New AR Power Rail System:

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Great concept but the technology just ain't there yet. And they're gonna play hell getting any decent manufacturers (optics, lighting, etc) to develop products for a yet unstandardized system.

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    Great concept but the technology just ain't there yet. And they're gonna play hell getting any decent manufacturers (optics, lighting, etc) to develop products for a yet unstandardized system.

Agreed that they will have trouble getting manufacturers on board, but why isn't the technology there yet?

Possible drawbacks that I can see are:

You are relegated to one buttstock and too many people are too picky when it comes to furniture.

The button panel seems complicated. I don't like it. I'd rather just have the power switch on the light itself. Perhaps it would come in handy though if you were running IR Illuminators and IR Lasers.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Agreed that they will have trouble getting manufacturers on board, but why isn't the technology there yet?

You are relegated to one buttstock and too many people are too picky when it comes to furniture.

The button panel seems complicated. I don't like it. I'd rather just have the power switch on the light itself. Perhaps it would come in handy though if you were running IR Illuminators and IR Lasers.

Because batteries are still too big and there's still wires and **** hanging out everywhere. Imagine that one little plug gets popped out in the field, now the soldier just lost his optic, light, and laser all in one whack.

I'm glad to see the concept picking up steam though, because that's how progress is made. I think in another 10 years the technology will be there and weapons will be designed around powered rails.

Suburbazine

01001000 01101001 0011111
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA

It's not designed with you in mind. It's designed to be accepted by the Armed Forces, which automatically makes it a standardized accessory and everyone will adapt for it. Honestly I think this is a terrific idea for those people that run powered scopes and lights.

Plus that method of changing batteries on the fly beats the hell out of any other change method for a powered accessory, unless you duct-taped a Dewalt flashlight to the rail.

swamper

Curmudgeon in Training
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 30, 2008
    Pineville
    I haven't really read that much or watched anything on it. It's Friday, my brain is fried, and i'm tuckered out. Do they address how they're gonna keep water from mucking up the works? Durability so that the live parts don't get exposed through normal (and abnormal) wear and tear?

MikeM

ThatGuyMikeM
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 31, 2011
    Hammond, LA
    I haven't really read that much or watched anything on it. It's Friday, my brain is fried, and i'm tuckered out. Do they address how they're gonna keep water from mucking up the works? Durability so that the live parts don't get exposed through normal (and abnormal) wear and tear?

This would be my concern.

Suburbazine

01001000 01101001 0011111
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA

It's submersible to 60', fully sealed system so mud/dirt etc don't foul the works. Now if you're doing accessory changes in a mud pit, you might have issues.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    MrPantz
    Top Bottom