Need Optic Reccomendations for my new .308

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dauc43

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    NOLA, BR, Lake Charles
    I am new to the long game and would appreciate some recommendations. Maybe someone even has a scope I can purchase?

I just purchased a Remington 700 SPS Tactical AAC-SD in .308. I am new to long shooting, but am very interested and purchased this rifle as a starter setup. I would like to get out to 300-700yds with this gun/scope eventually. It currently has a Vortex Crossfire 4-12x40 scope I would like to upgrade in order to reach out a little further with more confidence, but will begin my practice with this.

Price range around $300-$700 (more if I can be convinced); Im looking for some feedback and personal preferences or why one glass is better than the next.

Additionally, anyone with a .308, which loads do you prefer for these distances. Any recommendations, information, or help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Expert684

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Lafayette
    In that price range I would go with a Vortex 6-24 PST Viper. I have one and it does everything I want it to do for the price. Depending on the barrel length on your gun, Lapua brass, BR-2 or 210M primers, 43-45 grains of Varget behind a 175 SMK should do it. Have fun! :bravo:

InterstateGuns

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2012
    Hammond
    The PST is on the list of usual suspects.

Unfortunately the FFP version would be out of the price point but might be more advantageous depending on the type of shooting you are doing.

The Burris XTRII is another great scope that I actually rather over the PST because of the optical system, the true mechanical zero stop. I also prefer the .2 mil break down of the SCR reticle over the Vortex offerings. Their product consistency I also find is much better than Vortex. But again you're gonna be over $700.

The Burris MTAC series is nice for the money and would be in your price point. Matching turret/reticle design. Solid optics. SFP. No zero stop. No illumination.

The Nightforce SHV 4-16 with no illumination can be had just north of $800. Same glass that is in the NXS. Nightforce reliability and consistency. Again its a SFP scope and only usable reticle is MOA. Matching turret/reticle.

forome

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2016
    GA
    I played with a Vortex Viper 3-9x40 with a regular plex reticle. I was able to compare it to the bunch of scopes that I have like ATN and SWFA SS scopes, to name a few, and shot it on my 308 (which is a reasonably heavy rifle with mild kick as you know). The optical clarity and reliability is pretty impressive I must admit.

Top Bottom