expensive than stream light and o light from what I understand it’s considered the best option amongst most. I don’t personally own anything from sure fire personally and that’s probably only because I’ve been happy with the other two brands.

Last edited:

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    I don't have much experience in the "micro' lights outside of my surefire xc1. It's not very bright, nor does it throw the light very far. I do have the tlr-1, 1s, and HL and a 600 lumen surefire x300 and 1000 lumen x300. The larger lights are MUCH better but they better be considering it can fit a larger battery/circuits, and a better housing.

I would much rather carry a larger gun with larger light, or a smaller gun and have a separate handheld light, than a tiny gun with tiny light.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    There is always www.oveready.com
    Look at their custom flashlights section, they made a highly modified weapon light in the same housing as the original (So it will still fit a holster). It has mad throw and lumen to it. Just $$$

Oveready hasn't made their X300 conversions in a long time.

The Modlite PL350 will surpass it and actually have holster options available on release.

AdvancedLaser

Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 15, 2021
    Covington, Louisiana
    Oveready hasn't made their X300 conversions in a long time.

The Modlite PL350 will surpass it and actually have holster options available on release.

Interesting. I am on their distro list and I recall seeing them special a few out sooner than a long time ago. When I last spoke to them and got a light they were able to special order 300's.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Interesting. I am on their distro list and I recall seeing them special a few out sooner than a long time ago. When I last spoke to them and got a light they were able to special order 300's.

They may still make them on request. Ike at Big Tex Outdoors was able to get one a year or so ago.

The big issue with them is that they have a ridiculous lumen output, but low candela. It’s basically a big flood light. They are neat for what they are, but never caught on because they are longer than a traditional X300 due to the modifications.

If you don’t care about holster options, they are a cool novelty.

Top Bottom