Need suppressor advice:

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BeardedPatriot38

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2016
    New Iberia, Louisiana
    I currently do not own any suppressors. I'm in the market for a couple and have been researching for some time now. I figured before I pull the trigger and purchase, it might be helpful to get some advice from those of you who already own some.

1-What is the best dedicated .556 suppressor. I will not be bench shooting, it will be on a 10 inch Ar, so l want lightweight, short and obviously quiet.

2- Best dedicated 9mm can. This will be mainly used on semi auto only SMG type rifles and possibly a couple handguns.
    3- Best multi caliber can that will cover up 22LR to .30 cal.

Last question, speaking of multi-cal....
    Can I shoot 22LR and .556 through a good 9mm can? If that's possible I'm thinking I could do that, then get a good .30 cal can and I would be set? But I don't know.

Rounds I shoot most are 22LR, .556, 9mm, 7.62x39, 300 black, .308

Help me out. What do y'all think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daddy-O

Pally
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2015
    Wherever the party is
    2- Best dedicated 9mm can. This will be mainly used on semi auto only SMG type rifles and possibly a couple handguns.

I don't know that I'd call it "the best", per se, but I've been pleased with the AAC Ti-Rant 9 for this kind of roll. I run it on a Škorpion vz.61 SBR (almost exclusively), a Walther P99 (occasionally) and a mini Glock (rarely) and have been happy with the results.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    Rifle caliber suppressors, usually do not have a neilson device since the barrels are fixed, whereas the semi-auto pistols with tilting barrels will need one (though fixed barrel spacers are available for a bunch of cans). But that's something to think about. Also most pistol cans are not rated for rifle calibers and the ones that are will be very particular on what type (like sub sonic 300blk only).

If you NEVER plan to go 45acp, I would suggest the Octane HD in 9mm (and you can use this on your 22LR also). Its user serviceable, with stainless baffles which can handle lead projectiles.

Then I would pick up a 5.56 or 7.62 can.

US Infidel

TRUST NO ONE
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    Earth
    If I was just starting out again, I would start with a 30 cal rifle can and a .45 pistol can to cover most everything you will shoot. After that I would get a dedicated 22 can or any other dedicated caliber cans. You usually can shoot smaller calibers through a larger suppressor. I regularly shoot .22 with my Octaine .45, although I bought it mainly for my 9mm G17; I just wanted a lot of versatility with the can. It is a lot bigger than a .22 can, but every bit as quiet.
    Edit: Look into how versatile the can is; can you change mounts, pistons, fixed barrel spacer, change end caps. These things are expensive; if you can use a suppressor on multiple host, you can save a bunch of money. There's a lot to consider with suppressors, weigh all the options and go with what fits you best. Just a few of my thoughts.

Last edited:

lsufan1971

Rating - 100%
    121   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    Zachary,La
    What is the best dedicated .556 suppressor. I will not be bench shooting, it will be on a 10 inch Ar, so l want lightweight, short and obviously quiet.

I would get a Sliencerco Omega. It's a 30 caliber can but they have a 5.56 end cap. If you ever decide to go up to .30 cal you can. It's a great can on a 300 blackout. It only weighs about 14ozs and is probably one of the best rifle cans available. I like it so much I have 2.

Jmfox3

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    If I was just starting out again, I would start with a 30 cal rifle can and a .45 pistol can to cover most everything you will shoot. After that I would get a dedicated 22 can or any other dedicated caliber cans. You usually can shoot smaller calibers through a larger suppressor. I regularly shoot .22 with my Octaine .45, although I bought it mainly for my 9mm G17; I just wanted a lot of versatility with the can. It is a lot bigger than a .22 can, but every bit as quiet.
    Edit: Look into how versatile the can is; can you change mounts, pistons, fixed barrel spacer, change end caps. These things are expensive; if you can use a suppressor on multiple host, you can save a bunch of money. There's a lot to consider with suppressors, weigh all the options and go with what fits you best. Just a few of my thoughts.

What Infidel said. Supersonic ammo will not suppress as well as subsonic. The modern flash hider/compensator will allow moving a suppressor around from gun-to-gun. Meaning you could get adequate suppression from a 30 cal suppressor on 5.56 sonic ammo.

shrxfn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    SWLA
    I was faced with this same quandary and what I wound up doing was getting a SiCo Saker for my rifle calibers as this suppressor can handle the shorter barrel lengths for SBRs. I got a Spectre II for my rimfire needs. I also got an Octane 45HD. I have shot 45 and 9mm out of it and it is very ear friendly with both calibers even with the 9mmm out of the 45 end cap.

Slalom.45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    I appreciate the info you guys are giving as I am in the market for a first suppressor. My plan is go with a .30 cal can with caps to modify for 5.56. Mainly so I can shoot more where I live without overly annoying the neighbors, and possibly to set up a SBR .300 Blackout in the future.

I'm sure it's cool shooting suppressed pistols, but to me the biggest advantage of a pistol is portability/size and a suppressor would mess that up. (Not saying it wouldn't be fun though!)

US Infidel

TRUST NO ONE
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    Earth
    As shrxfn said above about SBR's, different manufacturers have minimum barrel lengths for various calibers for warranty. Another good thing to consider.

BeardedPatriot38

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2016
    New Iberia, Louisiana
    I would get a Sliencerco Omega. It's a 30 caliber can but they have a 5.56 end cap. If you ever decide to go up to .30 cal you can. It's a great can on a 300 blackout. It only weighs about 14ozs and is probably one of the best rifle cans available. I like it so much I have 2.

Hey guys, I really appreciate all the advice!

And it's funny you mentioned the Omega.
    That's actually the one I'm leaning towards for my first purchase. But then I watched a review on YouTube a while back by the military arms channel. They were reviewing a new "brace" for the sig mpx and it just so happened he had a Griffon Armament Optimus. The Optimus has the end caps as well 22/.556 and one for 9mm/.30 cal. I'm kinda leaning towards the Optimus. Does anyone have any experience with it?

BeardedPatriot38

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2016
    New Iberia, Louisiana
    7e5f4ddf8bdf0644c7abe9b98faad16b.jpg

Sulzer

Rating - 94.1%
    16   1   0
    Mar 20, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    If you're getting 3 supressors, personally I would get:

1. Omega to cover your 5.56 and .30 cal
    2. Rugged Obsidian for your pistols
    3. SilencerCo Sparrow or Dead Air Mask for your .22 needs.

Also, you mentioned with the 5.56 you wanted light weight, short and "obviously quiet". Just so you know, your 5.56 will be quieter, but if you're expecting hollywood quiet you will be disappointed. I shoot 5.56 through a 10.5 AR wearing a Specwar 556, which is one of the quietest 556 supressors. It is hearing safe, so you don't have to wear muffs but 130dB is far from unnoticeable to anyone around.

Kathy

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 4, 2012
    Southeast Arkansas
    Ended up getting 3 suppressors on Friday. Never taking my husband shopping again. First, Dead Air Mask(.22,five seven), 2nd, Sig 762 Ti QD(rifle 556,762,300 black out). Last one, Silencer Co Omega 9k( 9mm, mostly CZ Scorpion). He said they had them in stock and deadline almost here. He is still looking for Obsidian 45. That's what my husband a I decided on after researching. Not sure this helps but I hope it does.

Sulzer

Rating - 94.1%
    16   1   0
    Mar 20, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Ive seen 10 or more cores come apart from the outer housing

Are you referring to the outer sleeve coming unscrewed? I think this is part of the design so they can service them more efficiently in the even of a baffle strike since the outer tube is the serialized part. It's just a tube that covers the enclosed/welded baffle stack. I haven't seen it happen yet, but I know that it has happened to quite a few individuals. Personally, I would just re-rocksett the threads and screw it back on...good to go. Alternatively, you can send it to SilencerCo who will do it for you and have it back within a few days.

BeardedPatriot38

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2016
    New Iberia, Louisiana
    If you're getting 3 supressors, personally I would get:

1. Omega to cover your 5.56 and .30 cal
    2. Rugged Obsidian for your pistols
    3. SilencerCo Sparrow or Dead Air Mask for your .22 needs.

Also, you mentioned with the 5.56 you wanted light weight, short and "obviously quiet". Just so you know, your 5.56 will be quieter, but if you're expecting hollywood quiet you will be disappointed. I shoot 5.56 through a 10.5 AR wearing a Specwar 556, which is one of the quietest 556 supressors. It is hearing safe, so you don't have to wear muffs but 130dB is far from unnoticeable to anyone around.

Hey brother man,
    Thanks for the advice.
    Never heard of the Rugged Obsidian but I'm going to check them out.
    As for Hollywood quiet, I know there is no such thing, retired army here. Closest thing I have ever shot that was even close to Hollywood quiet was a integrally suppressed Mp5 and an old integrally suppressed sterling we came across in Iraq. Most of the cans I have used in the past have all been KAC. I know absolutely zero about all other brands. With that being said, out of all the cans out there, I'm looking for good quality, as lightweight as possible, along with being the quietest amongst the bunch.
    Thanks again!

BeardedPatriot38

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2016
    New Iberia, Louisiana
    Ended up getting 3 suppressors on Friday. Never taking my husband shopping again. First, Dead Air Mask(.22,five seven), 2nd, Sig 762 Ti QD(rifle 556,762,300 black out). Last one, Silencer Co Omega 9k( 9mm, mostly CZ Scorpion). He said they had them in stock and deadline almost here. He is still looking for Obsidian 45. That's what my husband a I decided on after researching. Not sure this helps but I hope it does.

It does help Kathy, thanks!

So has anyone had any experience with the
    Optimus. I posted a picture above. I'm kind of digging it. What do y'all think?

mxracer72

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 2, 2014
    Addis, LA
    1. First, buy a 30cal can for your 308, 556, 300blk, and other 7.62 needs. I personally chose the YHM Ultra Light Tactical 7.62 titanium for about $800.
    2. Second buy a .45 can, pick your flavor. No experience here.
    3. Third, buy a .22 dedicated (very small and lightweight) can if you still have funds leftover. I wouldn't.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    So has anyone had any experience with the
    Optimus. I posted a picture above. I'm kind of digging it. What do y'all think?

I took the plunge on an Optimus today after making the rounds of my local shops and finding the selection slim and pricing high. SilencerShop had Optimus back in Stock when I got home so I went for it.

9mm, 5.56, 300 blk and 308 cover all of my bases pretty much

Top Bottom