never knew my grandfather owned a butcher shop

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mr. frog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2013
    Vi-Lou
    IMG_20140405_062850_zps5d831090.jpg

found this old mauser with a handle/scopemount welded on the action, the barrel was shortened and shabally recrowned, the bolt handle was grinded on and welded on, and the stock wasn't original for sure. hopefully i can save the barrel... it's kindof rusty in there

Goatwhiskers

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You might give some thought to scrapping that thing. Welding on the receiver, especially the front ring, is a particularly bad idea as it destroys the heat treat which leads to all sorts of problems. Novel idea to put on a carry handle, never saw one before, but it should have been attached by screws. Not bad mouthing your grandpa, but that is basically a Bubba'd piece of junk. GW

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Goat! That was his grandfather's! OP, Get a gunsmith to re-heat treat the front ring and re-crown it. When its a family heirloom you do things that you would not do to a pawn shop special. If you don't want to spend the money then plug the chamber with a chunk of lead so that no one shoots it and make it a wall hanger. You can always melt the lead out if you change your mind.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Ehhh, Wrong ! Did you not note the bullet casting handles on the top right ? Someone at this location knows how to melt lead, Now a steel rod down the barrel ? You have something !

Goat! That was his grandfather's! OP, Get a gunsmith to re-heat treat the front ring and re-crown it. When its a family heirloom you do things that you would not do to a pawn shop special. If you don't want to spend the money then plug the chamber with a chunk of lead so that no one shoots it and make it a wall hanger. You can always melt the lead out if you change your mind.

mr. frog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2013
    Vi-Lou
    i seriously don't doubt grand dad's intelligence. he was on the cover of fortune magazine once :). i've found some of the 7mm reload data in his books and plenty of spent 7mm cases that showed some signs of headspace issues. i'm pretty sure this was his project/practice gun from days of yore. i do think the barrel can be saved. not the action. probably not the bolt either.... but the barrel isn't in that bad of shape considering... even if i have to bore it out a little. anybody gotta good scope?

Top Bottom