Need recommendation for projector

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LaBelle

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Near Natchitoches
    Hey y'all!

Last time I asked for opinions on office tech here on BS I struck gold, so I'm hoping it'll be 2 for 2!

My volunteer fire department needs a projector for trainings and presentations. The things we would like it to do is;

Use a laptop link up AND flashdrive or memory card input,
    Be bright enough for daylight use,
    Throw a good sized image, have zoom/focus capability and can project from more than 3 or 4 feet away.
    Has to be user friendly in case our less-than-tech-savvy folks have to run it.

Need the best bang for the buck for long-term use. And to justify the purchase to the Board!

What are your recommendations?

tso

Observing...
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2008
    Covington
    We recently put up an 80 inch tv to replace our old projector. Over $2k for a new projector, $500 bulb every year, in the end it's cheaper. Recommended by our projector salesman of all people!

LaBelle

Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Near Natchitoches
    That would be nice if we had a good safe place to leave it - but we have to have something highly portable and small enough to store in a locking file cabinet!
    We don't have a dedicated "training facility"....yet. Normally we just pull the pumper & tanker out of the station and set up folding tables & chairs in front of a chalkboard in the bays.
    Sometimes we can use the city hall meeting room (when it gets too cold, no heat in the station bays).

calcagno45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2014
    Gramercy, LA
    We've been using the Dell 1610HD without issue in our conference and training rooms at work. They go for about $7-800.

But we also have Sharp 80" TVs in a couple conference rooms as well.

Last edited:

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    Well I'm not an expert but I do have experience with with projectors.

First, $2000 is HIGH, average runs about $300 to $1500, you should be able to get one for under $1000, not including installation.

Yes, bulbs are expensive, $200-$500, but should last 4,000 - 5,000 hours of use. We have three at my church that run 15-20 hours a week. So in theory I should get 5 years per bulb. It's been 2-2.5 years so far and no bulb replacement yet.

A few questions:

Are you going to mount it or just use on a table? If mounting you'll have to add in the cost of the mount and cables and installation unless you self install.

Will it just be used in one location or carried to multiple location? If you will be carrying it size and weight matter, if not then not so much.

Daytime use = high lumens. Some are as low and 500-700, not what you want. Lots of models run 2,000-3,000. BUT WATCH OUT. I saw some with white lumens over 2,000 and color lumens around 700. That would be fine for displaying white text, but not for pictures or video.

How big is a "good size image"? I just looked at several and they all would go to ~30"-300".

How long is the room? And what will you be watching? We have about a 25' long conference room at work with a 56" TV. Watching videos is fine, but looking at document or shared desktops is a challenge. Bigger is better.

Zoom, focus, project from more than 3'-4' away is pretty standard on everything except the "toy" projectors.

Ease of use, they should all plug and play.

Recommendations:
    1. Find some to demo, either at the dealer of preferably brought to the location where it will be used.
    2. Call Geauxtech in Jena, (318) 992-0626 or (877) 454-0626, and ask for Jay. I've worked with them for a few years on IT stuff, but they also do some audio/video. Tell him Charles from Madison Parish gave you his name.

Top Bottom