New Hunter - questions

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LongRange

Weatherby...no Substitute
    Rating - 97%
    32   1   0
    Mar 1, 2008
    Gonzales LA
    No thats why they call me Bullshitter,lol.... The only way im a Tripod is when im laying face down and thats cuz of my 3rd nipple.

TwoGuns

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Lafayette
    LOL - thanks guys, this is very helpful info to me ... except the third nipple of course!

I was hoping very much not to have to buy a whole lot of gear in the way of camo. I want to get by with a good parka/jacket and headgear. Man, those shows on TV are real fun to watch but you got to have an 18 wheeler to tote all the latest gear that they use ... I just can't see wanting to do that. Like I said, I just want to learn some good skills this year and put some meat on the table.

I use a cast bullet for .45 Colt --- 282gr semi-wadcutter. I'll be pushing close to 1200fps. This is what I am training with and plan to use. My revolver has been tweaked to maximize cast bullets. My training right now is all offhand out to 25 yards --- haven't got consistent on 8" circle yet. I am going to start mixing in some 50yd work in the spring.

Never thought about the perspective on deer **** you guys mentioned ... different food supply, different water sources, different genetics ... I guess that all plays into how your **** smells.

Anyone know of a good resource book that has maybe been written by someone from our area that is worth putting time into? I know nothing beats getting on the ground but I spend a month at a time offshore so reading is always good.

TwoGuns

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    Rather than the semi wadcutter, I would recommend one of the LBT designs. They are superior hunting bullets. Beartooth Bullets is an excellent company to deal with. These are premium cast bullets. I would recommend the 285 gr LMN or perhaps one of the 300 gr offerings. I use the 340 gr LFN in my FA .454. It is an absolute hammer from all angles. www.beartoothbullets.com/bulletselect/index.htm

Dan

TwoGuns

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Lafayette
    Thanks dzelenka,

Maybe we can get a 340gn over to LongRange for a piercing!!!!!

I have had the 300+ gr in mind. I started working with the 282gr LWSC from Montana Bullet Works - it is from the RCBS 270-SAA mold ---- large meplat. I am now starting with loads using H110. Tried some Universal but won't be getting the velocity I want. I do want to work up to the 300gr LFN's in the near future but not sure if I want to go all the way up to 340. Are you using those as a .454 load or .45?

TwoGuns

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    Freedom Arms .454. I don't have my reloading info at the office, but I remember that I am using H110 and getting 1575 fps. It will penetrate a big deer end to end and exit even if you drive it through the neck, partway down the spine, through the guts and out through the femur. It is pretty instant. I can also tell you that it will kill very quickly with a broadside lung shot hitting no bones.

You don't need the 340 for your gun. It would probably be quite unpleasant to shoot. Something between 280 and 300 grains with a fairly large meplat will work quite well.

The 340 in the Casull is hard on scopes.

CZowner07

XD>Glock but<CZ
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Saint Martinville/Lafayette
    Thanks Sound - as much as I can tell for now, handgunning will be at ranges very similar to bow hunting so I will keep in mind your knowledge on camo. I didn't mean to say that I would intend to smoke while in a stand or blind ... just that clothes pick up the smell and hang on to it for a long time.

TwoGuns

Not if you use a .460 they have 150+yard range.

cajungunslinger

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I am a few years from any of my previous hunting - I am now 46 and never shot a deer. I am working toward/planning to hunt deer with a handgun this next season. My last year has been spent practicing and reading. This year will be more practice and starting to get supplies.

Is there a particular camo pattern best used in Louisiana (south, north, etc)?
    Is it necessary to have camo head to toe?
    What about scent control so often advertised on hunting shows? I am a smoker.
    What about doe urine for attracting? Is this usually used?
    Anyone use a handheld GPS when scouting/hunting? What type? Is it easy to obtain good topos for the handheld GPS's?

I am expecting my first hunts to be with one of my nephews. He is an accomplished hunter and will put me in a good place I am sure - S. La. My goal is to be very proficient out to 50 yards ... I don't mind passing on longer shots. I am in it for the learning experience this year.

Any tips or answer is appreciated,
    TwoGuns

To answer your questions, in order:

Is there a particular camo pattern best used in Louisiana (south, north, etc)?

Not really, I prefer Realtree APG

Is it necessary to have camo head to toe?

Only if your on the ground

What about scent control so often advertised on hunting shows? I am a smoker.

I've smoked half a pack on the stand a still got a deer. Smoke doesn't bother deer trust me.

What about doe urine for attracting? Is this usually used?

I killed my first deer last year with some Tinks #69 hanging off a tree.Its good but only use it during the rut.

Also I'll throw in some info about deer hunting.

I would not recommend hunting deer with a handgun. A rifle is more accurate and you are less likely to simply injure a deer and not get the kill. Good hunters try to avoid injuring a deer and prefer a "clean shot" to execute a kill.Its just good sportsman etiquette.

Good luck hunting!

-steve

TwoGuns

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Lafayette
    LongRange - Is this because of weight limits on the treestand? what about one person wearing a harness!!!!!!

Cajungunslinger - thanks for your input.

I notice a couple of replies referencing rifles because of long range (100+ yards). How do bowhunters survive w/o rifles? Also, I would have thought most of Louisiana hunting to be considered ideal for bowhunting/short range shots because of dense woods. I at least remember my couple of trips a number of years ago ... running dogs and still ... that brush was quite thick. I know some of the power line clearings leave room for longer range. (?) Any input appreciated ...

TwoGuns

scubasteve

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 12, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    May I chime in ? Steve here. 30+ years huntin' deers in Sth. LA. Love bein' in th woods.
    Ya want my advice ? Apply the KISS Principle. Keep It Simple Steve. I'm a swamp hunter. 9.9 times out of 10 I'm huntin' with water up to my nuts, not in a tree stand. I smoke. I eat Poodle Peckers. I leave scat at least 2 times year.

#1 Get comfortable with your gun. You wanna hunt with a pistol ? No problem. You have a good one in the Blackhawk. I've kilt deers with a 10mm and a .41 Mag. All were one shot kills within 50 yards.

#2 Watch those "huntin' shows" only for comedic relief. No need for the latest style in camoflage. Wear clothing that is comfortable and appropriate for the situation. I don't wear coveralls, 'cuz I did the ol' shat in the collar once. Layer your clothing, 'cuz the temp may be 29 in the mornin' and 60 in the afternoon. Sit still, PAY ATTENTION, and be patient. You will be given th oppurtunity to kilt a deer. There are more deer than ever in the state right now.

#3 Carry a small backpack or fanny pack. Have terlit paper, water, asprin, some snacks, extra bullets, your huntin' license with a PEN and some zip ties, and a GOOD flashlight.

#4 Have fun and play nice.

TwoGuns

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Lafayette
    Talk less. Shoot more.

I like this Steve .... thanks for your advice. It is nice to know that there is still a simple element around (no disrespect). It does seem like everything is getting so complicated that it makes you wonder how our predecessors ever got by without being able to shoot 500yds.

So true about our weather ... cold for 4-5 hours then warm as a late spring day in the afternoon. It's horrible here offshore like that.

Thanks again for the advice and reminder on the supplies.

TwoGuns

scubasteve

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 12, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Me, Dan, and LongRange are a pretty good cross section of hunter. I hunt with hounds, Tom is the management guy, and LR is the sniper. Just keep in mind that you are supposed to be having fun.
    If you want to make a hunt or two this comin' season, let me know. I have a camp in the Basin. Bring your own beer and sleepin' bag.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom