Need suggestions for AR build

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gambit

Mall Ninja
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Baton rouge, louisiana
    Im putting together a new AR-15 and would like yall's input on what hand guards you like. I'm going with a ranier arms 14.5 inch barrel and im looking for something free floated and customizable between 12 and 13 inches. All input is appreciated :)

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    I'd go with a light weight barrel made by DD or BCM and I'd surround it with a midwest industries or troy vtac alpha tube.

calcagno45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2014
    Gramercy, LA
    Midwest has a new SSK key mod rail that I've been eyeing down.

One advantage of key mod is saving weight if you have accessories that are direct key mod attachment, like the BCM vertical fore grip. Plus, you can use each key mod hole as a QD point.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    Yea i was thinkin about a daniel barrel but i gear ranier arms makes really good stuff. Also is keymod worth it or should i stick with regular bolt on

Everything I have on my rifle is directly mounted to the tube without the use of rails(other than my light at 12), and I would be very surprised if any similar keymod setup is lighter. I believe it is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist for anyone other than people who are constantly changing the configuration of their rifle. I think and am pretty certain DD makes rainer's barrels and Rainer marks them up for resale.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Just get a good rail, keymod is not a deal maker/breaker in my book. Every accessory you realistically need can be direct mounted to standard tubes (Troy, MI, etc) or keymod. Magpul also has their new MLok mounting system hitting the market which will probably kill keymod in the long run, which is the only reason I'd be hesitant to invest in any one magic mounting system.

Jasarii

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    Walker, LA
    Im putting together a new AR-15 and would like yall's input on what hand guards you like. I'm going with a ranier arms 14.5 inch barrel and im looking for something free floated and customizable between 12 and 13 inches. All input is appreciated :)

A key thing to consider is What is Your Budget for a handguard?
    Also, do you want Full length Quad rails on it? Or do you want more of a tube type hand guard that you can add short rails to for attachments?

A great budget hand guard is the USA made UTG Pro Super Slim rail...right at $100-110. I have a couple of these and they are quality hand guards.
    Also have a 13" Noveske NSR and love it...but paid much much more for it.

Harrisracing

Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    UTG pro is great. I run Nordic Component handguards as well and find them excellent value as well. If you are handy with a file, I'd suggest buying the longest single rail that nordic makes and cutting it into 3-4 pieces and reshaping. I did this on mine and have 4 rail sections for $33 as opposed to $24.00 each for the smallest ones.

Gambit

Mall Ninja
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Baton rouge, louisiana
    I just like the idea of raniers stainless barrels. Daniel defense makes good stuff but the ranier are supposed to be like super top of the line. (Not that i need a match grade barrel or anything i just wanna be fancy)

spec50trout

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Currently working on a build with an AP Customs carbon fiber hand guard. It's a light weight, modular, free float, just an idea. That said, I do like my Troy Alpha.

AR 15 Performance has some of the best barrel's going, IMO. Hybrid 5R rifling, melonite coated, Wylde chamber, and reasonably priced. Their superbolts are a nice addition as well. The 14.5 is currently in stock.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    I just like the idea of raniers stainless barrels. Daniel defense makes good stuff but the ranier are supposed to be like super top of the line. (Not that i need a match grade barrel or anything i just wanna be fancy)

Ranier doesn't actually "make" their barrels.

Gambit

Mall Ninja
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Baton rouge, louisiana
    Looked at ar15 performance. $200 shipped for their barrel is very nice i think i may go with that. As far as the rail i think im going with troy alpha rail. I like the look and feel of them.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spydy
    Top Bottom