Need suggestions for a single shot 22

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • headshot

Mentally Hilarious
    Rating - 94.1%
    16   1   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    Gonzales LA
    I'm trying to get into coon hunting. I just got a couple redbone pups and it looks like I have to buy a gun to go along with them. LA law allows ONLY a single shot 22 for shooting coons at night. I need suggestions on a good rifle. I know H&R makes one but I can't think of anymore

headshot

Mentally Hilarious
    Rating - 94.1%
    16   1   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    Gonzales LA
    Is it legal to hunt coon with a .17HMR, great flat shooting round.
    At 100yds I can put all 5rds in a pop cap.

You can hunt them with anything during daylight hours. At night the reg book only list a 22 single shot.

BTW, I have taken out many with a 17hmr. A coon is the perfect size game for that round

Nail Gun

Blissfully Ignorant
    Rating - 97.4%
    38   1   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Slidell
    Don't laugh but if you want something inexpensive but accurate, get a youth-sized bolt like a Crickett. They have the advantage of being small and light in case you have to book it through brush. I got one to teach my kids to shoot but I've ended up enjoying it myself.

Renegade

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 1, 2010
    Red Stick
    Don't laugh but if you want something inexpensive but accurate, get a youth-sized bolt like a Crickett. They have the advantage of being small and light in case you have to book it through brush. I got one to teach my kids to shoot but I've ended up enjoying it myself.

+1 I have one of those, and that is a sweet little rifle!!!

GClifton

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    Chenal, La.
    In my younger days I used a remington 550-1. 22 auto. One single .22 round coming out of the barrel. Love the sound of those Blueticks, sweet memories .

If it is true that you have to have a single shot. I have a CZ452 with the single shot magazine, nice rifles or you can find an older gun at a pawn-shop, Remington 514 etc.

Last edited:

Globallyoff

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Worth, TX
    In my younger days I used a remington 550-1. 22 auto. One single .22 round coming out of the barrel. Love the sound of those Blueticks, sweet memories .

If it is true that you have to have a single shot. I have a CZ452 with the single shot magazine, nice rifles or you can find an older gun at a pawn-shop, Remington 514 etc.

+1 on the CZ. I have a 527 carbine in &.62X39, and it is just a great rifle. The .22s are famous for being great shooters.

Top Bottom