New: dark, cold, & snowy West Texas

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ksternes

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2019
    Alpine, TX
    I am new to the site and need to post my intro. My name is Keith, I am a life long farmer/rancher (hay and cattle), with a doctorate in genetics, pathogenic microbiology and molecular biology. I have lived in Texas since 1994. Prior I was in college at the Univ. of Nevada, Reno. I was raised on our family’s ranch in New Pine Creek, OR. Thanks to 21% interest I left working full time at the ranch to become a professor in Biology at Sul Ross State Univ in Alpine, TX. I still raise cattle and hay at the ranch. So you might ask what in the H*ll is a liberal a** PhD doing on a gun site. My sisters and I were taught to respect and understand the importance of owning, training and using firearms. We didn’t have a safe, guns were stored unloaded in an unlocked cabinet with ammunition in the next cupboard. OMG, what irresponsible parents. Not At All!! Children were taught and followed the rules of not touching the guns except with a parent. My two daughters, niece, nephews and grandson follow the exact same rules (we all have safes now).
    Unfortunately the closest schools to the ranch were in Kalifornia. BUT in 7th grade I and the other 6-8 graders received Hunter Safety training at our little one room schoolhouse. The principal (rancher’s wife and gun owner) arranged for a CA Game Warden to come up and train us during school hours, using real unloaded guns.
    So I have always used guns, own guns, reload, TX LTC, NRA Patron Life, TX State Rifle Assoc, member of the local sportsman’s club (range), and have a range at the ranch and here.
    I own rifles, shotguns, pistols and revolvers (some 100 yrs old others a couple of weeks). I am no longer at the Univ, quit in 2008. I am a lab supervisor at the local hospital ($ for ranch & guns ammo) and still farming/ranching.

Two phrases that will never cross my lips: “I have to much ammunition”, “I have to many guns”.

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    I am new to the site and need to post my intro. My name is Keith, I am a life long farmer/rancher (hay and cattle), with a doctorate in genetics, pathogenic microbiology and molecular biology. I have lived in Texas since 1994. Prior I was in college at the Univ. of Nevada, Reno. I was raised on our family’s ranch in New Pine Creek, OR. Thanks to 21% interest I left working full time at the ranch to become a professor in Biology at Sul Ross State Univ in Alpine, TX. I still raise cattle and hay at the ranch. So you might ask what in the H*ll is a liberal a** PhD doing on a gun site. My sisters and I were taught to respect and understand the importance of owning, training and using firearms. We didn’t have a safe, guns were stored unloaded in an unlocked cabinet with ammunition in the next cupboard. OMG, what irresponsible parents. Not At All!! Children were taught and followed the rules of not touching the guns except with a parent. My two daughters, niece, nephews and grandson follow the exact same rules (we all have safes now).
    Unfortunately the closest schools to the ranch were in Kalifornia. BUT in 7th grade I and the other 6-8 graders received Hunter Safety training at our little one room schoolhouse. The principal (rancher’s wife and gun owner) arranged for a CA Game Warden to come up and train us during school hours, using real unloaded guns.
    So I have always used guns, own guns, reload, TX LTC, NRA Patron Life, TX State Rifle Assoc, member of the local sportsman’s club (range), and have a range at the ranch and here.
    I own rifles, shotguns, pistols and revolvers (some 100 yrs old others a couple of weeks). I am no longer at the Univ, quit in 2008. I am a lab supervisor at the local hospital ($ for ranch & guns ammo) and still farming/ranching.

Two phrases that will never cross my lips: *I have to much ammunition*, *I have to many guns*.

Dude Welcome, I suspect this forum is below you're pay grade, However a Texas hog hunt is within the realm of possibilities???

ksternes

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2019
    Alpine, TX
    Not below mine at all. And most of the people at my work don’t know I am a doc, just plain old Keith. Between right after I quit teaching I was a contract welder for 2 yrs, then asst mgr at a local NAPA for another 2 yrs. Bayou shooter is an excellent resource for me. Glad to be part of it. Thanks

Gator 45/70

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Not below mine at all. And most of the people at my work don’t know I am a doc, just plain old Keith. Between right after I quit teaching I was a contract welder for 2 yrs, then asst mgr at a local NAPA for another 2 yrs. Bayou shooter is an excellent resource for me. Glad to be part of it. Thanks

Yall still in the dark over there? I have some people out that way,Still haven't heard much from em?

CatCam

Ready, Shoot, Aim!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    welcome to BS - I have a room temperature IQ.

My dad married his sister but it didn't effect me none. :rofl:

Top Bottom