Needed Jon boat/flat boat experts.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • aguero83

shooting cause i can ...
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    slidell,la
    I purchased a old flat bottom Jon boat with the front end coming to a v. I can't seem to locate a serial number anywhere in or on the boat. It's pretty old. I've replaced the transom wood that was completely rotted away repainted it even picked up a vintage 1958 evinrude fleetwin 7.5hp. The boat is 15 1/2' long about 4ft wide aluminium rivited. Any info you can pass on in what to do and where to look. I can send pics. I really wanna take this boat out and be able to use it to fish/hunt in the Slidell area. It's my first boat other than a pirogue. Any help guys is greatly appreciated. I can email pics or point me in the right direction. Thanks again.

Cochise

is not here
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Calhoun
    The serial number on my old(very old) Jon boat is on the back, to the left of the engine near the top. I have seen others (newer) with the s/n on the top edge of the sides near the rear.

CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    I purchased a old flat bottom Jon boat with the front end coming to a v. I can't seem to locate a serial number anywhere in or on the boat. It's pretty old. I've replaced the transom wood that was completely rotted away repainted it even picked up a vintage 1958 evinrude fleetwin 7.5hp. The boat is 15 1/2' long about 4ft wide aluminium rivited. Any info you can pass on in what to do and where to look. I can send pics. I really wanna take this boat out and be able to use it to fish/hunt in the Slidell area. It's my first boat other than a pirogue. Any help guys is greatly appreciated. I can email pics or point me in the right direction. Thanks again.

On my aluminum boat my serial number was stamped on a plate that was nailed to the transom. The HIN number I found was stamped on the transom on the outside and to the upper right. Depending on how old your boat is it may not have an HIN stamped on it. I think it was after somewhere after 1974 or 1976 that the HIN was required on all boats.

hunter5567

Monolithic Mentor
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Oct 9, 2006
    Denham Springs, LA. near B.R.
    Call La. Wildlife and Fisheries in Baton Rouge and find out if you can get it registered if it has no identifying numbers on it. Maybe they can issue an number if you cannot find it.
    Otherwise you have what is known as a pond boat. If has any numbers on the hull and you do not know thye previous owner they will not give you this information and so SOL for registration purposes. A boat that was never registered may have a chance at registration.
    I'm guessing there was no identification on the transom that was replaced.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2009
    Baton Rouge, La
    Do you have any paperwork on it? My first boat was a '69 duracraft, very similar to what you've got most likely. It didn't have a HIN on it, but I was able to get it registered because I had the paperwork from the current registered owner. If you don't have paperwork you could maybe try to go the handmade/custom route. Good luck!

BIG1LOST

Displaced Montanan
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2009
    Pineville
    How weird!!!,,,my wife and kids just gave me for fathers day,an old Dura-craft jonboat with a pointed bow!!but no paperwork and no numberplate in any of the afore mentioned places.Got it about 5-6 hand from a corrections officer here near Pineville...who got no papers with it when he bought it...I want it as a row boat anyway,but no oarlocks or lock blocks!It is 14',20" deep,36"across the bottom and 56"gun'al to gun'al with rounded top rails.It is the HEAVIEST 14 I have EVER seen! Is there such a thing as a commercial grade of jonboats?:confused:

Last edited:

Moparman440

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    River Ridge, LA
    Like others have stated, it may pre-date HIN's or the HIN may have been on the wood of the transom, which has been replaced. Personally, I wouldn't worry about registration and such, but that's me.
    A '58 Fleetwin? Cool! Do you have a pressure tank for it?
    For any questions about the Fleetwin, an excellent site is aomci.org

Top Bottom