Need opinion on knife maker Tim Horan

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gr460

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Covington, LA
    Has anyone ever heard of or had any dealings with Tim? I ordered a knife 15 months ago and have not received it. It was paid in full 10 months ago and was supposedly going to ship the following week. Since that time he has promised to ship it at least 8 times, but never has. Just wondering if this is normal for custom knife makers, or should I write it off as a learning experience for being too trusting. Thanks.

TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    From what little I found by searching his name on BladeForums, he has a good rep.

Try calling him at (847) 400-6756

The few custom makers I've dealt with have been excellent.

There is a feedback forum on Blade called The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly. I suggest if you try to call him and get the runaround, post what happened there.

I've never paid for a knife before it was finished, pics sent, etc.
    :eh:

Last edited:

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    Has anyone ever heard of or had any dealings with Tim? I ordered a knife 15 months ago and have not received it. It was paid in full 10 months ago and was supposedly going to ship the following week. Since that time he has promised to ship it at least 8 times, but never has. Just wondering if this is normal for custom knife makers, or should I write it off as a learning experience for being too trusting. Thanks.

As you know....anything custom takes time. Some guys are good at estimating their turn around time and some suck at it. At the very least your guy has shown bad service in promising to send it and not doing so on numerous occasions. I would try to make contact with him ASAP and let him know that you are unhappy with what has transpired and ask him to make it right. Good luck.

gr460

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Covington, LA
    Thanks for the website info. He quit taking my calls a few months ago, and has been communicating by text only. He sent me a picture of the blade to show his progress when he asked for full payment and said it would ship the following week. I took him for his word and sent the remaining payment. That was 10 months ago.

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    Thanks for the website info. He quit taking my calls a few months ago, and has been communicating by text only. He sent me a picture of the blade to show his progress when he asked for full payment and said it would ship the following week. I took him for his word and sent the remaining payment. That was 10 months ago.

Well I would exhaust every means necessary to get the knife you paid for then I would post a very well spoken post about your experience with this maker on all of the knife forums. Then I would never use him again.

cbr900son

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    broussard la
    As you know....anything custom takes time. Some guys are good at estimating their turn around time and some suck at it. At the very least your guy has shown bad service in promising to send it and not doing so on numerous occasions. I would try to make contact with him ASAP and let him know that you are unhappy with what has transpired and ask him to make it right. Good luck.
    +1 If he s behind he should just say so and say im sry but the wait is longer. I know for me sometimes Im think im good then bam im sick or something breaks etc etc and throws me way off schedule. Hell lately the heat has been slowing me down a good bit too since my shop isnt ac'd. Now I LIVE by constant communication unless I tell someone something like "I have a 3 month backorder and wont be able to start it for a while but will let you know when Im ready for this project." Usually in that 3 month time we might discuss materials or designs. I wont accept money till I start it and never full payment till its done. I usually charge for materials up front then pay the rest when its done. Now each custom knife maker is different and some of the better can have a waiting list of years!

Last edited:

pntbllr228

Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Right by LSU
    My opinion of Tim is that he is a douche. Keep in mind that I have only read this thread, but Tim needs to learn that people talk and screwing people is bad business.

03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville
    My opinion of Tim is that he is a douche. Keep in mind that I have only read this thread, but Tim needs to learn that people talk and screwing people is bad business.
    +1 Honestly it was time to stop being cordial about 9 months and 7 lies ago. I would post this on all the knife forums you can find at least then you can have some satisfaction of knowing others wont be duped. Also, I would record all the times you have communicated and save the text messages.

FRANKEIGHT

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2011
    new iberia
    I never take money until the customer has handled the knife and if he does not like it I dont force him to buy it,some one else usually ends up buying
    frank cole

TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    I dealt with Chuck Gedraitis twice.

The first time was around the first of the year. I emailed him what I wanted and the price range. He told me he had a blade in process that fit my needs and we agreed on scales, bolsters, finish, etc. I had the knife in a week or so.

I also got in line for another knife. He said the wait period was six months. He emailed me about three weeks ago that he was ready to go on my new knife. What I initially wanted, a flipper, was out of my price range, so he walked me thru options, and I ended up two weeks later with the knife I posted last night.

That's the way it should work. I have two unique knives that I love and he advanced his reputation.

I see situations like this fairly frequently on BladeForums. They have a forum specifically for problems like this and good advice is given. Email me b/c and I can point you in the right direction. The people there can guide you thru complaining. I searched for him on that forum and at least a couple know him.

You have a valid complaint or else there has been some miscommunication, I suspect the former. There are ways to address it.
    :squint:

FRANKEIGHT

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2011
    new iberia
    You are correct,I am just finishing off three skinners and I ll show you on Wednesday if the range is open, if Iknew how I would put some fotos on the forum but I am very computer illiterate.
    frank

SGT_Kramer

Knuckle Buster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Ball
    Please post results of trying to contact and keep updated as I'd like to know someone to avoid giving a dime to at all cost.

gr460

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Covington, LA
    I took the advice given and gave the ultimatum of my knife or my money last Thursday. The knife showed-up today. Go figure. I can't explain it.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Demmickb
    Top Bottom