Need you to Learn me something Nwe M887 Tactical Issue

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Secret Squirrel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    BAFB
    Remmington M887 Pump Shotgun one day New, never fired.

Load all the shells, went to clear the weapon. First shell ejected great then started to get double/triple feeds resulting in jamming.

I am new to shotguns, 15 years USAF (rifles I know).

Please tell me it is user error, and learn me how to fix my ways.

I have tried five times with same results.

Disassembled magazine inspected .. twice same issue.

Suggestions, besides trade it for a Astro-2000 ray gun?

Thanks

Last edited:

03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville
    Are you making sure that you are cycling the pump all the way?

That's the only thing I got, good luck.

Last edited:

Secret Squirrel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    BAFB
    Roger that ... Right up to the point where I learned about "Slam Fire" possibility

I did keep the rifle pointed in a safe direction, however I am sure the landlord would not be happy with the addition of a new window in the house.

I did not clean off the factory oil yet ... just read the manual and was curious to how the shotgun magazine worked.

Too late to monkey with it tonight, so I'll post Friday night after it is cleaned and fired if the problem is still there.

Take care

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    I'd really suggest getting remington to replace it with an 870 tactical, or if you can talk them into it, an 870 police. Everything I've read on the 887 says double feeds, slam fires, bad coatings, etc.

Secret Squirrel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    BAFB
    Well I took the shotgun apart and cleaned/oiled it, then took it out into the woods to test fire.

First try - Pulled the trigger ... Boom, figured I was too slow on the Cycle ... maybe???

Second try - Loaded the shells and tried it again, Boom ... but now I am unable to move the slide to cycle the next round. Yanking it with all my might breaks it free.

Third try - Loaded the weapon, pulled the trigger Boom, cycled fast and two shells fly out. One empty and another live round. I look in through the ejection port and there is still one more live round ready to be chambered just hanging out like the third wheel on a date.

Fourth try - pick up the round off the ground clean it load the weapon again. Pull the trigger Boom, go to cycle and it is seized up again. So I yank and yank till it pops free.

Walk to the house defeated, so what do I do now? Hopefully Remington will have the answer?

More to follow

Secret Squirrel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    BAFB
    Spoke to Remington customer service, which was outstanding. They are sending a new trigger assembly to me, the weapon should not be double/triple feeding (the timing is off in the trigger assembly).

Some folks told me I need to cycle the weapon fater? Should not matter how slow you cycle the weapon, when you pull the pump back to eject the spent shell all your live rounds either spit out the ejection port, jam with double feed, or fall out the bottom. I don't care how fast you think you can cycle that weapon, you're not going to beat the .10 of a second it takes to spit out multiple shells under tension from the mag spring.

I'll update once I put in the new Trigger assembly ..

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    Any pump gun should be pretty reliable if you don't short stroke it. Even the Chinese seem to get it right. Remington is likely the problem as they are working with you.

Make sure you talk to Super Secret Squirrel while you are at it.

Isaac-1

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2011
    DeRidder LA
    It sounds to me like you may have more than one problem with the gun, it is possible the ejection problem is unrelated to the feed problem, I don't have an 887, so some of this is a guess. However it is known that newer 870 Express models often have problems with the chambers being rough causing extraction problems, this can be cleaned up with a polishing tip on a dremmel tool and some polishing compound, or just shooting a few boxes of shells.
    Ike

Secret Squirrel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    BAFB
    I received the following response from Remington Customer Service today:

"I have a new trigger plate assembly on the way to you. You should receive it within the next 7-10 days. Thank you again for your service, and I hope this new trigger plate assembly gets you up and running for good. If you ever need anything else, feel free to contact us, and we'll be glad to help any way we can."

Once I get the new trigger plate assembly I will take pics and compare the two side by side. Could be more than one issue, time will tell.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom