need scope for first rifle

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2010
    Madisonville
    just bought a Remington 700 SPS Varmit in a .308, looking for a scope for it. i was looking at Nikons. any advice, or recommendations ?

looking for something inexpensive, yet not cheap and poorly made.

Last edited:

kengel2

Rabble Rabble
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Bedico
    Take a drive over to Hammond and see Jay at SportOptics/Outdoor Outfitters. Ive fingered more scoped over there than Ive bought. Great people, great help.

11Bravo

Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Opelousas, LA
    Nikons are great. Never had any issues with all that I've had and its good glass. I'm currently using a Nikon Monarch X and I love it.

Tim67

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    EBR
    I'm using Nikon Prostaffs and Buckmasters, all 3-9x40, on my deer rifles (.30/30, .30/06. and .45/70) and so far I'm very happy with the brightness, weather resistance and ability to hold zero. The biggest differences I can see between the entry-level Prostaff and the mid-tier Buckmaster is the Buckmaster's finger-adjustable knobs on the turrets and it seems to be more forgiving of eye relief and parallax. The shooting I do (deer to a max of 300 yards) hasn't made me to put repeatability of adjustments to the test. The Monarch line may be superior in that respect.

Natchez Shooters Supply often has good deals www.natchezss.com
    www.opticsplanet.com has everything
    If you have a C&R license, you can get a dealer account at Midway or Grafs then you'll pay what the stores pay instead of what the stores charge.

mprice

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    Breaux Bridge, LA
    For your "first" rifle I'd tell you to buy as much scope as you can afford. And, don't get cheap and let a few $ keep you from getting the reticle, strenght you need. If you trade or outgrow the rifle, you'll always have use for good glass or else, a pile of crappy scopes you can no longer use on anything.

I've had pretty good luck with Burris and Leupolds. SWFA is running a pretty good sale right now on Burris Scopes (some of them are higher end). Just google:

"Below Wholesale Burris Optics Sale at SWFA.com"

Congrats and good luck! If you're like me, your new rifle will become a better rifle the more you shoot it!!

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2010
    Madisonville
    i don't hunt, so it's going to be a range gun, with hunting potential one day maybe. i'd like to be able to shoot as far as i can with the gun. i'm planning on moving to denver this summer and my friend who lives there says there are tons of places with expansive land that you can just go shoot at.

mainly a target rifle. i was looking at the nikon monarch 4-16x in a 50mm. talked to a few people that said i should get a scope with a 30mm tube.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2010
    Madisonville
    For your "first" rifle I'd tell you to buy as much scope as you can afford. And, don't get cheap and let a few $ keep you from getting the reticle, strenght you need. If you trade or outgrow the rifle, you'll always have use for good glass or else, a pile of crappy scopes you can no longer use on anything.

I've had pretty good luck with Burris and Leupolds. SWFA is running a pretty good sale right now on Burris Scopes (some of them are higher end). Just google:

"Below Wholesale Burris Optics Sale at SWFA.com"

Congrats and good luck! If you're like me, your new rifle will become a better rifle the more you shoot it!!

yeah, a guy i used to work with told me about this site today. he put one of their brand fixed powered 16x on his .308, and says he loves it, only drawback is if something is 75 yards or less, you can't see what you are looking at.

kengel2

Rabble Rabble
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Bedico
    You could look at the Bushnell Elite 4200 3-12x. They have some new scopes coming out and just discontinued this line. They are first focal plane, mil dot reticle, with mil adjustments. You can get them for like $550 brand new.

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    what about those falcon menace ffp scopes

I have one in 4-14x44mm and while it's built like a tank the glass on it is about average. Most of the Leupolds that I've owned are clearer (VX-III and Mark 4's) but for a FFP with mil/mil adjustments/reticle the price is sweet. I have mine mounted on my Sako Quad rimfire.

bayoupirate

God of Thunder
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    Raceland, Louisiana
    Really depends on your budget.

Nikon is great for the price.
    I have a Buckmaster 6x18 x 40 with SF and Mil-Dots that is really nice.
    I don't think you can beat it for under $350.

Go somewhere where you can actually put them side by side and compare in the same light and other factors being equal.

Good Luck and Shoot Straight.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeyy504
    Top Bottom