New Kel Tec shotgun

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rahllin

Geaux Tigers!
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Feb 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Kinda looks like the RFB . $20 says it will take forever to get those out in decent numbers

Same thing I was thinking. The PMR-30 was highly anticipated, yet they kept pushing the release back month after month only to finally release them in very small numbers.

Bam Bam

Certified gun nut!
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Denham Springs/Watson, La
    Same thing I was thinking. The PMR-30 was highly anticipated, yet they kept pushing the release back month after month only to finally release them in very small numbers.

You think any other manufacturer can produce this type of weapon quickly and in large amounts? I seem to remember Ruger taking years to produce the P-85! The KSG will be worth waiting for I'm sure.

Bam Bam

Rahllin

Geaux Tigers!
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Feb 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    You think any other manufacturer can produce this type of weapon quickly and in large amounts? I seem to remember Ruger taking years to produce the P-85! The KSG will be worth waiting for I'm sure.

Bam Bam

Oh, I have no doubt about that. I think the PMR-30 was a cool innovation worth the extra wait. I am just saying that this thing is going to have EVERYONE wanting one, including me, I think it is badass and wouldn't mind having one. The problem, Kel-Tec put out a release date for the PMR-30 and pushed it back several times, then released it in small amounts.

I just hope they have them available for their release date if they schedule one. A company like that should be able to take a little time to figure out how long it will take them to produce x number of these things, and base a release date accordingly.

some_goat

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Baker/Central area
    I remember hearing that Kel Tec was building some new buildings for production . I wonder if they are done yet or are they biting off more than . They have produced a few new weapons that i believe ppl want but cant keep up with supply . Im thinking with production of this new shot gun it will only slow them down more .
    Also i think i will take one in the next 3yrs they become available .

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Its cool looking but im sure it will be overpriced and will require lots of play time to actually make her run,

ANd YES I do own a few keltec products already

03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville
    Im not sure why so many are doubting if it will function. Its basically a copy (whether in design or in concept) of the neosted shotgun. It is a 13 rnd double mag tube shotgun

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-EiFtypUfQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-EiFtypUfQ[/ame]

Tulse Luper

Besmirched!
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Metairie
    Me thinks it won't work.

Because it's a "bullpup", the tube switching mechanism, both, or something else.

I'm worried about the same; I wonder if a single tube KISS would have been a better start. I would take the lighter weight of a single tube and the FANTASTIC OAL of a bullpup for a bed side shotgun in a heart beat.

03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville
    Because it's a "bullpup", the tube switching mechanism, both, or something else.

I'm worried about the same; I wonder if a single tube KISS would have been a better start. I would take the lighter weight of a single tube and the FANTASTIC OAL of a bullpup for a bed side shotgun in a heart beat.

7+1 would still be great

James Cannon

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    Laffy
    Looks like an answer in search of a problem.

The dual-mag tube design in a bullpup is neat in that it has the benefit of increased capacity with the advantage of keeping the weight nearer the shoulder. That's about where the pleasantries end in my mind.

The bullpup is bottom ejecting. This gives the disadvantage of not seeing confirmation of ejection in the event of a FTE. There's a second or two before you will realize if there's a problem, whereas side-ejection shotguns give an immediate visual cue. Anyone who's seen people take old Browning pump guns to the skeet range has seen them have this problem.

The coupling of the loading gate with the ejection port also has the disadvantage of limiting the access to the chamber. With shotguns like the Mossy 500 and Remmy 870, you can access the magazine from underneath, and the bolt and chamber from the side, increasing access to the action in the case of malfunctions.

Did anyone notice the pic of the gun with flip up BUIS? Ridiculous! Not only have you used the wrong sights for the gun, you've put them on a gun with a nearly halved sight radius! Those sights have one home, and that's on a slug gun that's going to be firing >75yards and closer to 100-150 yards. This gun was not meant for that, so that advert pic is hilariously gimmicky at best. This gun needs a red dot sight, and if you really want a backup, keep the red dot (or reflex) on a LaRue QD mount so you can toss it off in the event of a failure, and revert to the backup sight. The backup sight should be nothing more than a single post front site or fiber optic style front sight. Ghost rings or flip up AR sights are... pointless. They will only slow you down and make accurate alignment harder.

I'm also not a fan of the ergos of a pump in a bullpup arrangement. When wing shooting a standard shotgun, it's quite easy to follow the bore axis with the pump motion without imparting much lateral force on the shotgun. If you bring that slide closer to your shoulder, you are physically much more liable to impart lateral movement to the gun, pushing/pulling it off target. That's my impression anyways. I'd have to give it a try and see how fluid I could get with such a different motion.

Not a fan of having to MANUALLY switch from one mag tube to the next, but that's minor.

Plus it's fugly :dogkeke: but that's not a big deal.

I'm just not seeing it.

Top Bottom