Negative feedback protocol

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    So it is acceptable to cancel a sale or accept a higher offer up to the point you leave your house?

Honest question. I guess I just saw it as a deal at "ok".

I would say yes* with an asterisk. You talked to a guy who expressed interest but I don't see where a meeting was scheduled. A number of ads list "no holds" to address this issue. If you had set a day, time, and a place to meet, that may or may not be different. Even then, someone backing out of a meeting ("gotta work late" or "I decided against it") doesn't require negative feedback. If you have a tentative sale and someone offers more or can meet sooner, it's not bad to notify the initial person of the new offer and allow them the opportunity to counter. But I don't see where "Hey I want to buy it tomorrow" then "I can't meet because of work" would even be close to warrant negative feedback.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Oct 22, 2012
    So it is acceptable to cancel a sale or accept a higher offer up to the point you leave your house?

Honest question. I guess I just saw it as a deal at "ok".
    I'd argue that it's acceptable within reason. Up until the minute you leave your house may be a bit farfetched, but life happens and at the end of the day, it's not sold until the item and cash have passed hands.

My take - Absolutely not. If you agree to a price and a meeting, you should honor the deal. If not, I think neg feedback is warranted and I would REALLY have to want the piece, or want to get rid of the piece, to do business with a buyer/seller who had that in his feedback profile.

But, again, a buyer who waves it off during the process or says to not hold it because of scheduling, that's grey and probably worthy of a pass.
    Again, I think it's important to note that life happens. In the situation described, the unnamed party was very transparent that something happened and then that they needed to back out of the sale. If negative feedback were left for this for a member with consistently positive feedback, I'd be okay overriding and deleting the feedback.

There is a big difference between someone failing to meet up and someone communicating in advance that something happened and they aren't able to make it.

I don't think it's fair to try to hold folks to deals just because they said that they'll take it. Now canceling last minute is a different story. As long as there is consistent, transparent communication, I think it falls into the "it happens" bucket and you just need to move on to the next one.

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Oct 22, 2012
    I would say yes* with an asterisk. You talked to a guy who expressed interest but I don't see where a meeting was scheduled. A number of ads list "no holds" to address this issue. If you had set a day, time, and a place to meet, that may or may not be different. Even then, someone backing out of a meeting ("gotta work late" or "I decided against it") doesn't require negative feedback. If you have a tentative sale and someone offers more or can meet sooner, it's not bad to notify the initial person of the new offer and allow them the opportunity to counter. But I don't see where "Hey I want to buy it tomorrow" then "I can't meet because of work" would even be close to warrant negative feedback.
    I think this is a fair assessment of the situation.

I'll leave the thread open to give folks a chance to rebut if they so choose.

krotsman

Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Thanks for reopening this. I think it's a relevant and constructive discussion. Way more than many of the conversations we have on here! :dogkeke:

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Oct 22, 2012
    As far as using PMs for evidence, you can always go to a Mod and contest something like a malicious neg feedback.
    While we don't have access to PMs, you can report them and then we can see the thread.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    kjstang02
    Top Bottom