New guy going to Ft. Polk

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Edmond

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2010
    Ft. Polk
    Hey gang,

I have orders to report to Polk in early Sept. I'm currently in OK right now.

Just looking to get an idea of the area and the gun laws of LA before I head out.

I don't know a single person in LA, haven't found a place to live yet, either.

If you have any suggestions for this newb, please let me know.

As for my guns, I'm mainly a pistol guy, I like the German variety. However, I do have a little 15-22 as a cheap plinker.

Also into cars, I hope the roads by Polk are good enough for me to take my Z06 out on.

Last edited:

blackened1313

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    slidell
    The city around Ft. Polk is a **** hole. Hwy 10 runs thru a nat'l forest though and is good riding. Other than that good luck. Everytime I get sent there for work I cringe.
    Compared to most places we have decent gun laws, as long as you dont act a fool in the street.

Storm52

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Shreveport
    Welcome to Diseaseville and the BS. As long as you have good warranty and don't care about front end alignment, jaw breaking pot holes, trying to dodge standing water in the ruts caused by overloads and poor engineering, you'll have a great time.

12secHemi

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2010
    Alexandria, LA
    Welcome to the site and X2 on the decent gun laws. What blackened forgot to mention was that Diseaseville was in Vermin Parish. Just wanted to clarify. :D

Last edited:

Edmond

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2010
    Ft. Polk
    As for the roads, looks like my Z06 is going to take a beating so I probably won't be driving it much. Great thing about OK is that there are a lot of wide open roads.

I'm from Chicago so pretty much everything looks better when compared to The Machine.

One thing I do want to do, though is build something in the AR platform in .223.

From my reading, I won't be able to apply for a CCW permit until I've lived there for 6+ months. I do have my out of state permit that LA recognizes so I'll be safe.

Any ranges near Polk? What about good gun shops?

Any suggestions on good places to live? Looking for an apartment for a single guy, hoping to spend <$600/month.

gsneff

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Gonzales
    welcome, and there are no 'good' roads in louisiana
    fishing_in_pothole.jpg

artabr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    New Iberia , Louisiana
    Welcome, & thanks for your service to the country.
    The post before mine covers the road situation. :D
    Polk has a good range from what I understand.
    The gun laws are some of the loosest in the country.

Good luck.

Art

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    I work on Fort Polk and the surrounding area imo is no different than the rest of LA. Not sure why the emphasis on the road is such a big deal. Vehicles have shocks these days. Maybe I'm just not old enough to feel every bump in the road.

Anyway, there are Public Ranges on base and guns are allowed but have to be unloaded and separate until you get to the range obviously.

The Local LEO's can be hit or miss with Gun Law knowledge. Some have declared at the Local Gun shop that Having Full Auto's in LA is illegal.

The Local Gun Shop is Star Gun & Archery a.k.a (Ridiculously HIGH prices and they charge $35 for Handgun Transfers)

As a Soldier "IF" you live on base your guns have to be registered with PMO.

Last edited:

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Welcome to LA & BS- and thanks!:)

Your being from Chicago- and being a gun guy- you'll love it in Louisiana!

GIJeaux

Army Retired
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Leesville/Ft Polk, La.
    I work on Fort Polk and the surrounding area imo is no different than the rest of LA. Not sure why the emphasis on the road is such a big deal. Vehicles have shocks these days. Maybe I'm just not old enough to feel every bump in the road.

Anyway, there are Public Ranges on base and guns are allowed but have to be unloaded and separate until you get to the range obviously.

The Local LEO's can be hit or miss with Gun Law knowledge. Some have declared at the Local Gun shop that Having Full Auto's in LA is illegal.

The Local Gun Shop is Star Gun & Archery a.k.a (Ridiculously HIGH prices and they charge $35 for Handgun Transfers)

As a Soldier "IF" you live on base your guns have to be registered with PMO.

You got it Hitman but, I just called the MP station to double check and here is the "Skinny" on "Privately Owned Weapons" (POW's) on post. If you are Active duty military assigned to Ft Polk and reside on post you must register your firearms with the Provost Marshal. If you are active duty and reside off post you do not have to register your POWs UNLESS you bring them on post. ie: the Sportsmans range. This was always the case no matter where I was stationed in the Army that's why I thought that I would double check.
    Now, for everyone else, like retirees there is no requirement to register. If you are going to the range you may carry your firearms on post and back off again. No loaded weapons.

I hope this helps.
    Al

GIJeaux

Army Retired
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Leesville/Ft Polk, La.
    Hey gang,

I have orders to report to Polk in early Sept. I'm currently in OK right now.

Just looking to get an idea of the area and the gun laws of LA before I head out.

I don't know a single person in LA, haven't found a place to live yet, either.

If you have any suggestions for this newb, please let me know.

As for my guns, I'm mainly a pistol guy, I like the German variety. However, I do have a little 15-22 as a cheap plinker.

Also into cars, I hope the roads by Polk are good enough for me to take my Z06 out on.

Welcome Edmond. Oklahoma? Ft Sill? Tell me you're a Red Leg. Here is link to the Ft Polk Webpage if you don't have it. Lots of good info. http://www.jrtc-polk.army.mil/
    I work on Post at the JRTC Joint Operations Center so, if there is anything I can do here for you before you get here just ask.
    Again, Welcome.
    Al

Last edited:

Edmond

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2010
    Ft. Polk
    Welcome Edmond. Oklahoma? Ft Sill? Tell me you're a Red Leg. Here is link to the Ft Polk Webpage if you don't have it. Lots of good info. http://www.jrtc-polk.army.mil/
    I work on Post at the JRTC Joint Operations Center so, if there is anything I can do here for you before you get here just ask.
    Again, Welcome.
    Al

Al,

Yes, I am a Red Leg. Not sure on what my role will be. I'll either be a Fire Direction Officer, Fire Support Officer or Platoon Leader.

Will contact you back channel.

bro777

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    Elmer,La. In the center.
    Yea kinda repeat what everyone has said. I have lived about 30 miles east of Leesville for 40 years. Your gonna need to get used to the heat and th roads. The gun laws are good. Good luck with the AR. Welcome to BS.

Top Bottom