Need some opinions on sights

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pmac81

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Gonzales
    I have a RRA Entry Tactical with a EOTech 512 on it, I took off the detachable carry handle and am looking into getting a MBUS for the rear sight and possibly a flip up front sight and having the standard front sight thats on it removed. I personally like the HK style front sight, but am looking for opinions, advice, and ideas from others who have similar setups on their ARs, thanks in advance for the advice

pmac81

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Gonzales
    Im looking for a rear flip up buis because I plan on getting a 3x magnifier for the eotech so I want to be able to flip the sight down and out of the way, just didnt know if I should get magpul, daniel defense, etc etc, the list goes on

Narco

0-60 in 5.11
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 6, 2007
    New Orleans
    While the 3x is nice... if you need magnification, I would personal go with a Meopta or Burris Tactical 1x4. If you wish to still "shot the dot" you can easily attach a fastfire to the top..

http://www.burrisoptics.com/xtrtactical1.html

xtr1_04.jpg

I am going with similar set up for 3 Gun, but without the red dot on top.. Since I do not want to shoot open class, I am putting the JP VTAC Homie sight at 2' oclock on my rail..

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I just did a lot of research on flip rear sights...and it seems Troy, Midwest Industries and GG&G seem to be the top choices, in that order. Alot of people like the Magpul units, and alot of people hate them. :dunno:

Personally I'm sticking with standard front sights from now on. It wasn't fun at the range when my professionally installed, super fancy flip-up front sight gas block worked a screw loose and turned my AR into a single-shot rifle. Not saying they don't work for 99% of people, just saying I personally lost faith in them.

pmac81

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Gonzales
    I think I may end up selling the eotech I have and upgrading to that one, the buttons on the side are sooooo much better than the ones on the back, especially when you add magnifiers and other accessories on the back, and the nv capable feature will give me an excuse to end up getting some nv gear.... wait a minute... Im getting divorced, I dont need no stinking excuses anymore hehe

pmac81

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Gonzales
    Im going tomorrow, well today technically, to get an asap plate, ms2 sling, and I want to get the acs stock

pmac81

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Gonzales
    would really like to end up getting an sbr upper also, but I believe Im going to need some serious help or one of those "Complete Idiots guide to ATF paperwork" books (I know they dont make that book but it would be helpful)

Narco

0-60 in 5.11
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 6, 2007
    New Orleans
    Research shows - otherwise perfect sight with a recticle that makes it useless for what I wanted it for.

Thats what I am waiting to play with before a purchase, KZ45 Nightforce is true... and I haven't touched the Meopta yet...

Jim's didn't have any to fingerbang last time I stop... I usually try to find someone at a match who has one...

vongolden.net

Got You Covered
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Sep 15, 2009
    Denham Springs, La
    Yes it's very easy, just a hint you can get an EOTech 557 w/50.00 rebate & ebay bucks for 404.00 (ends in a few days) you cqan get another 50.00 for the g23 got mine for 404.00 as well!!
    cheap!
    good luck w/your new sight set-up!!

Narco

0-60 in 5.11
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 6, 2007
    New Orleans
    Yes it's very easy, just a hint you can get an EOTech 557 w/50.00 rebate & ebay bucks for 404.00 (ends in a few days) you cqan get another 50.00 for the g23 got mine for 404.00 as well!!
    cheap!
    good luck w/your new sight set-up!!

If you gonna spend. 400.00 on a dot.. you might as well go to 500.00 and get the Aimpoint.. all around a better optic... unless you like the ring.. IMHO.

Why less rail space used, and the battery life is x10000000000000 times longer... H-1 w/o nvg T-1 w/nvg

pmac81

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Gonzales
    If you gonna spend. 400.00 on a dot.. you might as well go to 500.00 and get the Aimpoint.. all around a better optic... unless you like the ring.. IMHO.

Why less rail space used, and the battery life is x10000000000000 times longer... H-1 w/o nvg T-1 w/nvg

Ive heard that about the aimpoints, or as some peoples might pronounce it aimpernts (<sorry, its late, Im tired, took some nyquil so mildly delusional), but I havent been able to shoot with one, so not sure if I would like it, the reason I got the eotech is a friend has one on his bushmaster and I shot it, liked it, got it, but I have heard how even when "off" eotechs continue to drain battery power for the circuits or something, and that is one reason why aimpoints last longer with batteries, to say the least it would seriously suck to be in a situation where the sight is needed just to realize that the batteries decided to crap out, typically in those situations you cant go "Time out, uh, dang, give me a few minutes to change out the batteries then we can get into our firefight, sorry"

vongolden.net

Got You Covered
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Sep 15, 2009
    Denham Springs, La
    hell of a rig there too

While the 3x is nice... if you need magnification, I would personal go with a Meopta or Burris Tactical 1x4. If you wish to still "shot the dot" you can easily attach a fastfire to the top..

http://www.burrisoptics.com/xtrtactical1.html

xtr1_04.jpg

I am going with similar set up for 3 Gun, but without the red dot on top.. Since I do not want to shoot open class, I am putting the JP VTAC Homie sight at 2' oclock on my rail..

Hell that's a hell of a nice rig there too!
    Nothing wrong with any of them, as there all bad to the bone!

vongolden.net

Got You Covered
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Sep 15, 2009
    Denham Springs, La
    how I was once told!

Ive heard that about the aimpoints, or as some peoples might pronounce it aimpernts (<sorry, its late, Im tired, took some nyquil so mildly delusional), but I havent been able to shoot with one, so not sure if I would like it, the reason I got the eotech is a friend has one on his bushmaster and I shot it, liked it, got it, but I have heard how even when "off" eotechs continue to drain battery power for the circuits or something, and that is one reason why aimpoints last longer with batteries, to say the least it would seriously suck to be in a situation where the sight is needed just to realize that the batteries decided to crap out, typically in those situations you cant go "Time out, uh, dang, give me a few minutes to change out the batteries then we can get into our firefight, sorry"

In high school I was asked by the teacher for a pernsel "pencel' with a pernt "point" on it! "long story" Then was told how to read out by the G.C. red r'aed, Jan. Jaunaries Feb. feduaries, "its da peoples maine, no bodies beez arguin on da down lows"
    I have no idea what I just said & neither does anyone who you might here talk that way!
    1 more thing!
    You all need to go to youtube & watch "Getto Delta" & laugh for a Sec. "Thats some funny Sh-t there"!
    "Beep Delta"
    Im about to hit the sack as well just no nyquil so im not mildly delusional!(Just Being Funny)
    Im just truly tired has hell!
    Working with the dogs all day in & out, In & out!

Last edited:

Narco

0-60 in 5.11
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 6, 2007
    New Orleans
    I just did a lot of research on flip rear sights...and it seems Troy, Midwest Industries and GG&G seem to be the top choices, in that order. Alot of people like the Magpul units, and alot of people hate them. :dunno:

Personally I'm sticking with standard front sights from now on. It wasn't fun at the range when my professionally installed, super fancy flip-up front sight gas block worked a screw loose and turned my AR into a single-shot rifle. Not saying they don't work for 99% of people, just saying I personally lost faith in them.

Troy's are very nice sights... A lot of top gun manufactures use them as a suplier for their, Larue, S&W, Spikes, just to name a few.. (they just put their logo on em)

I had the Troy MRF rail.. its heavy... I really prefer the DD Omega Lite, the balance of my rifle is very concentric. My opinion on flip ups are my own, since for what I use my rifle for they are exactly what BUIS do. Back Up sights.. I have used mine 1 time in 2 years that that was for a 340 yd shot at a match in which I couldn't get my Aimpoint to hit on..(thus I found the need to go with a 1x4 or a ACOG if I really want to compete)

I just can't justify spending 200 bucks on a set of flip ups that sit there and not in use 24/7. The polymer age has gave shooter viable cost effect options to equip their rifles with an alternative.

Narco

0-60 in 5.11
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 6, 2007
    New Orleans
    Hell that's a hell of a nice rig there too!
    Nothing wrong with any of them, as there all bad to the bone!

I really want to look through a meopta, as from a source not to be named... Their glass is just as good as nightforce.. Meopta is the leading manufacture in the medical field equipment... If it is good enough for labs to analyze cells on a slide, think of what the glass could do on a rifle...

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    Glass quality isn't the only thing to look for in the 1x4 scopes. Some of the reticles are too busy for my tastes. I'd take a Burris EuroDiamond over the XTR. The Millett DMS 1x4 has the "dot in a donut" reticle and for $200.00 its hard to beat. The old Simmons 1.5x5 ProDiamond shotgun scope has won it's share of matches and sold new for less than $100.00, but has been discontinued.

Top Bottom