Need reccomendations for a good gunsmith in Shreveport

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 4x4demon

NBK
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Shreveport, La
    This stupid AR wont cycle with multiple types of ammo, some shells get stuck in the chamber (tula), different mags dont help (magpul, CAA, E-lander, colt). I've reached the end of my knowledge. I've taken it apart and put it back together many different times, cleaned and lubricated it. The bcg locks back with only one round in the mag, and the fsb is aligned as best as I can tell. The gas port is open and clear. I'm at my whits end. Does anybody know a reputable gunsmith here in Shreveport?

4x4demon

NBK
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Shreveport, La
    It's a frankengun that nineteenhundred on here put together. He says he never once had a problem with it. I'd be glad to have another set of eyes to maybe see what I've missed.

4x4demon

NBK
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Shreveport, La
    The girl that answered the phone said that they probably wouldn't work on it, unless it was purchased from them. However, she said she wasn't telling me no, just that I needed to talk to Jim about it and he was still out to lunch.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    I've felt luke-warm about Clarks for years. I'd pick someone else, or just have a friend who knows M4's look at it. USMC buddy of mine was having all sorts of issues with his and loaned it to me to square away. 10 rounds and I found the issue and told him how to correct it, if he so chose. May not need to wait months and months on Clarks.

4x4demon

NBK
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Shreveport, La
    that sucks, I contacted WillisArms over in Elm Grove and they said its a minimum for 40 and $65/hr shop time. I just dont want to wind up paying for a new rifle just to get this one fixed.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Verify:

-Chamber clean
    -Feed-ramps are correctly matched to the upper (no M4 feed-ramps on a barrel extension in an upper without them)
    -Feed-ramp/upper transition is SMOOTH and there is no "gap" for the nose of bullets to get caught in.
    -Correct weight buffer (Carbine gas system should have H2, Mid-length H)
    -Correct spring (Mil-spec carbine spring)
    -Lube (already done)
    -Inside of chamber is smooth, and the barrel should be chrome-lined, including the chamber.
    -Correct extractor spring is used (I prefer Colt Gold springs, they are the current standard and what the .mil is using from the 10.3" to the 20" guns, NO O RING WITH THIS ONE!)
    -Gas rings should be fine given your description, but test them, anyway, why not?

Please define for us EXACTLY what failure is occurring, and with which ammunition, and if it is not the only failure, what OTHER failure is occurring? So far, all I know for sure is that steel case sticks in the chamber at times, and other ammunition malfunctions, but the gun does not seem to have issue locking back on empty.

If possible, post a picture of the inside of the upper taken with the upper removed from the lower. The angle should be from the back of the upper toward the chamber at a shallow angle so as to let us see the barrel extension, as relates to the inside of the upper. Shallow angle from the bottom/back of the upper into the chamber, basically.

Last edited:

4x4demon

NBK
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Shreveport, La
    http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/showthread.php?78791-ar-problems&highlight= Link to original issues thread. It's basically a bolt action rifle. I'm almost positive that the tula is short stroking because it doesn't reset the trigger. The monarch would reset the trigger but it wouldn't pick up a round on the return stroke. The Fed misfed twice causing damage to the casing of the shell. By misfed I mean it missed the chamber and continued upward to the top of the receiver where the bcg struck the side of the casing. When I charged the gun with the handle the fed loaded fine.

Last edited:

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/showthread.php?78791-ar-problems&highlight= Link to original issues thread. It's basically a bolt action rifle. I'm almost positive that the tula is short stroking because it doesn't reset the trigger. The monarch would reset the trigger but it wouldn't pick up a round on the return stroke. The Fed misfed twice causing damage to the casing of the shell. By misfed I mean it missed the chamber and continued upward to the top of the receiver where the bcg struck the side of the casing. When I charged the gun with the handle the fed loaded fine.

Sounds like gas issues. Undergassed is my guess, as I've never had any issues with any of the rifle's I've had cycling monarch steel case with authority. Honestly, the rifle looks like a bag of snakes to me and other than having friends look at it, you really might be better served saving the $$ and buying something else unless this is to be just a range toy.

To me, it sounds like your Federal misfeed occurs when the BCG retracts almost fully across the top of the round, tipping it up, and then crushing it sideways on the return journey as it never gets behind the base of the round fully to push it properly forward.

When you fire the weapon with only 1 round of federal, it locks back because there is no friction on the bottom of the carrier from subsequent rounds.

Try loading the magazine full and seeing what it does compared to loading only 2 rounds in the magazine. See if the performance or failure changes in any way with the Federal.

Anyway, sounds undergassed to me, and that funky bolt-on FSB is what I blame.

When it DOES cycle the federal, how far from you are cases landing, and to what direction on a clock-face (I know, I know...but it does have some diagnostic use in some cases)?

Last edited:
    Top Bottom