New Civil Engineering graduate looking for work

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • goosecreeper

not newbie
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Metairie
    I will be graduating in July from UNO with a BSCE i passed the F.E. in April and will be a registered E.I. upon graduation. I am currently working at a local
    area firm but due to the economy they cannot take me on full time. If anyone in the community could help that would be great. I have six years experience with two engineering firms on located in Metairie and one in Lafayette. I can email a resume and references .

my email is khahn60@hotmail.com

Thanks in advance,
    Kevin

jimdana1942

oldtimer
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Sulphur, La.
    Good luck man. You have put in the time and effort to succeed in life and I hope it will soon all work out for you.

The best to you in your career.

jmeng

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I will be graduating in July from UNO with a BSCE i passed the F.E. in April and will be a registered E.I. upon graduation. I am currently working at a local
    area firm but due to the economy they cannot take me on full time. If anyone in the community could help that would be great. I have six years experience with two engineering firms on located in Metairie and one in Lafayette. I can email a resume and references .

Thanks in advance,
    Kevin

Most firms have tons of work right now and are looking for good people. I'd start cold calling everyone you can find. Willbros, Shaw, Jacobs, ENGLobal, Hargrove, etc. There was a thread a while back with a good list.

Btl_Rkt_Sci

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011
    Most application handling for larger companies is done through web sites these days. RAID THOSE SUCKERS! Also look at construction companies. Even though it won't be your expertise, companies in chemical sales and plant services will often hire engineers if you get to a point where you just need a job. Some plants are even big enough that they hire CEs on staff.

You are willing to move for work, I assume?

If you go to the career services website for LSU and find out when their job fair is, you can probably infiltrate the fair but explain to the companies you speak with that you aren't a student and if they wish to interview you it would have to be set up independent of LSU's career senter. This may work for other larger schools closer to you also.

Best of luck!

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    Try to avoid the website application systems. Their entire purpose is to prevent qualified people from reaching those who need them. In about 15 years of dealing with them I have never once gotten a human being to view an application. Use Facebook and LinkedIn to identify people within the organizations for which you want to work, and target them directly. Human resources departments are the worst cock-ups I have ever encountered.

Oh, don't forget the Corps of Engineers. I worked as a consultant for them for the past seven years, and they're a good group of people who do good work. My wife has been with them for eight years as a civil engineer, and she pulls down 6 figures.

Last edited:

dougstump

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    x
    Also try the municipal government for larger cities. I work in the engineering department and we have several CE’s here. Don’t know of any openings, unfortunately.

Btl_Rkt_Sci

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011
    Try to avoid the website application systems. Their entire purpose is to prevent qualified people from reaching those who need them. In about 15 years of dealing with them I have never once gotten a human being to view an application. Use Facebook and LinkedIn to identify people within the organizations for which you want to work, and target them directly. Human resources departments are the worst cock-ups I have ever encountered.

Oh, don't forget the Corps of Engineers. I worked as a consultant for them for the past seven years, and they're a good group of people who do good work. My wife has been with them for eight years as a civil engineer, and she pulls down 6 figures.

Not that seeking people directly isn't a good approach, but I have gotten jobs with Dow and Williams solely by applying online as well as interviews with BASF and Honeywell. I **** you not. Maybe some companies use the online application systems much more than others. Actually taking the time to tailor my resume to the job listing and write a cover letter probably didn't hurt.

returningliberty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Hammond, LA
    Jindal didn't get all he wanted this session and will be back next session to screw the State worker over even more!
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340312380.034648.jpg

To OP:
    I just got a email from school saying Marathon Oil is looking for all types of engineers. Must be willing to relocate. I'm assuming that means go to Houston since their headquarters are there.

dawg23

Resident Dimwit
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 17, 2006
    Baton Rouge

If you're willing to relocate to BR, send me a PM -- may be able to help.
    I presume you know Dr. Mattei ?

Top Bottom