Need recommendations on Knife to be used in SALTWATER

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bwalke1

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    i bought one of the spyderco H-1 series knives made in japan with the serrated blade and used it while crabing in the surf at grand isle this past summer. i was in and out of the water all day. a quick rinse with water when i got home and that was it, no rust, no nothing. it's not cheap but worth every penny. save your money and buy quality you wont be sorry. also the clip on it has a monster grip, i clipped it to my shorts and never had to worry about losing it.

Salt is a series of knives by spyderco. there are many options to choose from. The one thing that they all have in common is that they all use spyderco's H1 steel which is supposedly rustproof. I am picking one up friday for a friend from knifeworks.

http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/list.php?blade=H-1

FishingFool

Calls the shot
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    Metairie
    You will loose the knife. No doubt about it. No sense in buying a really expensive knife.

Follow this link:

http://www.ragweedforge.com/SwedishKnifeCatalog.html

Pick one, order two or three identical models and have it sent to Glockcrazz. He's a forum member here and he does good kydex work. I had him make me a sheath takes a spyderco g clip so i can easily clip it onto my swim trunks or belt and go fishing with it instantly. I'll see if I can't snap a pic.

Last edited:

FishingFool

Calls the shot
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    Metairie
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350095693.735560.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1350095701.606345.jpg

The second pic is a victorinox paring knife. Ultra thin and light weight. I keep that as a neck knife when wade fishing. The mora is setup for cross draw.

cbr900son

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    broussard la
    H1 steel is
    00.120 % - C
    14.200 % - Cr
    01.000 % - Mn
    01.000 % - Mo
    06.800 % - Ni
    00.015 % - Phosphorous
    03.500 % - Si
    00.001 % - Sulphur

It has carbon, just less, and its the iron in the steel that forms rust not the carbon. This is why talonite (cobalt + chromium) and titanium dont rust because thay do not contain iron (non-ferrous alloys). Tho with that makeup Id honestly would like to see what it would take to make it rust! It would take some serious chemical oxidizers id imagine to get it to even discolor some.

Last edited:

audioshooter

On Target. Send It.
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    00.120 % - C
    14.200 % - Cr
    01.000 % - Mn
    01.000 % - Mo
    06.800 % - Ni
    00.015 % - Phosphorous
    03.500 % - Si
    00.001 % - Sulphur

It has carbon, just less, and its the iron in the steel that forms rust not the carbon. This is why talonite (cobalt + chromium) and titanium dont rust because thay do not contain iron (non-ferrous alloys). Tho with that makeup Id honestly would like to see what it would take to make it rust! It would take some serious chemical oxidizers id imagine to get it to even discolor some.

My Bad

cbr900son

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    broussard la
    Not really. For all practical purposes it seems like it would pretty much be what you said. You would have to try super hard and probably use some chemical means to get it to do anything even visible. I just hate for people to think all stainless steels are 100% rust prrof. They are more like very corrosion resitant for the most part.

Top Bottom