Needing AR gunsmith near Metairie

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ammac

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Metairie
    I have a Noveske lower and Vltor MUR upper. The fit is extremely tight. The fit is so tight I have to hammer the rear takedown pin in to lock up. The bigger problem I am having is mags don't want to easily lock up. I have to give a very firm slap on the bottom of a mag to get a positive click. I am not overloading the mags and have performed checks on all types of mags. I have done enough to know this is not a mag problem. I have always sought out a tight lock up, but now I am thinking a little slop might not be a bad thing. If this is something you are familiar with or can examine and help me fix, please shoot me a pm or email and let me know. Thanks very much.

Adam

amcconnell12 at mac.com

ammac

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Metairie
    R u using pmags?

Did u try it with 27 rds in the mag?

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Jason, I clearly stated in my post that I am NOT overloading my mags and have tried several different brands. No offense, but I didn't fall off the wagon yesterday! Please read the post before responding. Thanks

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Jason, I clearly stated in my post that I am NOT overloading my mags and have tried several different brands. No offense, but I didn't fall off the wagon yesterday! Please read the post before responding. Thanks

He didn't ask if you were OVERloading mags. He was suggesting trying UNDERloading mags to less than capacity. PMags are especially notorious for being difficult to insert on a closed bolt when loaded with 30rds, and others can be too.

Which raises the question, are the mags difficult to insert just on a closed bolt or when the bolt is locked to the rear as well? Are they rubbing in the magwell?

jasonj5313

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Dec 29, 2011
    Ponchatoula
    27 rounds in a 30 round mag= not overloading, but under loading.

30 rounds in a 30 round mag is normal.

31 rounds in a 30 round mag would be overloading.

You never Stated that you tried underloading the mag, but did mention you did not overload the mag. (Did I Miss that part)

Maybe next time in your Please Help thread you should attach a resume, being that you are an expert.

So to wrap it up, I was trying to ask if you have tried underloading the mags. In some case that will solve your issue. Most people don't know this and its an easy DIY check before you Pay someone to look at your rifle.

In your mag testing (which I hope was done in a nasa dust free enviornment, to be sure that contamination is not an issue) I am pretty sure you tried a gi mag?

Last edited:

toyoman7509

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2012
    slidell,la
    is the take down holes not lining up north and south or east and west. my friend had a delton that he had to file down the rear take down pin slot at the bottom to get it to fit nicely. if not tight there then where? also the tight fit could cause the mag issues. i say fix the tight fit first

Attachments

• Upper_s__19047_zoom.jpg
      Upper_s__19047_zoom.jpg
      19.5 KB · Views: 36
    Last edited:

ammac

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Metairie
    27 rounds in a 30 round mag= not overloading, but under loading.

30 rounds in a 30 round mag is normal.

31 rounds in a 30 round mag would be overloading.

You never Stated that you tried underloading the mag, but did mention you did not overload the mag. (Did I Miss that part)

Maybe next time in your Please Help thread you should attach a resume, being that you are an expert.

So to wrap it up, I was trying to ask if you have tried underloading the mags. In some case that will solve your issue. Most people don't know this and its an easy DIY check before you Pay someone to look at your rifle.

In your mag testing (which I hope was done in a nasa dust free enviornment, to be sure that contamination is not an issue) I am pretty sure you tried a gi mag?

Allright. My bad. By not overloading, I mean I only load 28 rounds into a 30 round mag. I am using Pmags and GI mags. The issue is only present when the bolt is closed. A locked back bolt allows the mag to snap in with no problems. It doesn't matter how many rounds are in the mag, if feels as though when the round in the mag presses against the bolt, there is too much tension and force required to move the mag into position to click into place. Please disregard my prior response as a know-it-all. I am getting pretty pissed that I can't get a rifle to run 100%. :dunno: I am at wits end.

jasonj5313

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Dec 29, 2011
    Ponchatoula
    I apologize as well
    . :beer:

I have seen your issue before, if you havent tried lancer Mags try that. (This has solved the issue before)

I have encounter this problem with my personal rifle, but it was 2 pmags and I swapped them out and no longer had an issue.

ammac

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Metairie
    It's been an extremely frustrating learning curve! I have sourced a Noveske upper and think I will swap out uppers and hope a Noveske upper/lower combo will resolve my issues. I think a MUR upper should sell pretty easy. We'll see. Thanks again and I will continue to try different mags.

jasonj5313

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Dec 29, 2011
    Ponchatoula
    Before you do that i would Buy a lancer mag. If I am not mistaken they were made to solve your problem.

Lancer Mags are usually cheaper than pmags.

Dont Buy a motor for your car because your water pump went out.

Top Bottom