Need suggestion on fair price for Ruger pistols...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bassicpackrat

Dopplebock Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2011
    Opelousas,LA 70570
    Okay I have an in-law who is looking to sell a few pistols ( 2 stainless Ruger Security Six 357 mag revolvers and an older Ruger Mark II .22 semi auto) and told me he really hasn't researched prices, said I could and then I could make a fair offer on them and we'd go from there. I haven't seen them in person(he's about 3 hours from here) but he send me a couple of small cellphone pics of them which ill post here and tell you what I do know. Hoping some of you guys can help me out in determining a decent fair ballpark figure for them(gunbroker seems overinflated right now )
    I don't want to take advantage of him(he is family now after all) but I also can't afford to pay close to top dollar either, just want to determine a range we might both be happy with.
    First up is a blued finish Ruger .22 ( I believe it is a Mark II with tapered barrel and fixed sights) it is in fairly used condition with some obvious finish issues( looks like rust spots or pits on upper in picture) not overly concerned with cosmetics if it is functionally sound if I can buy it cheap enough but need some suggestions. Here's the pic:
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365090424.695363.jpg

And secondly he also has a pair of stainless Ruger Security Six .357 mag revolvers, one still with original wood grips and the other with aftermarket rubber(pachmyer or hogue not sure) grips. According to him they are both in very nice condition. Here is a pic he sent me which shows the wood grip of one of them and the bottom of the 2nd one with the grips removed:
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365090669.011176.jpg
    Not sure of barrel length on any of the 3 pistols though to venture a guess the .22 is probably a 6 inch.
    Any help or suggestions that any of you can give on this would be most appreciated. Not sure which of these I might buy, it really depends on the prices I guess so suggestions on them priced individually would be great, thanks again !

Blackhawk

Blackhawk
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Pollock LA
    Ruger MK III pistols with the 5" bull barrel usually sell new for a little over $300, and less for a tapered barrel. This is a MK II and some would consider it more desirable (because of the lack of mag interlock and loaded round indicator) if not for the tapered barrel. I would guess, taking into account possible condition issues like rust/pits that the resale value would be in the $200-$250 range. Just a guess and haven't any info on the other pistols.

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    The Ruger looks like a MKl as the rear of the upper doesn't appear to be "cut back".
    Considering the rust spots I'd offer $250-300

Last edited:

Cheesy Lasagna

Sooooo Cheesy!
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Aug 20, 2011
    Kennah!
    Yeah, would concur that the Ruger is a shooter.
    $250 is about what it should bring.
    As for being functionally sound, those pistols are built like tanks.
    Overbuilt is not an exaggeration.
    As long as the bore is good there's not much else to worry about.
    I have a Standard model that I guarantee has over 50k rounds through it.
    It isn't a competition gun but still outshoots my ability.

bassicpackrat

Dopplebock Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2011
    Opelousas,LA 70570
    Thanks guys appreciate it! By the way went back and looked at the pictures better and the .22 does seem to be a MK I not a MK II does that affect the value any , + or - ?

Last edited:

Cheesy Lasagna

Sooooo Cheesy!
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Aug 20, 2011
    Kennah!
    Thanks guys appreciate it! By the way went back and looked at the pictures better and the .22 does seem to be a MK I not a MK II does that affect the value any , + or - ?

Not at all.
    If it were in perfect condition and had all boxes and literature, sure it'd be worth more.
    As-is it's a shooter and that's that.
    $250 would be a good friend payment, $200 if you just know him.
    (I've seen local gun shops pay $100 to $75 for similar condition pistols. Pawn shops *might* offer $40 or so.)

Kook

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    New Iberia
    Agree w/Leadfoot. Security Sixes could probably fetch $400+ if he advertised and time to wait, but I honestly think $300 is a fair price.

bassicpackrat

Dopplebock Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2011
    Opelousas,LA 70570
    Cool thanks everyone, I just got off the phone with him. I am gonna let my bro-in-law take first dibs on the .22 as he's been looking for one and I am going to see if i can make a deal and buy one of the stainless Security Six .357 mag revolvers from him, I get to shoot both and take my pick. Will be a few weeks before I can get it but looking forward to picking her up and expanding my Ruger stable...Gotta keep my pimp hand strong LOL!! ;)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    1bullseyebum
    Top Bottom