New and learning.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DonH

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2013
    Mandeville, LA
    Please bare with me as I am new - 5 weeks - of being a serious gun person. I'm 66 years old and do not like the direction our country has taken and have decided to thoroughly arm my wife and myself. I own a S&W 5" nickel plated Model 27 revolver that I bought October 1973 for $140.00. The gun is in its original box and has been sitting in my end table next to my bed for nearly all that time. I was considering selling it to buy a more modern S&W until a friend who owns about 90 guns told me he would personally shoot me if I sold it, that I had no idea of its present value. After researching on the web I discovered that he knows what he's talking about.
    My wife recently took the police course and decided she wants to take up shooting as a hobby, so I'm going to join her. In about a month we're both going to take the concealed weapons course.
    I also recently bought a Mossberg 500 20" 12 gauge shotgun and am considering an AR15. I have spent an enormous amount of time - My wife told me I'm become obsessed - on the Internet researching guns, ammo, ballistics, etc., so I now have some knowledge of the subject, but recently learned I don't know as much as I would like. I bought 4 boxes of Buffalo Bore ammo - quite expensive - only to have my wife's new S&W 686+ jam on the initial round of bullets. The employee at the gun range freed the bullet and told me that 38 Super ammo is for semiautomatic pistols, not revolvers. I had bought 2 boxes of the Super and was quite disappointed because Buffalo Bore's website spends lots of space bragging about how great their ammo is and showing the results of ballistic tests, but mentions nothing about their Super 38 bullets not being suitable for revolvers. How difficult would it be for the owner to add a line to his advertisement of his Super bullets stating something like, "For semiautomatic pistols only." And he's not the only dubious manufacturer. At Academy Sports a couple of weeks ago I found boxes of Winchester's Winlite Sabot shotgun slugs. I learned through my extensive research that there is a difference between smooth and rifled bore shotguns, so I read the entire contents of the outside of the box 3 times looking for any reference to this; there is none. So I bought 2 boxes at $12.00 per. When I got home I perused the Internet about the Sabot slugs and found a forum where someone said that these slugs are not for smooth rifled shotguns. So I sent an inquiry to Winchester who verified that they are really made for rifled bores and are inaccurate in smooth bore shotguns. I would think today's manufacturers of ammo are making so much money that they wouldn't feel the need to engage in what I consider deceptive advertising to sell even more of their products. How can a reasonable person be expected to know the difference in all of the different ammo being produced today.
    That being said, I am immensely enjoying learning about guns, ballistics, ammo, etc., and hope that you will be a bit understanding if and when I ask a plumb stupid question.
    Thanks,
    Don

spec50trout

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2012
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Hello, Don. Your model 27 sounds like a real peach.

Shotgun slugs can be confusing. Rifled for smooth bore and sabot for rifled barrel.

Guns+ ammo+ internet= incurable disease. I'm afraid your wife is right.

Booseman

In Vino Veritas
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Lake Charles
    Welcome aboard and feel free to ask all the questions that you want. There is a wealth of information already on this site and a ton of people who can answer your other questions. If you have a question that you think may be already answered use the search function. You can go advanced and search the site really well.

An AR is a great addition to any person's personal collection. It is very accurate, light and easy to learn and manipulate. There are a ton and I mean a ton of accessories for the AR platform. Best advice, budget allowing, buy once cry once.

It is always great to see new people wanting knowledge.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cajuntiger84
    Top Bottom