Network Attached Storage

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    OK I finally bit the bullet and bought one of these. It's also called a NAS. I got the Trendnet TS-S402, a cigar-box sized (8"x5"x5") box into which I snapped two Western Digital 2TB drives. The thing plugs into my router via an ethernet cable just like any other workstation, and it has a browser-based interface that lets you choose whether you want to see two 2TB drives (JBOD or "Just A Bunch Of Disks"), one 4TB drive (with data striped across the two drives), or a RAID1 configuration with one drive mirroring the other. The browser-based interface does all the work of configuring the drives into whatever you choose. I chose a 2TB mirrored RAID1 configuration for safety.

It couldn't have been easier to set up, and I carved a bunch of network shares out of it that my other workstations see just like any other shared drives.

In the end it cost about $600. $250 for the box and $150 each for the 2TB drives. And shipping and my time to set it up. For that I got effectively unlimited storage for movies, photos, music, my websites, etc. Wow.

I recommend this NAS very highly for price, ease of configuration, and access speed.

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    Running two seagate 1 gigs nas with usb external support and network and internet access..

I watch vids at work that I have here via port 80 internet :)

lsufan1971

Rating - 100%
    121   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    Zachary,La
    We just bought a Dell Powervault NX 300 NAS at my office. Pretty nice. Was at a client site Thursday and they had 2 brand new 7TB Dell Equalogic SAN's total badass!! 60K each

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    Well, 60K is a bit pricey for the consumer market, but I'd be happy to have 7TB :)

If anyone wants to get into mirrored drives though, this setup is ****. Right now 1TB drives are about $100, so you could get into a NAS for about $450 if you were happy with 1TB. Mirroring your data provides a tremendous level of comfort - specially if you run your power through a UPS. That way you're safe from power spikes and drive failures. The only thing you're not safe from is human error.

Suburbazine

01001000 01101001 0011111
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I've got 12TB /2 on my local server, and another 2TB offsite for disaster recovery.

I've only used 3TB total :silly: and most of that is TiVo recordings.

Last edited:

SKYWLKR

bread and circuses
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Feb 26, 2007
    NAS is good stuff, I use it for small companies and home users that need the space or back up. I also install it when ever I cant get a client that really needs a server with dedicated backup and storage that wont drop the bucks.

Pay me now or pay me later....

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    redundant storage is EXTREMELY important. i have several NAS boxes, but my favorite is my ReadyNas NV+. it has a RAID5 array on there now. but i've also have had Buffalo Linkstations and a Kuro Box, as well as built a few from old XBOX's (the original, not 360). those weren't redundant. there are many reasons to have Centralized Storage as well as redundancy and i won't go through that. but how's the read/write speeds w/ your Trendnet box? i think i want something faster for mine, thinking about purchasing a Netgear Pro, i can always built my own as well, but i don't think i can get it as compact as they can.

El Rubio

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Ponchatoula

or supply voltage surge.

You probably realize this but some may not. Your off site storage is still in the same location and is subject to dangerous surges. A power strip with a MOV inside isn't going to go very far and just like a fire, a surge could ruin everything plugged in.

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    A NAS isn't off-site, but you're right about the surges. I bought a couple CyberPower uninteruptable power supplies with suppressors built in and software to show the condition of the units. Also a generator to back up the UPSs. It's also not a bad idea to have real off-site backups, but the only way I've found to do so is removing a drive in a RAID array, and replacing it with a new one, so the removed drive is a backup.

lsufan1971

Rating - 100%
    121   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    Zachary,La
    It's also not a bad idea to have real off-site backups, but the only way I've found to do so is removing a drive in a RAID array, and replacing it with a new one, so the removed drive is a backup.

There are many ways to do offsite backups. There are several company's that offer off site servies for next to nothing. Carbonite is one. they charge 54.95 a year per machine unlimited space. You can also setup your own FTP site somewhere and do incremental backups at night (this is how we backup our company's source code). There is very inexpensive backup software called tK8 that will do incremental and move to an FTP once it's done locally.http://www.tk8.com/

Top Bottom