Need some help with first concealed pistol

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tiz68

Gun Lover
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    Morgan City
    Ok, so I need some help in making a decision on a good firearm that will be my first concealed weapon. I have never concealed a firearm, although I have open carried. I'm new to the whole concealment thing so pardon me if I seem a bit noobish haha. Now I know this decision is mine, and mine alone. I also know that I need to get a good feel for any firearm that I choose to carry. I'm not new to guns, just concealing them. This thread is mostly just to hear other people's opinions and ideas. It is a good way for me to get an outside the box view and maybe even get a few ideas or suggestions I haven't thought about. It will also give me some direction on what I should be looking for and where I should be looking. So I appreciate any and all help from you guys!

Now, from my research so far this is what I've come up with. I would like to carry a .45. My two biggest options at the moment are a Glock 30SF or some sort of compact 1911. I have held the Glock 30, and found the grip to be a little small for my liking when I first held it. Once the magazine was inserted it did feel a little better, but I've heard about the pinky pinch from the magazines when fired and that does sorta throw me off a bit. I've never had the chance to fire one yet to find out how it feels in action though. Other than that, I've heard great reviews about it and as a Glock owner already (Glock 21SF), I do very much like Glock pistols. I find they are reliable and easy to use. I really like the capacity of the Glocks over the 1911, but I would also like it to be very comfortable to shoot.

Ok so, the second choice is a compact 1911. I own a Taurus full size 1911 and absolutely love it! 1911's have my heart and I'm really leaning towards this, mostly just because I like the 1911's themselves. I've never owned a compact 1911 and know little to nothing about them. I don't know who makes a decent compact at an affordable price. I'm really not looking to spend thousands. This is a starter concealed weapon, so something baseline will be fine for now. As far as budget goes, I have no actual limit per say. I would like to stay about the $500-$800 range. It just kinda depends on how much bang for my buck I am getting. If paying a little more will get me a much better quality piece of work, then I'll consider it. Who makes good quality compact 1911's at a good price? And where is a good place to find these pistols? I live in the Morgan City area, but travel to New Orleans regularly, so anything in between or close by will be easy for me to stop and look around. I also travel to Baton Rouge pretty often as well.

A downfall to the 1911 is it's capacity. I prefer the Glock's round capacity. I have never been able to shoot a compact 1911 either so I wouldn't know which one would be more comfortable to shoot. Just from holding them though, it seems the 1911 would be more comfortable. What's your opinion on sacraficing some comfort for 3 or 4 more rounds of ammo? Also which one of the two would be more comfortable to wear? I would think the 1911 again, since it is a bit thinner. This should also make it easier to conceal right?

As for a holster, I plan on getting a Crossbreed Supertuck IWB once I decide which firearm I will choose to carry. From my research, these seem to be very top of the line quality and with a lifetime warranty, you can't get much better in my opinion. I hear they are very comfortable and that's what I'm looking for. I also want something that will make the weapon easy to conceal, and from what I've seen the Supertuck does the job nicely. If you have any opinions on this or any other suggestions please let me know. Also, do you have any tips, tricks, or advice for a first time concealer? Anything at all that will help a firstimer?

As mentioned, I do own a full size Glock and 1911. I seriously thought about saving some money on buying a compact weapon and just buying the holster for one of those and trying to conceal the fullsize. I know it can be done, but I'm thinking it would just be better to buy a compact specifically for concealment purposes. What are y'all's opinions on this? Should I try concealing the fullsize or would my efforts be better put toward buying a smaller weapon? And if the fullsize is doable, which would be easier, the Glock or 1911? And also, are their any other pistols, I should be looking at that would do the job better than one of these two models?

I think I've covered pretty much everything. If I think of something else, I'll be sure to post it. I wasn't sure whether to post this in the CCW section or handgun section, so I chose handgun since it has more views at any given time. If I did miss something or you have any questions please feel free to ask. I appreciate any help and advice anyone has to offer! Any suggestions or comments you may have, please feel free to let loose! I accpet any and all recommendations! Thanks again everyone for all the help!!

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    The tinny glocks are too small for my personal like ......... SMALL 1911's tend to suck and are totally un-reliable IMO unless you stay with a 4" size.

Have you looked into the M&P45C ???????? SIN-ster can tell you more about it since he carries one every day with an X300

6cyclone6

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    BATON ROUGE
    I can conceal a full-size 1911 pretty easily, but it's not for everyone. If you get a holster for the 1911 it will fit the smaller ones too, so you could try it out with the full-size, and switch to a officers model if needed. I have had good luck with the sprinfield lightweight 1911s, however I mostly carry my glock 23 in a comp-tac Minotaur. I hope this helps. Of course everyone's ideal carry setup is different.

Cookoff

Retired State and Mil. AF
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    Just go to the gun store and find a gun that you can put into your pocket and not know its their, you can carry it all day and not feel it, their are many, I have carried a glock 27 with a mod trigger 3.5 pounds, for 20 years works great, but their are some other choises available, 38 and 357 mag revolvers, 5 shot , smiths and rugers, check out them all at your local gun shop... the trik is to not know its in your pocket..

leVieux

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    New Orleans
    Dude,

I have most of what you discussed in my safe. Colt, Kimber, GLOCKS, Taurus, etc.

I agree that there's not much advantage with a "compact" 1911.

We just love our Taurus Millenium Pro PT-145 ! Same size as a GLOCK 26, 10+1 .45ACP, "slimmer" than a G30, never malfunctions, and it's cheap; what's not to love ? Especially the "never malfunctions" part !

leVieux

Tiz68

Gun Lover
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    Morgan City
    The tinny glocks are too small for my personal like ......... SMALL 1911's tend to suck and are totally un-reliable IMO unless you stay with a 4" size.

Have you looked into the M&P45C ???????? SIN-ster can tell you more about it since he carries one every day with an X300

I've never held one so I'm going to have to look into it! Thanks for the recommendation! Everywhere I went to today didn't have any compact .45's other than a Glock 30 and a Citadel compact 1911 (which was pretty horrible btw). So I'll have to keep an eye out for it next time I browse around!

I can conceal a full-size 1911 pretty easily, but it's not for everyone. If you get a holster for the 1911 it will fit the smaller ones too, so you could try it out with the full-size, and switch to a officers model if needed. I have had good luck with the sprinfield lightweight 1911s, however I mostly carry my glock 23 in a comp-tac Minotaur. I hope this helps. Of course everyone's ideal carry setup is different.

That was also an option I had considered. I was a little worried though when I looked on the Crossbreed website. They have so many different designs for a wide range of different 1911's. I wasn't sure if I got one that fit my Taurus, it would fit a different model compact, if I decided the full size was too big to conceal. And I can't afford to buy two different holsters haha. I might give them a call once I pin down a good compact 1911 to consider and ask them if the holster would fit both. That way I can try it out on the fullsize and if it's just too big to conceal keep it for the compact once I get it. Thanks for the advice!!

OneStory

Warrior in God's Army
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Wandering
    Why are you concerned about having a gun that is "comfortable" to shoot?

If you shoot your CCW, you are either in a fight for your life or practicing for a fight for your life. Comfort has little to do with it, IMO.

My advice?... Put your current Glock in the most comfortable holster you can find. Spend the money that is burning a hole in your pocket on a Ruger LCP and a Desantis SuperFly w/outer flap as a pocket backup. Along with a good mag pouch for an extra Glock mag.

Then...practice.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0

It's actually a FS 4.5". :eek3:

Tiz--

Long post forthcoming!!!

I think the best place to begin is to ask just how much concealment you're going to need-- and what type of wardrobe restrictions you're going to face? You will hear it a lot, and to some degree it's true-- dressing "around the gun" is something to consider.

Beyond that, keep in mind that different body types and sizes will either narrow or expand your options. While it may seem illogical, the skinny guys typically have the most flexibility, all other things being equal.

Two things I like to stress: 1) The gun should be comforting, not comfortable-- to loosely quote a real gunfighter. 2) Never, ever, ever sacrifice performance for comfort or concealment. If you don't shoot as well with the G30, you can train around it; but is it worth the roadblock?

I would suggest you spend a day around the house (for legality sake) carrying one of your full sized guns, for a point of reference at the very least. Then, try the other one! Now a caveat to this experiment-- a good holster makes ALL of the difference. While some offerings out there will accomodate both a FS and "mid-sized" pistol from the same manufacturer (G17 and G19, for example), they won't work with the sub-compact versions. So your test won't be fully accurate unless you want to (potentially) waste the cash-- but it should at least give you some idea!

I'll use my own experiences to give you some context about all of the elements I've discussed so far, just to help clear up any potential ambiguities.

I'm 6' on the nose, and weigh in at a whopping 155 pounds on a good day. My ideal pant size is 31"; my shoulders are broad enough that some Large sized shirts actually don't fit properly across my chest/under my arms. I am graciously exempt from wardrobe restrictions, and go with a t-shirt most days with a smattering of button downs when I gotta get sextified!

I've carried a big honkin' M&P 45 Fullsize for... wow... over 3 years now-- with 2 spare mags on the opposite hip. Always OWB at 3 o'clock-- the least "concealment friendly" holster configuration/placement available. Prior to that, I carried a G22 for 3 years, also OWB most of the time. Never, in that ~7 year span, has anyone noticed the firearm-- period. People who I spent TONS of time around, who *knew* I carried all of the time, were often surprised when I pulled it off or when they came into physical contact with it through my outer garments (through hugs, the confines of a car, etc.).

Now, was it invisible? No; I often experienced (notice the past tense-- more on that later) what we call "printing", where some part of the gun (typically the butt) made a distinctive pattern against the cover garment. In my case, it happened with moderate twisting of my upper body, reaching up or forward with my right arm, or bending to the left from the waist. But I had to stand in front of a mirror to know it was happening-- no one else ever had a clue. And think about it-- just how often are you eyeballing someone's waistline throughout the day, especially when they're moving their upper body in a manner that draws your eyes to the the movement or the object with which they're interacting?

That "printing" all but vanished when I went to a Raven Concealment holster; it holds the gun extremely high and tight, and now I have to work (again, looking in the mirror) to make it show up under my clothing. That's how much of a difference it can make!

By now it should be obvious-- concealment is not a huge concern for me. I don't place a premium on making the gun invisible, because in my experience, people are oblivious anyway. Someone looking expressly for the gun, over an extended period of time, might catch wind of its presence-- sure. But keep in mind, the only person you truly need to conceal the gun from is a criminal-- an opportunist, typically not the sharpest tool in the drawer, likely under the influence of drugs or alcohol, who is vastly more concerned with the cash in your wallet and getting you into a secluded area so that they won't be caught. Open Carry guys often make the argument that a visible firearm can deter criminal enterprises-- so all the better if they do spot it, right? (They won't; I spend a lot of time around trained LEO who always exhibit some surprise when, in a discussion about weapons, I reveal the one I'm carrying. And it should have been obvious at that point that I was likely armed!)

Now, your situation might be different. You may work around folks with whom the presence of a gun on your person may cause problems; you may deal with customers under the same circumstances. But again, I'm here to tell you-- most people have the situational awareness of a doorknob, you shouldn't be giving them a reason to look for the gun, and it's very much possible to conceal a full sized firearm extremely well.

So why go full sized at all? Performance, point blank and period. The advantages are as tangible as they are numerous-- capacity, sight radius, ergonomics that lead to easier recoil management, etc. And I do my level best to use the best tool for the job, especially when the job is keeping me safe and sound!

I've got more to say as to the options you've mentioned thus far, but I'll hold off on that until we hear some more feedback from you.

Last edited:

BigNick73

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 21, 2008
    Brandon, MS
    I actually have both the g30sf and several full size 1911s. I got the glock before the 1911s and haven't carried it since trying the 1911. I found it thick and uncomfortable all around. Got crossbreed holsters for both. The full size 1911 disappears no problem, other than the weight, and occasionally having my shirt ride up when getting out of the car or bending over, I don't notice it. Plus I'm a hell of a lot better with the 1911 platform than the glock. Also carry a Sig P238 regularly, I really don't notice it.

Tiz68

Gun Lover
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    Morgan City
    It's actually a FS 4.5". :eek3:

Tiz--

Long post forthcoming!!!

I think the best place to begin is to ask just how much concealment you're going to need-- and what type of wardrobe restrictions you're going to face? You will hear it a lot, and to some degree it's true-- dressing "around the gun" is something to consider.

Beyond that, keep in mind that different body types and sizes will either narrow or expand your options. While it may seem illogical, the skinny guys typically have the most flexibility, all other things being equal.

Two things I like to stress: 1) The gun should be comforting, not comfortable-- to loosely quote a real gunfighter. 2) Never, ever, ever sacrifice performance for comfort or concealment. If you don't shoot as well with the G30, you can train around it; but is it worth the roadblock?

I would suggest you spend a day around the house (for legality sake) carrying one of your full sized guns, for a point of reference at the very least. Then, try the other one! Now a caveat to this experiment-- a good holster makes ALL of the difference. While some offerings out there will accomodate both a FS and "mid-sized" pistol from the same manufacturer (G17 and G19, for example), they won't work with the sub-compact versions. So your test won't be fully accurate unless you want to (potentially) waste the cash-- but it should at least give you some idea!

I'll use my own experiences to give you some context about all of the elements I've discussed so far, just to help clear up any potential ambiguities.

I'm 6' on the nose, and weigh in at a whopping 155 pounds on a good day. My ideal pant size is 31"; my shoulders are broad enough that some Large sized shirts actually don't fit properly across my chest/under my arms. I am graciously exempt from wardrobe restrictions, and go with a t-shirt most days with a smattering of button downs when I gotta get sextified!

I've carried a big honkin' M&P 45 Fullsize for... wow... over 3 years now-- with 2 spare mags on the opposite hip. Always OWB at 3 o'clock-- the least "concealment friendly" holster configuration/placement available. Prior to that, I carried a G22 for 3 years, also OWB most of the time. Never, in that ~7 year span, has anyone noticed the firearm-- period. People who I spent TONS of time around, who *knew* I carried all of the time, were often surprised when I pulled it off or when they came into physical contact with it through my outer garments (through hugs, the confines of a car, etc.).

Now, was it invisible? No; I often experienced (notice the past tense-- more on that later) what we call "printing", where some part of the gun (typically the butt) made a distinctive pattern against the cover garment. In my case, it happened with moderate twisting of my upper body, reaching up or forward with my right arm, or bending to the left from the waist. But I had to stand in front of a mirror to know it was happening-- no one else ever had a clue. And think about it-- just how often are you eyeballing someone's waistline throughout the day, especially when they're moving their upper body in a manner that draws your eyes to the the movement or the object with which they're interacting?

That "printing" all but vanished when I went to a Raven Concealment holster; it holds the gun extremely high and tight, and now I have to work (again, looking in the mirror) to make it show up under my clothing. That's how much of a difference it can make!

By now it should be obvious-- concealment is not a huge concern for me. I don't place a premium on making the gun invisible, because in my experience, people are oblivious anyway. Someone looking expressly for the gun, over an extended period of time, might catch wind of its presence-- sure. But keep in mind, the only person you truly need to conceal the gun from is a criminal-- an opportunist, typically not the sharpest tool in the drawer, likely under the influence of drugs or alcohol, who is vastly more concerned with the cash in your wallet and getting you into a secluded area so that they won't be caught. Open Carry guys often make the argument that a visible firearm can deter criminal enterprises-- so all the better if they do spot it, right? (They won't; I spend a lot of time around trained LEO who always exhibit some surprise when, in a discussion about weapons, I reveal the one I'm carrying. And it should have been obvious at that point that I was likely armed!)

Now, your situation might be different. You may work around folks with whom the presence of a gun on your person may cause problems; you may deal with customers under the same circumstances. But again, I'm here to tell you-- most people have the situational awareness of a doorknob, you shouldn't be giving them a reason to look for the gun, and it's very much possible to conceal a full sized firearm extremely well.

So why go full sized at all? Performance, point blank and period. The advantages are as tangible as they are numerous-- capacity, sight radius, ergonomics that lead to easier recoil management, etc. And I do my level best to use the best tool for the job, especially when the job is keeping me safe and sound!

I've got more to say as to the options you've mentioned thus far, but I'll hold off on that until we hear some more feedback from you.

Sin-ster, I want to thank you for this very well thought out and detailed post. You have been a tremendous help to me! Your logic is respectable and easily understood!

I am 5'11" and 235 pounds. I would neither call myself fat or very musculer. I would say it is a mix of the two. I would also say I am above average when it comes to my overall size. I wear a 38" pants waist and I have a little bit of a gut. That's just to give you an idea of my body type, which might help you if you have any other advice. As far my clothing, I usually wear semi loose fitting t-shirts (not baggy down to my knees big and not skin tight either), with either jeans or a good pair of shorts, meaning with pockets and belt loops not just elastic slip on shorts. I will probably need to "dress around the gun" with a few of my clothing options, but that shouldn't be a big issue. I'll experiment with those options as well. Knowing all of this do you think the Crossbreed Supertuck would be a wise decision, or should I maybe look around for another type of holster?

After reading your post, I'm greatly leaning towards holding out on purchasing a new firearm, and will most likely try my hand at concealing one of my fullsize firearms. It will most likely be my 1911, as I am more familiar with it and I am slightly more accurate shooting it over the Glock. Before I make my decision, however, I will follow your advice and carry each firearm around the house for a couple of days or so and see which one works out best in that aspect.

You make excellent points about the concealment of any firearm. Especially the point of view of an outsider not aware of you carrying a firearm, and them not even thinking twice about it unless they actually see it. I've never really thought about it that way, but you are absolutely correct. Their lack of situational awareness makes concealing a fullsize gun a little bit easier. And it certainly gives me more piece of mind about carrying one.

I actually have both the g30sf and several full size 1911s. I got the glock before the 1911s and haven't carried it since trying the 1911. I found it thick and uncomfortable all around. Got crossbreed holsters for both. The full size 1911 disappears no problem, other than the weight, and occasionally having my shirt ride up when getting out of the car or bending over, I don't notice it. Plus I'm a hell of a lot better with the 1911 platform than the glock. Also carry a Sig P238 regularly, I really don't notice it.

BigNick, thanks for the info! That makes me feel that much better about the Crossbreed and about carrying a fullsize 1911!!

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Glad everything I typed came across well!

I am, sadly to say, unable to make any specific recommendations based on your particular build-- I just don't have the experience! However, speaking in abstracts, it sounds as if you'll be able to conceal a pretty wide range of options, and your experimentation with the FS guns at your disposal should tell you quite a bit.

While I've never used a Crossbreed long term, I've heard nothing but good things, seen them used to great effect in many cases, and enjoyed playing around with one for a couple of days myself. It is, IOW, a fine choice. If you're going with the 1911, you may also consider a Yaqui-style OWB holster. I do sport one of those when I'm visiting family in Florida, and while the gun itself is a 4" 1911 on an Officers frame, there is no question that a full sized gun of the same flavor would conceal just as well. It will also be comfortable, and not require you to go shopping for larger waisted pants and belts to accomodate the girth of the pistol inside the waist band.

Since you do, in theory at least, have so many options to choose from-- just how set are you on the two platforms themselves? The 1911 is a fine weapon, no doubt-- and has been so for 100 years now. By that same token, it's a design that's over a century old-- with a comparatively "difficult" manual of arms when compared to more recent point-and-click options (like the Glock), a limited magazine capacity, a finicky nature in terms of function, and slower on the reload without the help of a specialized mainspring housing/magwell combo. On the flip side, the Glock has a notoriously difficult trigger to master, a "fat grip" that doesn't agree with a lot of people (especially in the .45 iterations, including the Slim Frames), an "odd" grip angle that often translates into less speed for acceptable accuracy, and a notably lighter weight that can be a hindrance to recoil management.

Many of these elements can be trained around, and I'm certainly not familiar with your experience level or dedication to proficiency. But again, speaking in general terms, they are rarely the best options for most people-- in quantifiable terms of "hits on target, at speed" (in the case of the G21) and operation under stress (for the 1911). This of course does not apply to everyone, even excluding their current competency levels-- but as a general rule of thumb, it seems to be applicable.

Without going into specifics, there are numerous makes, models and even other calibers that you may consider in place of your current selections. The main thing to remember is that in a real self-defense encounter, there's a lot more at play than how well you perform with a gun while shooting from a static position, at an immobile B27 target, at a slow-fire pace. Mechanics begin to break down quickly under stress, and things that aren't second nature (like disengaging the thumb safety during your drawstroke with the 1911) can quickly become a liability. It is in this regard that you want every advantage on your side, and a pistol with lesser recoil, fewer "switches to flip", and more beans in the magazine may become a better option.

Just something else to consider!

504BigNasty

Looter Assassin
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    NOLA-Bywater
    I've carried the glock 30 and I at first found it to be a little small. So I bought some 21 mags with the sleeve and problem was solved. Hope this helps.

Tiz68

Gun Lover
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    Morgan City
    Once again, Sin-ster, thanks alot! I still have several decisions to make to find the perfect ccw for me, but you truly made the task so much easier! You pointed me in the right direction and following your guidelines will really help to make my search easier. You gave me plenty of ideas to take into consideration. And in the end it's what fits each individual person that matters. I have just started my search for my perfect fit, and I know it'll be a fun and interesting journey finding that right combination for me and my lifestyle. I really appreciate all of your opinions and I'm sure I'll hear more before I make my final decision!

Oh and to the question of how set I am on those platforms...I would love to explore other weapon platforms. At the moment, however, I can't afford to try too much. And beings I have these two already it would be in my best interest to stick to them at the moment. Hopefully in the near future though I can expand my experience across a wider array of firearms. I've had both the Glock and the 1911 for quite some time. And while I need to increase my training of both firearms, especially to start concealing, I've become adequate at using each in different situations.

Thanks again for all the help! It's much appreciated!

Pacioli

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Why are you concerned about having a gun that is "comfortable" to shoot?

If you shoot your CCW, you are either in a fight for your life or practicing for a fight for your life. Comfort has little to do with it, IMO.

Let me tackle that question because I went through a learning curve on that topic. I bought a Kahr PM45 for carry because it was the most concealable size 45 available. What I learned in about a thousand rounds is that the gun was a beatch to shoot. The recoil, or muzzle flip was so abusive that I found myself not wanting to train with it. I mean really train, like running drills. I finally came to the realization that, duh, I was carrying and trusting my life to a gun I didn't train with. Not smart, I sold the gun. ETA, the recoil management was so difficult that getting a second shot on target was significantly slower and more difficult than with full size guns. Another strike against a trading size for usability.

To the OP, concealment is not as hard as you think. I have a Tucker Gun Leather IWB holster like the one you are considering from Crossbreed. One of my best friends has a Comptac. We both carry 5" 1911s. You do have to mind your dress but it's doable. Depending on your build, it may be easier or harder. I was at the range with another poster on this board who is a young, fit person. He had a full size 1911 in a Comptac under an untucked golf shirt. Most people would never have seen it.

Final thought, 3" 1911s are notorious for not cycling well. And they'll beat the hell out of you like my Kahr did.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Tiz68

Gun Lover
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    Morgan City
    Let me tackle that question because I went through a learning curve on that topic. I bought a Kahr PM45 for carry because it was the most concealable size 45 available. What I learned in about a thousand rounds is that the gun was a beatch to shoot. The recoil, or muzzle flip was so abusive that I found myself not wanting to train with it. I mean really train, like running drills. I finally came to the realization that, duh, I was carrying and trusting my life to a gun I didn't train with. Not smart, I sold the gun. ETA, the recoil management was so difficult that getting a second shot on target was significantly slower and more difficult than with full size guns. Another strike against a trading size for usability.

To the OP, concealment is not as hard as you think. I have a Tucker Gun Leather IWB holster like the one you are considering from Crossbreed. One of my best friends has a Comptac. We both carry 5" 1911s. You do have to mind your dress but it's doable. Depending on your build, it may be easier or harder. I was at the range with another poster on this board who is a young, fit person. He had a full size 1911 in a Comptac under an untucked golf shirt. Most people would never have seen it.

Final thought, 3" 1911s are notorious for not cycling well. And they'll beat the hell out of you like my Kahr did.

Good luck.

Thank you so much for that advice! It seems a lot more people than I originally thought conceal a full-size model at one time or another!

And I agree you have to make some sacrifices for a more concealable firearm, but if it's too uncomfortable it's just useless. It has to be at least somewhat fun to shoot and train with! Otherwise, it'll never get used.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    I conceal carry a Full Size M&P9 with a TLR-1 all day every day, like SIN I use a Raven Style Holster at 3 o'clock OWB and 2 spare FULL size mags on the oposite side.

When I need FULL concealment I have an M&P9c w TLR3 or Glock19 Gen2.

I also carry most of the time an S&W Bodyguard 380 in the front pocket "support" side

Sigforty

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2007
    As someone mentioned stick to a 1911 with a 4" barrel. I carry a para ordnance p13 limited in a iwb holster from rm holsters. I'm a big guy and this gun with the rm holster is comfortable to wear and very well concealed. It took me a few holsters to find the right one, but my gun decision was based on what shot well and was proficient with.

TecheTitan

You suck & HK hates you
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 21, 2009
    New Iberia, La
    Sin-ster, I want to thank you for this very well thought out and detailed post. You have been a tremendous help to me! Your logic is respectable and easily understood!

I am 5'11" and 235 pounds. I would neither call myself fat or very musculer. I would say it is a mix of the two. I would also say I am above average when it comes to my overall size. I wear a 38" pants waist and I have a little bit of a gut. That's just to give you an idea of my body type, which might help you if you have any other advice. As far my clothing, I usually wear semi loose fitting t-shirts (not baggy down to my knees big and not skin tight either), with either jeans or a good pair of shorts, meaning with pockets and belt loops not just elastic slip on shorts. I will probably need to "dress around the gun" with a few of my clothing options, but that shouldn't be a big issue. I'll experiment with those options as well. Knowing all of this do you think the Crossbreed Supertuck would be a wise decision, or should I maybe look around for another type of holster?

After reading your post, I'm greatly leaning towards holding out on purchasing a new firearm, and will most likely try my hand at concealing one of my fullsize firearms. It will most likely be my 1911, as I am more familiar with it and I am slightly more accurate shooting it over the Glock. Before I make my decision, however, I will follow your advice and carry each firearm around the house for a couple of days or so and see which one works out best in that aspect.

You make excellent points about the concealment of any firearm. Especially the point of view of an outsider not aware of you carrying a firearm, and them not even thinking twice about it unless they actually see it. I've never really thought about it that way, but you are absolutely correct. Their lack of situational awareness makes concealing a fullsize gun a little bit easier. And it certainly gives me more piece of mind about carrying one.

BigNick, thanks for the info! That makes me feel that much better about the Crossbreed and about carrying a fullsize 1911!!

There is a lot of good advise in this thread so far. With that being said, it sounds like you have a build similar to mine, I am 5'10" and around 215lbs. I normally carry my HK USP 45c in either a crossbreed supertuck at 4 o'clock position (due to the love handles), or a kydex IWB, which is similar to the Raven concealment holster. I also use a leather IWB holster on occasions with the USP. I find all of those options conceal very well, normally you really won't even notice unless you are looking for it yourself.
    I agree with what many others here have already posted, you have to dress around the gun, and it won't be as comfortable as not carrying, but it will be comforting to know it's there. I can get away with wearing shorts and a T-shirt with no problem. I tend to wear cargo type shorts which gives me the option of belt loops, but many times I find myself not wearing a belt at all and have no problems.
    I have also found that "camp" type shirts or "fishing" shirts offer slightly better concealment that a regular T-shirt as they tend to be a little longer and don't hug my body as tightly.
    I also have the same setup for carrying my 1911's, which I do on occasion. Both of my 1911's are full sized and conceal very easily also with a good IWB holster.
    Another good option is a small pocket gun. I usually tend to carry a Ruger LCP in my front pocket with a Desantis Nemisis holster. That is truly one carry option that is comfortable, but the LCP is mainly just a backup.

audioshooter

On Target. Send It.
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    one thing i havent seen mentioned is a belt. A good belt makes a world of difference. While i can not yet CC, i choose to open carry in a "virginia tuck" fashion. i.e IWB shirt tucked behind the weapon. A good belt will limit the travel of the butt of your weapon of choice, thus limiting printing. i believethe best bang for your buck is Kcinnick's belts.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PatRome
    Top Bottom