Never again...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    If anybody wants a Bill of Sale like the one the OP posted , PLEASE be courteous enough to warn the other party prior to meeting up . It might save somebody a wasted trip .

Bangswitch

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2019
    a location near you
    Ok someone help me understand. I don’t necessarily need a BOS if I sell you a gun but why would I specifically not want one? Generally the buyers prefer no BOS if anyone specifically wants to not have one. Also how would this infringe on anyone?

krotsman

Rating - 100%
    105   0   0
    Aug 2, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Yeah, I have no clue on whether an attorney can legally notarize documents that they are a party of. Hell, the document might even not have been notarized.

You can't notarize your own sig. Shouldn't notarize the sig of the other person if you are a party in the transaction, but not sure if that's technically prohibited.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Here’s my thing, I have no problem signing a BOS that simply states I’m selling and you’re buying. When the BOS starts listing things I’m singing for it makes me think someone is setting you up for a nightmare down the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    For example. Why list the third item then list the last item. It’s just seems like a lot of future problems.
    4083a7ccffcb4b105c5ddc85c64ec485.jpg

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Anderson makes custom rifles now? Neat.

Nice, you’re throwing the line out there to see if ole magdump will bite. He hasn’t bit so might want to change bait.

Last edited:

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    So I've read this entire thread and don't see where Magpump said he did or did not actually sign it.

He said he would never sell another gun to an attorney, so that could imply he has sold to attorneys in the past, but not a direct indicator that he did in fact sign the documents.

Sucks to be any attorney who might miss out on those sweet deals.

Still no bite?

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Nice, you’re throwing the line out there to see if ole magdump will bite. He hasn’t bit so might want to change bait.

The attorney made that, not Magdump, so I don't see why you think it's bait.

Xenon

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jul 30, 2010
    Metairie
    I have no problem whatsoever with a bill of sale, but required inclusion of a notary is not something I want to be a part of in a FTF. Nor the warranties & representations that are expressed beyond the legal requirements of purchase or sale (as MOTOR51 points out).

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    Yeah, I have no clue on whether an attorney can legally notarize documents that they are a party of. Hell, the document might even not have been notarized.

I hear copious amounts of tin-foil helps to prevent paper cuts, among other common problems faced by the masses.

LOL, I doubt I fit into any particular demographic enough to identify with anyone in the mass..

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    The attorney made that, not Magdump, so I don't see why you think it's bait.

Yep, you are correct. If the firearm has a Anderson lower and a different made upper in whatever configuration Magpul used, then I guess technically it’s a custom. I Guess any assembled non factory complete rifle is a custom

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    For example. Why list the third item then list the last item. It’s just seems like a lot of future problems.
    4083a7ccffcb4b105c5ddc85c64ec485.jpg

Motor, I’ve decided you’re about the smartest person in this thread, or at least neck and neck with McFarland who’s sentiment I share. And I’m not concerned with the person I won’t name who I guess made a weak attempt and can’t even spell Magdump correctly. Again, I don’t see his posts unless someone quotes them.
    Anyway, let me explain more of the situation. This guy, the buyer in question (not a member here), met with me twice and eventually bought the firearm, couldn’t make up his mind on payment and decided to pay part cash and mostly PayPal on site, had with him a single page BOS which we both signed (copy each) and I suggested DL photos because of how I record my transactions, to which he agreed.
    He also asked me to install a binary trigger that he provided, which I did. Here nor there. Fast forward to a week after the sale, he sends a text to say that I signed in the wrong spot on the original BOS and he was emailing another to me to sign and to please send back. I didn’t ask any questions but said I’d look for the email. I knew I’d signed the correct line on both copies and decided something irregular was afoot. And after receiving the PDF via email I printed it and my suspicions were confirmed. I would hope that any reasonable person receiving this 3 page Bunch Of S4it would not blindly sign it after reading it and considering how it came into being, but it appears a couple folks here would have no problem with that.
    And that’s that. I haven’t signed or returned the BOS and don’t plan to. I’m sure he will contact me sooner or later and I’ll tell him that I have no plans to sign anything else and that I don’t feel comfortable signing something of this caliber that’s not factual, after the fact and not in front of any witness or notary. I hope nobody here has to ask what I mean or why.

Last edited:

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    Motor, I’ve decided you’re about the smartest person in this thread, or at least neck and neck with McFarland who’s sentiment I share. And I’m not concerned with the person I won’t name who I guess made a weak attempt and can’t even spell Magdump correctly. Again, I don’t see his posts unless someone quotes them.
    Anyway, let me explain more of the situation. This guy, the buyer in question (not a member here), met with me twice and eventually bought the firearm, couldn’t make up his mind on payment and decided to pay part cash and mostly PayPal on site, had with him a single page BOS which we both signed (copy each) and I suggested DL photos because of how I record my transactions, to which he agreed.
    He also asked me to install a binary trigger that he provided, which I did. Here nor there. Fast forward to a week after the sale, he sends a text to say that I signed in the wrong spot on the original BOS and he was emailing another to me to sign and to please send back. I didn’t ask any questions but said I’d look for the email. I knew I’d signed the correct line on both copies and decided something irregular was afoot. And after receiving the PDF via email I printed it and my suspicions were confirmed. I would hope that any reasonable person receiving this 3 page Bunch Of S4it would not blindly sign it after reading it and considering how it came into being, but it appears a couple folks here would have no problem with that.
    And that’s that. I haven’t signed or returned the BOS and don’t plan to. I’m sure he will contact me sooner or later and I’ll tell him that I have no plans to sign anything else and that I don’t feel comfortable signing something of this caliber that’s not factual, after the fact and not in front of any witness or notary. I hope nobody here has to ask what I mean or why.

Well that just adds to the the suspicion of problems later down the road LOL

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0

That's right up there with a used car dealer asking me to sign a blank BOS on a car I had already sold and collected the coin...He could put any make and model of any hot car he had out back...and sell it

I politely walked away.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Considering a person buying a firearm from a dealer or through a FFL doesn’t even have to look at or sign 3 pages of nonsense and what is required doesn’t have to be notarized, the fact that someone throwing out this sort of crap on a private sale was, in effect, an insult to me. Had he presented this at the sale I’d have politely packed up my rifle and asked him where I could mail the trigger and safety and been on my merry way.
    The original bill of sale was a generic firearms BOS he printed from an online site and was about the most involved BOS I’ve ever signed during the private sale of anything, but it was a single page and did not mention anything as to liability or confirmation of any info except buyer, seller, date of sale, selling price and information on the firearm. That and exchange of DL is all I will ever consent to during a private sale. I’m not attempting to speak for anyone else here or coerce or shame or offend. It’s definitely a personal choice as to how far anyone chooses to follow and where they draw the line, even if for the simple matter of inconvenience.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    If everyone is on board for this type of paperwork, why not just push to get rid of private sells, and meet at an FFL and let them do the transaction?

thperez1972

ESSAYONS
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 28, 2015
    Baton Rouge, LA
    If everyone is on board for this type of paperwork, why not just push to get rid of private sells, and meet at an FFL and let them do the transaction?

Because private sales are not recorded in a log book that is subject to governmental inspections.

Top Bottom