New from Denham Springs

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TigerGirl

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2016
    Denham Springs, LA
    I grew up in the Toledo Bend area of Louisiana. When I was very young I shot a rifle and the scope kicked me in the eye. I hit the target, but ever since then I have been terrified of guns. I went hunting with family and friends, but I never shot another gun until Christmas 2015. This world is getting kind of crazy, and I thought it might be a good idea to learn to shoot, get a CCL, buy a gun, all that good stuff. My parents had bought each other Charter Arms .38 specials, and I shot both of them and fell in love! I'm a decent shot for going 20 years without ever shooting a gun! So now I am trying to do as much research as I can to buy the gun that is right for me.

I I plan to visit Precision Firearms because a police officer told me that was the only range he knew of where you can rent guns to shoot. I want to try different ones before I buy because I read that you should see if you like the way the different ones feel and shoot before committing to one.

I found this website by googling for different things and BS.com just kept coming up. I have looked around quite a bit and so far have really enjoyed the website and learned a bit, too.

I was hoping you guys could give me some recommendations of good resources and/or websites I can use to learn as much as possible about firearms. Any help would be seriously appreciated!

Thanks, Katie

beauxdog

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Ms Katie,
    The Range in Baker and the new range FRC also rent firearms. See if any of your co-workers have one can try. Be careful, well meaning folks can and do give false information
    Welcome to Bayou Shooter

Beauxdog

RG43

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2016
    Covington, La
    Welcome, Katie.

The Shooter's Club in Harahan also rents guns at the range. They have a variety to try, and it's a great way to get a feel for different types of guns. I also like St. Bernard Indoor Shooting Range in Arabi, if you are willing to travel that far. It's a very nice location and worth the drive if you have the time. You can always stop in at Rocky & Carlo's for a great meal afterward, which is alone worth the trip if you've never been there.

As for guns to look at, for CC it's hard to go wrong with a good snub nose 38spcl, with Ruger and S&W being the top names to look at. Very simple to use, dependable and pretty much foolproof. The other popular choice is semi-autos like a small Glock, S&W, Ruger or many other brands. These can be even easier to conceal than a revolver, and can carry more rounds. They are a little more complicated mechanically, though, and require more of the shooter to understand and be aware of. In a stressful situation when you need a gun, simple is usually better. But if you spend a lot of time practicing and getting familiar with your weapon, there is nothing wrong with a good semi-auto.

Good luck and happy shooting. Spending time at the range can be a very relaxing and a joyful experience, so have fun with it.

Last edited:

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    Welcome from Nola! My wife is from the Toledo bend area also. Good idea to try before you buy, and a great way to try is knowing someone with a bunch of different platforms you can try.

Top Bottom