New Colt 1991 Series 1911A1 - Opinions?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Toby

bah
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2007
    CocoDrie Ferry
    I'm looking into buying my first 1911. I am more of a traditionalist, though my experience w/ handguns is fairly limited. I found a Colt 1991 Series 1911 in my local gun shop. Picked it up, handled it, and it felt Gooooood. I like the feel of it, and although the price was a tad more than I expected ($739) it seemed to be in the ballpark of recent prices.

What I am seeking is opinions of 1911's. What platform is nice to start from. I do not know what mods I would like just yet. I want to get the feel of the gun for a while before I get into modifying anything.

Please offer up some recommendations of brand, mods, or thougths in general.
    Thanks in advance
    -Tob

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    If you want to own a Colt 1911 because its a Colt 1911 then what you found may be the ticket. If you want to own a 1911 to shoot and eventually send off to a Gun Plumber to be converted into Thor's Hammer, I think you'd be better off with a Springfield Mil-Spec. I look at a lot of 1911s from High End Custom House Guns to regular production pieces because they are a hobby of mine. The pistol I hear the vast majority of smiths recommend for use as a base gun is the Springer Mil-Spec. In fact I am looking for a cheap one noe to use for a new gun I want to have a magician build me.

Toby

bah
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2007
    CocoDrie Ferry
    Nah, I'm not locked into a Colt. A Colt is the one which got me interested in a 45 though. Now I'm just trying to narrow my list, or, get a list, then narrow it.

I'm a lurker at ar15.com, and will continue looking through their 1911 threads. The information can only help me in the long run.

Thanks for the input VG

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    I would look at the Louder Than Words Forum and the 10-8 Forums. Hilton Yam (10-8) knows as much about the 1911 platform as anybody and he has some good information stickied in his "Custom 1911" Forum. Although I here Colt has turned a corner I'll personally never forgive them for the late 80's and 90's when they charged full price for seconds in the form of "Big Hole Uppers" and gave us 1911 pistols that weren't even true to their own spec. To me the pony has lost its panache. How much you want to spend?

Ske1etor

BOOM! LEGSHOT!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 30, 2008
    Chacahoula, Louisiana
    I would look at the Louder Than Words Forum and the 10-8 Forums. Hilton Yam (10-8) knows as much about the 1911 platform as anybody and he has some good information stickied in his "Custom 1911" Forum. Although I here Colt has turned a corner I'll personally never forgive them for the late 80's and 90's when they charged full price for seconds in the form of "Big Hole Uppers" and gave us 1911 pistols that weren't even true to their own spec. To me the pony has lost its panache. How much you want to spend?

I wouldn't waste my time on the 10-8 forum. If you want real information, not some biased crap visit http://forums.1911forum.com/

Ske1etor

BOOM! LEGSHOT!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 30, 2008
    Chacahoula, Louisiana
    If you are looking for a original spec 1911 look no further than the Springfield Armory GI. (No, they weren't building them during the war, and yes, they build them better than Colt.)

If I were you though, I would move up one level to the Springfield Armory Mil-Spec. It has a few upgrades that help from the get-go. For instance, Lowered and Flared Ejection Port. This is normally regarded as the most important upgrade for any 1911. The Mil-Spec also has a polished feed ramp, throated barrel, beveled magazine well and high profile 3-dot sights whereas the GI does not.

Any further on up the ladder and you stop looking at GI style 1911's and start looking into more custom types like the Springfield Loaded (Not actually custom anymore, but built with parts that used to be only available on custom builds such as beavertail grip safeties, front slide serrations, skeletonized hammers and trigger, ambi thumb safeties and dovetail front sights.)

I personally have a Kimber and will tell you that I am more than happy with it but their bottom of the line offering (Custom II) matches the Springfield Loaded model in "Custom" accessories from the factory.

If you stick with Springfield you will not be disappointed.

Toby

bah
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2007
    CocoDrie Ferry
    Thanks for the input guys. I think I'm going to pass on the Colt 1991, and keep looking. I tried Songy's and Academy, but did not find a single Springfield. I'll take a look/feel at the next gun show.
    -Tob

cajun 22

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Houma, LA
    Try Houma Auto Parts. They stock the springfield models. I have a colt 70 series and had to do some mods to get it 100 %. mainly the ones described as factory on the milspec. But it only cost $150.00. My shooting buddy has the springfield and I must say it feels and shoots as good as my colt, for about $250 less. You will not be sorry with the springfield as it would be my choice for my next 1911 purchase.

Toby

bah
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2007
    CocoDrie Ferry
    Try Houma Auto Parts. They stock the springfield models. I have a colt 70 series and had to do some mods to get it 100 %. mainly the ones described as factory on the milspec. But it only cost $150.00. My shooting buddy has the springfield and I must say it feels and shoots as good as my colt, for about $250 less. You will not be sorry with the springfield as it would be my choice for my next 1911 purchase.

Houma Auto Parts hasn't had a Springfield 1911 for awhile, I've been checking for a few weeks. I've bought several guns with John, he's treated me fairly over the years, and doesn't mind answering many of the questions I offer up.

swagge1

Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I want to buy a Springfield 1911 next year. I don't care for the Mil-specs and I don't understand the significant differences between the Operator, Loaded, and TRP models. Maybe its becuase I really don't have much knowledge of 1911's.

Auto426

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 7, 2008
    Houma, LA
    Houma Auto Parts hasn't had a Springfield 1911 for awhile, I've been checking for a few weeks. I've bought several guns with John, he's treated me fairly over the years, and doesn't mind answering many of the questions I offer up.

Springfield 1911's are in high demand everywhere. They are getting hard to find

I had wanted a 1911 for sometime, ever since I got into shooting a little over 2 years ago. A couple of months ago, I decided on getting a Springfield GI. I wanted something original, and the Springfield fit the bill nicely. It's a well built gun, Sprindfield has great customer service, and the price is hard to argue with.

I called Houma Auto to see if they could get one for me, but they told me that they hadn't had any in over a year, and that they didn't know if they were ever going to get any.

What I ended up doing was ordering from Buds (Budsgunshop.com). It's a large gun dealer in Kentucky, and they have great prices. He had GI's in stock for a little over $510, with shipping included. I ordered one, and selected Houma Auto to do the FFL transfer. They charge a $30 fee for transfers and where happy to do it.

If you can't find it around Houma, I really recommend Buds. They have great prices, and you don't have to pay sales tax since it's an online order.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2010
    fort polk area
    Springfield mil-spec and gi models are good choices for bulid guns, but i perfer the colts. i have had more than one springfield and colt 1911 and one i no better than the other. Yes, colts back in the day where less than great and if you get one it would be wise to send it to a smith and have some work done to it.The newer 1991 series do come with plastic mainsprings and triggers, but they work and had a bit less weight to the gun. The big problem with colt guns are sellers and dealers want new or collector prices, a used 1991 series should be about $550, new ones go about $750. One of the biggest things that put the price a bit higher on Colts are the blued finish with the polished sides. Springfield doesnt offer any guns in blued, unless special order, they come in parkerizing or stianless steel. With any gun, especially the 1911, you need to put about 200-300 rounds through it. the first mil-spec i had jammed almost every round for the first 20-30 rounds i put through it. After about 150 rounds the gun ran fine. As for colt guns, almost every custom website shows a colt,or more colts than springfields. I like both If you are looking for a good 1911, the new remington is a great basic 1911 for the money, about $650 new.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    If you are looking for a original spec 1911 look no further than the Springfield Armory GI. (No, they weren't building them during the war, and yes, they build them better than Colt.)

If I were you though, I would move up one level to the Springfield Armory Mil-Spec. It has a few upgrades that help from the get-go. For instance, Lowered and Flared Ejection Port. This is normally regarded as the most important upgrade for any 1911. The Mil-Spec also has a polished feed ramp, throated barrel, beveled magazine well and high profile 3-dot sights whereas the GI does not.

Any further on up the ladder and you stop looking at GI style 1911's and start looking into more custom types like the Springfield Loaded (Not actually custom anymore, but built with parts that used to be only available on custom builds such as beavertail grip safeties, front slide serrations, skeletonized hammers and trigger, ambi thumb safeties and dovetail front sights.)

I personally have a Kimber and will tell you that I am more than happy with it but their bottom of the line offering (Custom II) matches the Springfield Loaded model in "Custom" accessories from the factory.

If you stick with Springfield you will not be disappointed.

IMO, the only problem with going Springfield is the tang is smaller than the .250" ones found on other models. This means you'll need to get a special beavertail (if you decide to add one). This limits the number of designs available including the ones that give you the highest grip. That maybe mostly and academic concern as the gun will likely out shoot you.

Traditional.... a single set of vertical slide serrations like the Springer GI, Colt Model 70, Rock Island Armory GI are the ones I think of.

Hardballing

Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    You know, I didn't note the dates until the former immediate post. And then it struck me how the attitudes/opinions regarding Colts have changed in that time.

Pound for pound, that lil ole roll marked Pony is pulling serious horsepower these days Gents. I have two I've gotten in the last year, a GC Trophy in stainless and for Christmas a Series 70 in stainless that I'll match up against anyone's out of the box 1911, short of the true customs.

GREAT polished flats, very nicely fitted slide/rail tension, and both are very accurate guns to boot. Yeah, they cost about $150-200 more than a comparable Springfield (for some reason Brazil on the frame bugs the crap out of me) but they'll also get that $150-200 back if I ever need to sell them. Check out GB pricing if you doubt what I'm saying here.

Colt is just producing top notch 1911's again is all I'm saying. And how can that be a bad thing? God Bless America and Happy New Year. :)

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2010
    fort polk area
    yeah i think colt is getting back to on top, I mean i like springers and the new remington R1. Colt has up the QC in the last 2-3 years, and I like the guns they are putting out now.

pawpaw131

Old School
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Lafourche
    Any truth to the rumor that Ruger will put out a 1911 this month?
    I've received a couple of e-mails from them this weekend about a
    release Monday, Jan 3.

JustinB

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Metairie
    images

Top Bottom