Need some help with first concealed pistol

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    I agree, a good belt is a MUST I am a fan on webbing though and find little use for leather in my type of work since I very seldom have to "dress up"

Im a HUGE fan of th new cobra belts though and JONES Tactical makes some awesome stuff

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    I'd recommend starting with what you already have. You said, you couldn't afford to buy a bunch of holsters and I agree it can get pretty expensive. Here is a "starter" option to see if you can live with carrying a full size pistol: http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/content/p/9/pid/23872/catid/14/Maverick_Tuckaway_Holster_Lg__Auto

It's a $15 IWB that will allow you to carry either of your large autos just to see if it will work for you. If you decide to go that route, you'll want a better holster. The XD guys tend to like the Cross Breed Supertuck, 1911 guys tend to like Milt Sparks Versamax 2, I'll let the Glock guys here tell you what they like.

If you start off with the cheapie holster I posted, it'll give you the ability to explore the option while still "thinking" about what you really want. No sense in getting in to big a hurry.

As far as the compacts go.... I don't care for the small 1911 due to reliability concerns. Some people do make it work, but you should be on top of the gun making sure everything is GTG.

For the days where I can't carry a 1911, I carry a small frame revolver, often in my pocket. I love the little guns.

Good luck.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    one thing i havent seen mentioned is a belt. A good belt makes a world of difference. While i can not yet CC, i choose to open carry in a "virginia tuck" fashion. i.e IWB shirt tucked behind the weapon. A good belt will limit the travel of the butt of your weapon of choice, thus limiting printing. i believethe best bang for your buck is Kcinnick's belts.

That's a stellar point.

One of our board sponsors, kcinnick, has recently started offering leather gun belts-- and people whose opinions I trust on the subject say that they are of excellent quality. Like guate, I also favor a nylon number, and the Wilderness Tactical Instructor Belt has been a godsend from the moment I was put on to it.

I wrecked so many standard belts in the past via CC, it's actually sickening to think about...

audioshooter

On Target. Send It.
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    That's a stellar point.

One of our board sponsors, kcinnick, has recently started offering leather gun belts-- and people whose opinions I trust on the subject say that they are of excellent quality. Like guate, I also favor a nylon number, and the Wilderness Tactical Instructor Belt has been a godsend from the moment I was put on to it.

I wrecked so many standard belts in the past via CC, it's actually sickening to think about...

you implying that you dont trust my opinion?

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    you implying that you dont trust my opinion?

:rofl:

I dunno-- don't really know you that well! In terms of belt quality, I'd have no reason to doubt you though!

You did raise a great point about the importance of a sturdy one-- that's a huge plus already.

But no, there was no implication intended there. I was just saying a couple leather-savvy guys have eyeballed kcinnick's stuff and said they are excellent.

Tiz68

Gun Lover
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    Morgan City
    Thanks for the very awesome advice everyone! I never even considered the belt I would be wearing. I'll add that to my list of items to research as well!!

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Good belt and quality holsters are a must for a CCW. I'm 5'11" and used to weigh 235lbs and wear 38 x 32 pants. Now I weigh 255lbs and waist size is proportionally bigger. I assume we have a very similar body type. At every weight in between and included those I tried lots and lots of IWB holsters and NEVER found one that worked for me. They're all uncomfortable for me. Most chunky guys have the same problem despite the claims of people trying to sell holsters. Now I use a 3 O'clock OWB high ride holsters 80% of the time. Normally its with a compact 38 special but I also use a Sig P228 frequently. Like sin-ster there is some minimal printing and other nearly 18 years I've never been made out as having a CCW. Or if I was no one every said anything about it to me. If you don't dress like a thug and don't act like you're hiding something I think the few people that MIGHT notice it will assume you're OK. I believe that people that look for CCW's are not the kind of people that'll make a deal out of it when they spot one.

For example anyone, ANYONE, wearing a photographer's type vest with out having a large camera is carrying a CCW. If you're from La and you have a fanny pack. The pack has a secret compartment. I know these things but I'm not going to approach anyone carrying and make any kind of issue. Do you see where I'm coming from here?

As far as compact 1911's I used to communicate with a guy worked for Colt and developed the Officer's Model (first compact 1911 ever) Here's the thing you have to be aware of if you choose to go that route. They require a great deal more attention (spring changes etc) than their larger cousins to make them as reliable as them. I had a Officer's Model and had to change the recoil springs every year even if I never shop it. If I didn't it would have lots of problems. To me compact 1911's in 45 acp are not able to inspire my confidence enough to carry one. One day it would run fine like a champ, feed everything, etc. The next month it wouldn't until I replaced the springs or something.

Dave

Pacioli

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Excellent points on the belt. Based on a recommendation in another thread here on BS, I picked up a 5.11 Trainer belt, and LOVE it. The Trainer is a 1.5" belt, the Operator is the same belt in 1.75" I got mine for a little under $50 at Baton Rouge Police Supply. I bought a black one with black buckle and it goes with everything except office wear. For dress wear, I have a brown leather belt from The Belt Man in NC and a black leather one from CompTac. The Comptac, with tapered front, is dressy enough for office wear. You'll find the belt is less important, although not unimportant, when carrying IWB. For OWB, it's critical.

Tiz68

Gun Lover
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    Morgan City
    dwr461, thanks for sharing your experiences with your holsters! I will definitely take that into consideration! As for a belt, I pmed kcinnick about one of his belts. I looked at his pictures, and read the reviews of other members here, and I think that would be my best route to take for a belt! His workmanship looks top knotch, and supporting other BS members is definitely a plus for me!

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    http://thebeltman.net/

You're welcome Tiz68. The seller at the above link as an excellent reputation as well. The belt is like the foundation for a house. You need a good solid one for the holster to work as designed. I've found this to be especially true for high ride OWB holsters.

Dave

audioshooter

On Target. Send It.
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    :rofl:

I dunno-- don't really know you that well! In terms of belt quality, I'd have no reason to doubt you though!

You did raise a great point about the importance of a sturdy one-- that's a huge plus already.

But no, there was no implication intended there. I was just saying a couple leather-savvy guys have eyeballed kcinnick's stuff and said they are excellent.

just busting your chops.

audioshooter

On Target. Send It.
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    but i would dare to say that a good stiff belt is even more important for OC, because generally the weapon is further from the body. this will cause the force load to be further allowing for more movement of the weapon as the person moves. especially with a paddle holster

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DRB88
    Top Bottom