Need some advice about carb on 4 wheeler

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Ok guys I'm trying to get an older four wheeler running or should I say run better. It runs but gas is running out of the carb through the over flow line. It's a 2001 Honda 350ES. I was going to take the carb off and clean it and started to do so and have it almost off but I need help getting the throttle cable out of the carb and also the choke cable. I'm also thinking about putting it back together and just try to clean it with carb cleaner and see what happens. If anyone can recommend a mechanic in the Baton Rouge area just in case I can't get it running. Appreciate any help.

Last edited:

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    Hole in float or trash in needle/seat. Got to pull the bowl off either way and that is much easier with the carb on a table instead of the bike.
    Getting the cables off should be self explanatory
    Can't recommend a mechanic, sorry.
    Look on YouTube for a video. There is a YouTube video to fix almost everything.

Doctor481

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Ponchatoula
    There should be a big nut type fitting at the very top where the throttle cable goes.
    It unscrews and the throttle slide should lift out the carb.
    Choke cable should have either a ball or cylinder shaped fitting that slides out of the choke lever

Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Both of them have nuts on the cabels going into the carb but when you loosen the nuts the cables don't come out as they are connected cutter down in the carb.

Doctor481

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Ponchatoula
    The small nut is a cable adjuster.
    The part it screws into unscrews from the carb body, the slide assembly will lift out the carb.
    Look for a parts diagram on any old school motorcycle carb, that will make it clear.

jms

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 25, 2009
    Franklinton,La.
    I've got a old 1959 tractor that the carb keeps going bad . I was told the new flex fuel (E15) was not good for it .Getting harder to find gas without the corn additives and it is much higher in price .

Hope you get your old 4 wheeler running right . It does sound like the gas float is sticking .

Labeeman

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 11, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I got the throttle out and the choke cable out. The bowl was full of trash and this is what I believe was making the float stick. I cleaned the carb as we'll as i could and will install it and see what happens. I need all new lines and will start the search for them tonight.

CHW2021

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2013
    Abita Springs
    Do yourself a favor, buy a rebuild kit and replace the needle valve. Also, most dealers have a in line filter that is worth every cent, the screen/filter in the tank tends to decompose and will send junk down the line and into the carb; my 350 rancher is a 2002 so I had the same problems.
    Also, if you still have the carb off, spray it full of carb cleaner and let it soak a while drain it and blow it out with compressed air while you have the float & needle valve off. I had the issue of trash and varnish in the needle valve seat that kept the valve from closing and let the fuel overflow; use the entire can of carb cleaner it is cheap.

If you have the fuel lines off drain the tank and reserve, get the trash and water out; use the fuel in your lawn mower. Use Stabil for ethanol fuel and maybe run a bit of Seafoam in the fuel to clean the carb once in a while.

I had to take the carb off 2-3 times before I got the junk out (scrap of green plastic) and replaced the needle valve because I felt it was scarred.
    Good luck.

Top Bottom