Need some imput guys.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nick M

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    Metairie
    Im torn between purchasing either the mossberg 590a1, mossberg 930 spx , or the remington 887 nitro mag. and secondly wether or not to buy with or without pistol grip. They are all great weapons, just would like to here some first hand dealing and experience with them. Only shotgun ive ever used was a bunelli semi auto i.e military.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    Of those, the 590 would easily be my choice. The Reminton 870, or even maverick 88 would work fine too. I've got an older Winchester 120 with a shortened barrel that works fine. Spend time with the pump gun though, it's easy to short stroke in the heat of the moment. As many here will tell you, get some training!

If you want an Autoloader, Benelli M2 or M4 would be great, but they aren't cheap.

00 buck is what you want to use.

Now you may also consider an AR for HD. The 5.56 is one of the few rounds that will penetrate enough badguy and have less tendency to go through walls (not that it won't) since many of the rounds will tumble and fragment. I don't really know enough about it to guide you here. Do some research before you commit.

bird shot

And does not guarantee penetration to the major blood bearing organs for incapacitation of a BG.

Nick M

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    Metairie
    training isnt the problem, i have a ar as well, but looking for a nice, tactical home defense shotgun that will suit me and the misses. and price wise the nitro comes out ahead but im more keen on the mossbergs. and both models can be had from 550-750 depending where you buy. i dont however plan on spending over 800 for shotgun, the berreta/benelli are nice but i cant see spendind 1500 for either when both mossberg and remington can do the same.

again training isnt a issue just more or less looking for everyone personal experience. Pros and Cons among the constant comparasions ive been doing online. After ive taken it in i will eventally make a decision for myself and learn to be comfortable with what every i decide.

lsu fan

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    Metry
    Like BBQ said... I'd probably go with the 590 or an 870. They're very affordable and reliable.

It is easy to short stroke a pump in the heat of the moment if you don't have enough practice with it though. I've seen many a duck hunter have this problem when the birds start flying like crazy. I also watched a kid shooting skeet this past weekend do it several different times, trying to beat his buddy to the bird. It's easy to do, but it never happened to me when I use to shoot an 870... :D

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    I would go SEMI all day every day, easier platform to work with. As mentioned before I have seen MANY "experienced" OP type guys in training classes simply short stroking or smashing their own hands in the heat of the moment with a pump and this are guys that train on how to run one. The semi also has its own problems and issues that you have to learn on but its much easier to keep her running once you train on it.

Out of the ones you mentioned I would take the 930 SPX, or a plain 870 before I go with the 887. If you compare the small differences between the Mossberg 500 series and the Remington 800 series some might work better for you than other, as an example I much rather the safety on a Mossberg BUT I rather the pump release on a Remington being its forward of the trigger guard instead of behind it. Little things like that can make a difference under stress if you have to do ammo change over

Bird shot is perfect for home defense, we have tested it in classes and I would def use #8,#9 shot inside my home without a worry , BUCK WILL travel through 3 inside walls and still make exit on outside siding, slug is GUARANTEED to leave your house. Just a few things to consider.

Nick M

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    Metairie
    as of right now im leaning towards the 590 and the 930. and like you said the main thing im thinking about is pump over semi action.but thanks for the input guys.

dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Seen people shot with birdshot. If you shoot them within a certain range it's effective. Outside that range not so much. Buckshot is always effective within the normal self defense range.
    That's just what I've seen anyway.
    Dave

762NATO

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Lafayette
    The Benelli Nova lineup comes to mind, and it has the wonderful feature of being able to interrupt the feed from the mag via the slide release and a button on the pump so that feeding a shell directly into the chamber is perfectly possible. The Ithaca Model 37s come to mind. GREAT gun, and the Green Berets in Vietnam carried and LOVED them. The SX3 of Winchester origin is the fastest pump in the world, and shucks it nearly as fast as most autoloaders.
    CZ 912 gets my vote, or the Berettas Pablo preaches, for a semiauto.

lsu fan

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    Metry
    No what? Birdshot inside the home is no good? Is that what you're saying?

Essentially, yes that's what I was saying. Although, it's not a terrible option. At close range it will be effective, and probably fatal. Even at ~15 yards, it should be enough to stop an assault, especially if you have 6+ shots to spare.

Although, being a home owner with no children in the house, I'd rather have 00, or at least #4 buck. If you're living in an apartment, in close proximity to others, birdshot may be the only safe option.

I wouldn't use it in my HD shotgun, but I wouldn't want to get shot with it either... lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    joshualectric
    Top Bottom